Talk

Advanced search

Gift ideas for SIL

(16 Posts)
DesperatelySeekingPomBears Sun 07-Oct-12 10:44:32

I have the loveliest, but hardest to buy for SIL in the world.

She has specifically requested no smellies, doesn't like foodie stuff, on the rare occasions she drinks its expensive champagne, she only wears expensive clothes and doesn't have any hobbies as she's very busy with two young DC. She's a nurse so I did wonder about ordering her some of the Milton Brown handcream from the bargain present thread as I wondered if the constant use of hand sanitizer might dry out hands?

I only have about £15 to spend, does anyone have any suggestions??? TIA.

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Sun 07-Oct-12 10:50:14

How about the Uniqlo Orla Kiely scarf also mentioned on that thead?

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Sun 07-Oct-12 10:51:41

I did think about that but I've never seen her wear a scarf. She's soo awkward (unintentionally of course!)

newtonupontheheath Sun 07-Oct-12 11:00:23

Really small bottle of champagne? With 2 dc and work, would she just enjoy one glass?!

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Sun 07-Oct-12 11:03:58

does she like having her nails done or a facial? you can get some good deals for manicure/pedicure at moment.

Or do what we do now - buy for the kids and not the adults. That solves a multitude of problems. grin

newtonupontheheath Sun 07-Oct-12 11:18:55

Oh yeah jax we do that too!

Just get the kids...

Keep the champagne for yourself wink

oreocrumbs Sun 07-Oct-12 11:29:42

Ask BIL or her/your parents what they are getting and see if there is something you could get to go with it. E.g if she was getting a diary you could get a nice pen.

I often piggy back on other people's ideas. Not because I'm lazy much, but I think I woulod rather have one 'set' of stuff rather than 5 or 6 'bits' of stuff.

Failing that get the handcream - it's what my SILs are getting wink.

Or the lipgloss which comes in at £5.95 and the scarf £10.

LilQueenie Sun 07-Oct-12 13:32:11

boots giftcard or similar

thewhistler Sun 07-Oct-12 13:38:20

Give her a handmade voucher offering to give het some time off, so you look after the kids or do the ironing or something. It'll be personal and unique.

bloodybuilder Sun 07-Oct-12 13:42:38

I think hand cream is a "smelly" so she may not want it
John Lewis voucher?

attheendoftheday Sun 07-Oct-12 23:50:50

A nice notebook or diary?

SundaeGirl Sun 07-Oct-12 23:55:05

Does she have an Amazin wish list?

mavornia Mon 08-Oct-12 00:07:18

I would love this - Eve Lom lip balm:

uk.spacenk.com/Kiss-Mix/MUK153990009,en_GB,pd.html?cm_mmc=Google+Desktop-_-F3D+-+Eve+Lom-_-F3D+-+Eve+Lom+-+Kiss+Mix-_-eve+lom+lip+balm-Exact&gclid=CJWi7LuA8LICFQ_MtAodAlMARg

i would never spend 16 quid on it myself but would love to receive it

i think the key with a smaller budget is to go for something extravagant and luxe like the lip balm rather than going for bulk or cheap and chgeerful

mavornia Mon 08-Oct-12 00:14:02

or who wouldn't want these - bird sticky post-it notes!

www.bigtomatocompany.com/gifts.php?prd=747

tenner

mavornia Mon 08-Oct-12 00:33:11

last ideas

this fab book, ive bough it for lots of people

www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Ever-Done-That-Worked/dp/1848501145/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349652227&sr=1-1

or these teaspoons from cath kidston, cute without being too twee and so handy, everyone needs extra teaspoons!

www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-18672-cath-kidston-set-of-4-provence-rose-teaspoons.aspx

or a classic film you think she might love wrapped up with a big bar of dairy milk - gone with the wind, it's a wonerful life, the quiet man, roman holiday, the way we were...twilight -whatever floats her boat

unfitmummy Mon 08-Oct-12 02:05:39

Last year I got my wonderful sil a calendar featuring photos of her kid, and some other members of the family. It was a massive hit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now