Talk

Advanced search

Heston Blumenthal Xmas puddings

(24 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Fri 05-Oct-12 18:46:05

Are in Waitrose now. I got one this morning, 25% off as well.

Never had one before as they've always sold out so I thought I'd grab one while I see them this year. Pine dusted Mince pies were there as well but I wasn't tempted.

smellylittleorange Fri 05-Oct-12 23:42:03

They are nice Vair naice infact but you were wise about the Mince Pies as teh Pine Scented stuff reminds me of Vim somewhat. The Heston novelty is getting a bit diluted since he started selling Lasagnes.

My Heston pudding was pride of the table at Christmas last year.

usualsuspect3 Fri 05-Oct-12 23:45:03

What is the poncey sod doing this year?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Oct-12 09:56:02

The pudding's the same as previous ones I think - hidden candied orange.

Pine scented mince pies were available and also mince pies with some sort of orange scented dust/sprinkle thingy.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Oct-12 09:56:29

I remember last year people saying the pine mince pies were like Toilet Duck.

CiderwithBuda Sat 06-Oct-12 10:00:33

Yes the mince pies were not great. The pudding was ok. Not enough to make me want to have again this year though. In fact I think I still have a mini one laft from last year!

CiderwithBuda Sat 06-Oct-12 10:01:33

Laft? Left obv.

Can't even blame autocorrect for that.

thornrose Sat 06-Oct-12 10:05:36

Do they have the Delia Smith "make your own" Christmas cake this year?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Oct-12 13:38:53

No Delia Xmas cakes that I noticed.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 06-Oct-12 13:42:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Oct-12 13:50:38

The orange ones might be OK, don't think they sold them last year. You need to sample one now for MN'ers everywhere and tell us what they're like!

I was in Waitrose again this morning and bought a Heston lasagne. Was going to get a macaroni cheese ready meal as I heard they're really nice but they're cauliflower truffle macaroni cheese - I can't stand cauliflower.

ChippyMinton Sat 06-Oct-12 18:06:56

I hope the puds are good - I just bought one, 25% off until Tuesday. Usually make one but can't be bothered this year.

I am making crackers though, bought the <<<snap! bang!>>>> bits in hobbycraft - a bargainacious 79p!

ggirl Sat 06-Oct-12 18:13:40

I bouhgt one too , also bought the little individual one to try before xmas so will let you know how it tastes.

seabuckthorn Sat 06-Oct-12 18:14:10

Did anyone see Delia's Christmas cake mix in Waitrose by any chance?

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Sat 06-Oct-12 18:16:14

I have done Delia and Mary Berry Xmas cakes in the past but this year I am going to make my own again. Have a recipe for moist, chocolate christmas cake.

TeaOneSugar Sat 06-Oct-12 18:18:34

They're on offer on Ocado as well, £10.49 and £2.61.

ChippyMinton Sat 06-Oct-12 18:26:06

Not seen the cake mixes yet, but last year Tesco were selling off them off for about 2 quid a few days before xmas, so I made a few then. Didn't give much time for feeding with booze but they were fine.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 06-Oct-12 19:36:06

VivaLeBeaver Sat 06-Oct-12 19:59:32

Oh dear. Well done for trying them.

I can report that his lasagne ain't that nice. Better than the bog standard tesco one but to as nice as tesco finest.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 06-Oct-12 20:53:08

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Sun 07-Oct-12 11:01:44

well thanks for trying the mince pies - that has saved me from buying and trying. My friend said that the Waitrose bakery mince pies were delicious, and much cheaper than Heston.

Sometimes messing around with a classic recipe is just not on. smile

chippy I bought loads of the Mary Berry xmas cupcakes as DD loves baking and it saves me from having the kitchen in continual uproar and flour for about £2 last year. If you make them just beware that the brandy icing is VERY strong. I wouldnt recommend it really, my kids didnt like it and I can honestly say I felt a bit tipsy after scoffing some icing. blush

ConstantlyCooking Sun 07-Oct-12 11:11:36

I knew I shouid have checked with mumsnet! In bought the Heston pudding and some toiletduck mince pies on Friday. Oh well - maybe I can gift the pies wink

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Sun 07-Oct-12 13:53:09

The orange pudding is vile.
I ought one just for me last year and managed a mouthful.

mummytime Sun 07-Oct-12 14:00:19

There must be some Christmas fairs coming up, wher you cn generously donate toilet duck/shake n vac Mince pies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now