Talk

Advanced search

How do you do your Christmas Shopping?

(16 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 06-Oct-12 21:20:54

I was out last Friday mooching round the shops while my car was in the garage.
And I was thinking, if I had to do all my shopping in one fell swoop, I'd be like Cruella D'Ville by the time I got to shop number 3. All the bags, trying to keep my purse safe, not bumping people or things on shelves.

If you do it all online, does that mean you miss out on the 'fun' of traipsing round and picking up bargains.

And if you do it a bit at a time, it seems never ending (plus you have to put up with other shoppers' endless moaning) .

So, what's your shopping style, Christmas Thread People wink

Goldpippin Sat 06-Oct-12 21:26:11

I buy most my presents online during October and November and then in December just hit the shops for all the little bits like stocking fillers, decorations, new clothes etc and for the dc main present from Father CHristmas as that comes from their list which they do on the first weekend of December.

Inneedofbrandy Sat 06-Oct-12 21:32:33

I usually be really sensible and buy something everyweek while out anyway and internet. Then go mad xmas eve and buy the whole of tescos and sainsburys when it's half price. This year there having 5 presents each plus stockings and iv'e already got 3 each for them.

wheredidiputit Sat 06-Oct-12 21:37:54

I do as much online as possible, during Oct and Nov. And only get bits and pieces.

Mainly as I don't have a car during the week.

wheredidiputit Sat 06-Oct-12 21:38:39

I also go through Quidco, so get cashback as wells.

fuzzpig Sat 06-Oct-12 21:44:11

Most of mine is done online, partly to save money, partly due to crippling social anxiety. I do like browsing the shops when they are quiet though and I get some bits that way - but early on, not when it's proper Xmas shopping season, it's hell on earth for me in the mall in December.

Soditall Sat 06-Oct-12 21:51:29

Mostly online because I can not stand the un Christmas attitude of many of shoppers.

I also like to have it all done before December so every day of that month we can do something nice with our 5 children.

I do go shopping with one child a week starting from the end of November.So they get some one on one time with me and get to buy some presents for other people and we go out for a nice grown up meal together as well.

cece Sat 06-Oct-12 21:56:06

I buy throughout the year, whenever I see something I know someone will like. I also tend to do most of it online as well.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 06-Oct-12 23:45:20

Soditall I really like the idea of the 1:1 with the DC.
DH and I do a ChildFree shop at the end of December and we take the DC out in the week before Christmas (to spend the proceeds of the £2 jar. We put it in DH bank account last year and bought something each online, then gave the DC their share)

I could take DS and DD out alone for a shopping trip and a meal - to buy the sibling present and DH present. Then spent 2 hours in Primark/Game. <<sigh>>
The DC can buy my present online (I'm being presumptious here that they'll buy me something) blush

Toothiepeg Sat 06-Oct-12 23:49:18

I buy bits here and there and then generally have a day off work when yes I do have a lot of bags! Last year it was pouring with rain that day too - no way could I manage an umbrella!

Amazon. I buy a lot of toys and the high street doesn't cut it anymore sad. I miss it.

roughtyping Sun 07-Oct-12 09:03:11

A bit at a time. Was just saying to OH last night that I LOVE Christmas shopping because I satisfy my shopping desires but I don't feel guilty :D

Have bought my sisters' and one of DS's gifts in shops, rest of stuff (for DS and OH so far) online. And I LOVE spreading it out and looking for good presents :D

Arisbottle Sun 07-Oct-12 09:04:58

I go into town on 22nd or 23rs December and get it done on one day

oreocrumbs Sun 07-Oct-12 09:55:06

Another one who does the bulk of it early and online.

I really love shopping though so will still go with DD every week and have a mooch. It tends not to be too bad because I have time off mid week, so we go then rather than having to battle the Saturday hoards.

The things I tend to leave to the last few weeks are the low thought presents like boots gift sets, so I don't have to get too stressed trying to find an important gift, or stand with handbags at dawn for the last toy of the year grin.

I love Christmas shopping....a nip in the air, a gingerbread latte in hand and a selection of carrier bags is a nice way to spend the day. [Shallow emoticon]

MamaGeekChic Sun 07-Oct-12 10:01:50

I do any 'boring' stuff ie from shops i don't enjoy etc online then do the lovely bits in person one all the decs are up and the music's on. I'll do my shopping in Edinburgh so anything I'd need to venture onto princes st for gets done online whereas I do george st/multrees walk etc in person smile

everydayaschoolday Sun 07-Oct-12 21:07:37

Christmas shopping begins in Jan sales - all my wrapping, tags and cards for the next year! Then summer sales online for toys on an adhoc basis.

Proper christmas shopping, even stocking fillers (unless happen to catch an in-store bargain while doing normal shopping), is done in Sep and Oct online. Online allows me to search easier for bargains and sales. Spreadsheet keeps me in budget. Xmas food treats done in Nov Dec such as choc coins, selection boxes etc from the supermarket/poundstores.

Sounds shallow and heartless. But the online shopping is done in evening when kids are in bed. And I have all Dec to enjoy advent with the DH & kids (sometimes in town to see the lights and have a hot choc at Starbuckies) without the stress of shopping or wrapping hanging over me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now