Talk

Advanced search

How old were your dc's when....

(10 Posts)
TallulahTwinkle Mon 08-Oct-12 16:29:34

.... they stopped believing in Father Christmas?

My eldest was 10 but think my dd (9) doesn't believe anymore sad

Is this a typical age do you think?

Sorry if been done before smile

(Thread title edited by MNHQ)

Onadietcolabreak Mon 08-Oct-12 16:35:11

Last year for DD1 she was 11, I was really sad, but now I think is great, she's really excited about helping me with our Elf on the shelf this year.

I was 9, but would have been a believer for much longer if my dad had been a little quieter when filling the stockings wink

FireOverBabylon Mon 08-Oct-12 16:40:23

OP, is there any way you could amend the thread title? I know last year there were a few complaints from mums whose children looked over their shoulders when mumsnetting and came to realise that the jolly chap in the red coat was not all he seemed, when they would have otherwise believed for another couple of years.

TallulahTwinkle Mon 08-Oct-12 17:21:10

Oh no, never even thought of that!

Have reported it, not sure if anything I can do meanwhile, please tell me if there is?

<would hate any dc's to read it>

moogalicious Mon 08-Oct-12 17:23:28

dd1 was 9 after she overheard my big mouth DH talking on the phone hmm

Of course, she has told the other 2 dcs but they're not sure.

bigTillyMint Mon 08-Oct-12 17:25:48

DS stopped before DD - he was probably 6 (can't pull the wool over his eyes!) She was then 8 and wouldn't have a bar of itgrin I think she stopped by 9 though.

They still love pretending (and the stocking of course) aged 11 and 13 smile

Chopstheduck Mon 08-Oct-12 17:26:15

I think about 9ish for the older two. The twins still believe, they are 7. I tend to buy in advance and squirrel little bits away during the year. I accidentally left two nerf guns on the stairs though last week, after they were delivered. The boys came home, spotted them, I said noooo, they are for Xmas! (without thinking)

they just looked at me disparagingly and said, don't be silly mummy, father christmas brings the presents! <sigh>

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Oct-12 17:30:24

DD was 6 - she'd started being skeptical the previous year but still wanted to believe it. When she was 4 she'd noticed that the santa in the grotto wasn't the same chap as the year before but rationalised that there was only ever one real Santa, the ones in grottoes are retired ones helping out grin

TallulahTwinkle Mon 08-Oct-12 21:58:20

Thank you Olivia mumsnet for shortening my thread title!

Thanks everyone, you've made me feel better - think she doesn't believe but just doesn't want to tell me, bless her.

Startailoforangeandgold Tue 09-Oct-12 22:59:12

8 I think and it was such a relief.

I never wanted to start the nonsense in the first place, but DH insisted.

I was firmly brought up not to believe in fairies, God or Father Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now