Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you make a gingerbread house?

(15 Posts)
IWantAnotherBaby Sun 07-Oct-12 12:43:37

OK, perhaps a silly question, but I don't want to buy a kit with pre-baked gingerbread, and what I'm getting at is:

-Do you use house-shaped cutters, or moulds, or what?
-If so where do you buy them?
-Do you have any good links with instructions etc?
-What gingerbread recipe do you use?

I really want to spend a day/ weekend baking a house with the children (and for this to become a family tradition), so any advice would be great. Thanks!

The latest Great British Bake off book has a recipe, instructions and templates.

You trace the templates onto greaseproof and then use them to form the dough or cut it once baked etc.

I got my copy in tesco for £8

hth

Rosa Sun 07-Oct-12 13:06:25

Before you do the templates practice getting the thickness correct , just bake some and do some simple shapes . Then you can get the dough even and it will not bubble or become uneven.

We actually do 2 one baked ( me) and then one pre bought as it is easier and quicker with the dds who just actually want to stick the sweets on.

GrandPoohBah Sun 07-Oct-12 17:25:15

Ooh, good question, I was mulling over doing one this year too!

How long do the houses last for, nibbly DCs aside?

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 07-Oct-12 17:30:20

Also, if you want to cut right to the designy/buildy bit, I've seen packs of chilled gingerbread dough in both Ikea and Sainsbos.

TeaOneSugar Sun 07-Oct-12 18:16:31

I always buy a kit, DD enjoys the decorating part, the rest always sounds fiddly to me.

We do other less technical festive baking together like the Christmas Cake and the mincemeat and then mincepies.

theroseofwait Sun 07-Oct-12 18:18:46

I've just bought the Lakeland set which looks like it will do the job-haven't even thought of the recipe yet!

Inneedofbrandy Sun 07-Oct-12 18:21:32

Sainsburys dough is amazing

<drooling>

forcookssake Sun 07-Oct-12 19:46:47

I bought a set of cutters in the January sales, which supposedly creates walls that will 'clip/slot' together. I've not used it myself, but I'm an eternal optimist and want to believe it will work grin

gingerbread house - cutters for walls which slot together?!

Gotta to be worth a try, too many years spent so far with gloopy icing and tins of beans propping up either side of each wall!

bigTillyMint Sun 07-Oct-12 19:50:59

IKEA used to sell the pieces of gingerbread for the house - you "just" had to glue them together with icing and decorate it.

I have every kind of admiration for those bakers on the GBBO smile

bigTillyMint Sun 07-Oct-12 19:52:07

Oops, just seen you don't want to buy a kitblush

geogteach Sun 07-Oct-12 19:52:11

There is one on the BBC good food website with the templates to print out and trace onto greaseproof. I managed it last year even though I am not usually great on the sort of cooking where appearances count.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 07-Oct-12 21:08:38

bigTillyMint - Ikea also have their gingerbread kit in already, as well as the chilled dough.

swooosh Mon 08-Oct-12 09:55:54

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4900/ I did that one last year! It was lovely, and not too difficult. It lasted ages, well we had it out for a week but it was driving the dog mad so we ended up chucking what was left.

I've got bigger and better plans this year! grin

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Mon 08-Oct-12 10:25:58

I do this every year and after baking my own gingerbread and cutting templates etc have repeatedly bought IKEA gingerbread kits over past few years. DC want to decorate and stick together. The whole baking thing is too much.

ooh do Ikea now do chilled dough? might do that too.

thanks hazel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now