Talk

Advanced search

Bath toys (age 5 and 3) ideas please! :)

(25 Posts)
fuzzpig Wed 10-Oct-12 18:19:32

Especially ones that are easy to keep clean. Most bath toys in ELC etc are quite babyish, ATM they just have a couple of decrepit ducks and obviously old shampoo bottles etc so it would be nice to have something more interesting, but durable.

Any ideas please?

pigleychez Wed 10-Oct-12 18:24:16

My DD's are 2 and 4 and like you we need some new bath toys.

I was planning on getting something like this as they love imaginative play with animals.

Other popular things are Bath crayons and foam letters that stick to the tiles. DD1 enjoys making up words with them and very educational too!

DharmaBumpkin Wed 10-Oct-12 18:41:24

I will watch with interest. I have DD's, 2 & 8, and I've just thrown out lots of mouldy squirt animals etc with the idea Santa might bring more, but am struggling for inspiration!

We have had bath fun with glow sticks, about £5 for 100 on EBay.

Friends have the Disney Little Mermaid but am trying not to go down that route!

MooseyMoo Wed 10-Oct-12 18:41:54

The best thing I have bought was a waterproof torch. Got one from 99p shop but didn't last long so have been looking for better version.

SizzleSazz Wed 10-Oct-12 18:43:09

My 5 and 4 year old have had loads of play value from this

MooseyMoo Wed 10-Oct-12 18:44:25

Also bought some mouldable bath foam which is great fun for me

Have got this one at mo www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317--154595-Peppa+Pig+foam+soap

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 10-Oct-12 18:45:25

Bubbles (so they dont soak the carpet)
Food colouring for a coloured bath
Hawkins Bazaar had 'Bath Football' in last year and other older bath toys.

Beamur Wed 10-Oct-12 18:47:11

My DD has some plastic dinosaurs that she plays with a lot - they are easy to keep clean, don't get black mould inside because they are solid - I've also got some stick on foam dinosaurs that came with some background type pieces - so I stick these on the bath, plonk the dinos in with her and off she goes - they have all sorts of adventures.

fuzzpig Wed 10-Oct-12 18:48:14

Aaaargh yes the mouldy rubber ducks! <shudder>

We have also tried bath crayons but they only lasted one bath as the DCs were a bit overenthusiastic.

I am tempted by this bath basketball

Also someone on here once recommended this which looks amazing but I'm a bit cynical as all the foamy things we've used before have gone manky pretty fast.

bulletwithspookybatwings Wed 10-Oct-12 18:50:16

Octonauts toys can be used in the bath, The Gup-C squirts water and the figures float, there is a 'Jake and the Neverland Pirates' 'Bucky' bath toy that looks quite good. smile

Inneedofbrandy Wed 10-Oct-12 18:51:56

My 2 have the most fun with the plastic spray bottles or mini water pistols from poundland. When they were younger they loved this penguin slide where the peguin magically slid up the side of the slide before sliding down.

<try saying that many slide's after a glass of wine>

pigleychez Wed 10-Oct-12 18:57:01

Fuzzy- we have a person/dress up one like the roads made by ALEX.

They dont go mouldy at all and are great. smile

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 10-Oct-12 19:33:13

Alex Toys and Tomy have good bath products that appeal to these ages. Good selection on Amazon.

fuzzpig Wed 10-Oct-12 19:35:25

Lots of great ideas thanks!

I do have a netting bag thing that hangs up to tidy toys in, I should probably dig that out and actually keep the bath toys tidy blush

MrsJohnDeere Wed 10-Oct-12 19:38:54

Mine are just slightly older (4 and 6). They have lots of water-related pLaymobil in their bath - pirate boats (small ones), Police boat, some divers, a kayak. The not thing I have to watch out for is that they don't remove some of the tiny bits which then fall down the plug hole never to be seen again <sigh>

Springforward Wed 10-Oct-12 19:39:00

Ikea stacking cups set, plus a Little People boat are the current faves here (aged 4), or an empty shampoo bottle if there's one kicking about.

We had to throw away an Octonauts GUP-B (?) toy plus Captain Barnacle because of black mould inside both which I couldn't get at - would not recommend for the bath.

lljkk Wed 10-Oct-12 19:41:02

Snorkel + snorkel mask.
Watering cans, boats.
Little wind up toys that buzz around the bath on their own.

lljkk Wed 10-Oct-12 19:41:26

And anything tubey that they can siphon liquids off with.

PurplyWurply Fri 12-Oct-12 02:12:11

Bath Xylophone is a hit here!

MySecretSelf Fri 12-Oct-12 07:35:01

I've not shared this tip for a while, but an idea I got from MN was to soak mouldy bath toys in coke - bizarrely it really works! Soak overnight, then use a washing up brush or something to wash them.

On toys though YY to foam letters, roads etc - big hit here. Also agree to watch out for Oconauts toys in the bath - The eyes etc on DS's very hard to track down at the time figures are all rubbing away.

'wow' toys are pretty reasonable - DS has a couple of boats which he uses in the bath.

AngryFeet Fri 12-Oct-12 08:06:44

DH got one of these from America. It was nowhere near this expensive though. The kids love it!

OVoodooZombiesEatYourBrains Fri 12-Oct-12 12:34:04

We have the Tomy Rescue Action Centre. It is played with every single time and my DS's are almost 8 and almost 5. I had worried it was a bit babyish for my older one but it's the favourite bath toy of them both.

OVoodooZombiesEatYourBrains Fri 12-Oct-12 12:38:16

Helps if I put a link.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 12-Oct-12 12:40:43

I was going to say Ikea stacking cups, but someone else beat me to it! My 6 and 2 year olds love them, and there are eight, so plenty to go round.

birdofthenorth Fri 12-Oct-12 12:42:08

Wilkes do a mega cheap foam bath clock to help teach the time.

They also sell the foam letters and foam city (build flats, houses, move around trees and cars etc) which my dc love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now