Talk

Advanced search

Craft Kits for 5yo and 3yo - decent ones and ones to avoid?

(34 Posts)
fuzzpig Fri 05-Oct-12 18:46:54

From previous threads I gather moon dough/sand, aqua beads and bendaroos are firmly on the Avoid Like The Plague list grin

I'm getting some Hama beads and Shrinkles for me my DCs but would love some recommendations for other kits, and maybe this will be a useful thread for many MNers this Xmas smile

Inneedofbrandy Fri 05-Oct-12 18:56:54

Marking my place smile

Ikea do a version of Hama beads for better value.

Zeeky Fri 05-Oct-12 19:21:27

I've ordered a load of small craft kits from Yellow Moon, to keep my two busy in the run up to Christmas (aged 5 & 2.5). They have a huge selection.

Goldpippin Fri 05-Oct-12 19:22:41

Another yellow moon fan here, I have ordered some lovely craft bits this year and it is really good value.

fuzzpig Fri 05-Oct-12 19:50:18

Thanks, I'd heard of YM but never looked before.

I am also off to hobbycraft this weekend with a 25% off voucher grin

fuzzpig Fri 05-Oct-12 19:52:10

I was also looking at ones on ELC as we are probably ordering some stuff this weekend while it is still 20% off.

I have never really bought craft kits before so I am overwhelmed by the choice!

olibeansmummy Fri 05-Oct-12 21:20:12

Try discount stores like home bargains, they usually have loads smile

Marne Fri 05-Oct-12 21:28:41

both of my dd's like the sticky mosaics sets (not too messy and keeps them quite for a few hours). Hamma beeds are a favorite here, plastecene and playdough kits always go down well. oh and mr maker sock puppet kit.

scootle Fri 05-Oct-12 21:30:30

Anything by djeco is fab.

LeFreak Fri 05-Oct-12 21:33:19

I tend to avoid kits as they can be a bit prescriptive. I like to get loads of paper, glue and bits from Home Bargains or the Works and a craft book from book people - DD has one called Big book of thing to make and do. It keeps her busy for hours.

Other things she likes is play doh and cookie cutters, and wooden beads and laces to make necklaces with.

I'm also thinking of getting some hama beads for Christmas this year.

poachedeggs Fri 05-Oct-12 21:39:45

Play dough is the business.

Moon dough brings me out in a cold sweat.

The handprint kit with the weird soft air-dry clay stuff and the completely permanent acrylic paint is in the bin having fallen apart while hung midway through the paint-drying phase, bouncing across the room leaving a trail of acid paint splodges in its wake. Not recommended.

MissBetseyTrotwood Fri 05-Oct-12 21:49:28

We've enjoyed the Mr Maker ones - masks in particular.

Found the excavate your own dinosaur kits to be a total nightmare. Very, very messy and the skeleton thing inside just didn't fit together properly.

olibeansmummy Fri 05-Oct-12 21:50:23

Mind you, the other day ds (3) found a sheet of wrapping paper and had a whale of a time cutting it up and sticking it on sheets of paper. I found him a couple more different sheets and he exclaimed, 'wow! I can't believe it' hahaha so just keep the wrapping paper for them!

LeFreak Fri 05-Oct-12 22:06:27

Oh that's a good idea "olibean*

loubielou31 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:19:07

My DD(5) got one like this Sticky Mosaic kit for her birthday and she loves it. It has kept her entertained for ages. Our younger dd(2) would probably enjoy it too although the result would be more random.

loubielou31 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:23:25

Baker Ross does a huge number of crafty things.

oneofeach2010 Fri 05-Oct-12 23:03:07

fuzzpig Can I ask where you got your Hobbycraft 25% off voucher from please?
Thanks

fuzzpig Sat 06-Oct-12 08:04:33

Oneof, unfortunately it was in the local rag and I believe it is only for my local branch. However there was a printable 20% voucher being mentioned on here, I think it's on "the second bargainous christmas present thread" but not sure if it's still available. Worth a look perhaps.

RonettePulaski Sat 06-Oct-12 08:07:55

little creative days have some really lovely ones

TeaJunky Sat 06-Oct-12 13:51:43

Following this thread with interest as dd loves her creative bits and I'm always on the lookout for stuff.

Quick question: you know that sheet you get with the hamma beads, the one you iron over? We've lost it blush. Is there anything else I can safely use over the beads to make them stick?

sagelynodding Sat 06-Oct-12 14:19:55

Mr Maker craft chest looks good, lots of bits to make a mess with!

3duracellbunnies Sat 06-Oct-12 14:53:56

Teajunky I have been known to use non-stick baking parchment which seems to work fine, although my only basis is that it looks and feels the same and can survive in the oven.

oneofeach2010 it was me who put the voucher up, it was only instore last Thursday, however they do sometimes send round the vouchers, especially this time of year, so it is worth putting your name on their e-mail list for the next one.

I agree with the sticky mosaics. I have got some of that magic maise stuff for ds, but won't know how good it is until after Christmas. Mine also love junk modelling, which at 3+5 just means access to the cardboard recycling, some selotape and maybe some eyes, feathers etc to stick on. Very cheap but it will fill your house unless you train them to make, enjoy and recycle.

Inneedofbrandy Sat 06-Oct-12 15:44:39

tea you can use tracing paper

ninjanurse Sat 06-Oct-12 16:00:18

Chicken Socks books are very good, bought some for my DD and DSD last year and they both enjoyed them.

peasandbeans Sat 06-Oct-12 16:10:11

another vote for Djeco products here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now