Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present ideas for my 8 month old DS

(18 Posts)
beckymcfc Fri 05-Oct-12 13:18:42

So my DS will be 10 months old by Christmas and i'm not too sure what to get him for Christmas. I have a feeling that he will get truley spoilt by friends and family with toys etc so I would like to get him something more useful and maybe for later on in the year. My ideas so far are an armchair (theres a blue and white star one in dunelm), a toddler table and chair set or a 2 in 1 baby - big kid swing set for the garden.

What do you all think, any ideas? Also, should I bother with a stocking?

Thanksin advance xx

Twitterqueen Fri 05-Oct-12 13:20:51

10 months? He would love noisy wrapping paper, two wooden spoons for banging and a cardboard box!
Save your money for later smile

beckymcfc Fri 05-Oct-12 13:22:27

Haha thats what I thought, which is why I wanted to get him something for when hes a little older like the swing set - saves us buying it in 6 months time.. He does love playing with our wooden spoons now though :-)

vamosbebe Fri 05-Oct-12 13:23:26

I second Twitterqueen. We shall be getting our almost 1-year-old a big plastic box full of (cheap) tupperware, he loves the stuff!

Pancakeflipper Fri 05-Oct-12 13:23:56

I would get them something that you want them to have - the table set etc and outdoor things for the Summer sounds fine.

I think I would do a stocking. I never had one as a kid so I love them! You can stick in practical stuff perhaps some biscuits they like, nappy sacks, baby wipes, tissues, teething gels, sponges, flannels, little car toys etc..

bbface Fri 05-Oct-12 13:51:52

Why would you want to get a swing set six months before you will need it? Why not just wait for in six months time??

My boy was just over a year last Christmas, and dh and I got him... Nothing! He got loads of presents from family, but I kept a few aside and staggered them over the following weeks.

At these ages, when I see a toy I think my ds would like (2.2) and enjoy playing with, I just get it for him and give it to him irrespective of whether it is Christmas, birthday, Easter, whatever. My approach will probably change from next year on, but again... For this year, ds will get nothing from dh and I because more than enough from family and I look in the playroom and I see so many blimmin toys, it makes me feel queasy to think of yet more, more, more,

At ten months, really don't bother. Save your money for when they are toddlers, and then buying toys really is a fun thing to do because you will get excited knowing how much they will genuinely enjoy playing with it, rather than at ten months when you could have given them a roll of sellotape and they would have been happy.

beckymcfc Fri 05-Oct-12 15:31:14

If I were to get him a swing set then he could use it straight away as they are from 6months old so I don't think it would really be a wasted present :s I also agree that he will get spoilt by other friends and family as I said above but I think its rather mean not to get him anything! As I said i'm looking to get him a useful present that I can save for a few months and give him as and when is the right time.

FireOverBabylon Fri 05-Oct-12 15:41:48

DS has a bean bag chair which has lasted him well, despite being dragged up and down stairs, although it wasn't £50 when we bought it. shock Go for Dunelm!

Get him a box and fill it with helium balloons then let him open it. Attach feathers and bells and sparkly baubles to the the strings

These bubbles

Books

A scuttlebug?

For DS's first Christmas we asked grandparents to contribute to a wooden highchair to reduce the amount of plastic tat purchased by them. It sort of worked but DS did end up with a teddy that was larger than him.

FireOverBabylon Fri 05-Oct-12 15:43:56

If his 1st birthday is only in February, why not save the swing until then, as it'll be nearer the summer and better weather to use it.

It might be worth you getting more smaller bits for christmas and getting a bigger present for him at his birthday when he's that little bit older.

beckymcfc Fri 05-Oct-12 15:54:24

Good ideas, thank you fireoverbabylon

lola88 Fri 05-Oct-12 17:37:18

I'm getting DS a trampoline some thing like this

http://www.elc.co.uk/Junior-Trampoline---Blue/118554,default,pd.html

He will be 10 months too and loves jumping he prob won't use it for a while but he won't know any better. I'm not getting anything else for him except maybe some stocking fillers since i've already been told he'll be spoiled rotten.

bbface Sat 06-Oct-12 17:05:21

Rather mean? Oh heavens, you should see our playroom!

You have so many years of buying toys for when your child will really appreciate it and love it. Pls try to avoid beingncaught up in the silly notion that you need to buy buy buy in order to show your love. The fact you think it would be ''mean' not to get a ten month old anything is a rather odd perspective I think.

abigboydidit Sat 06-Oct-12 22:35:52

I have to confess we didn't buy our DS any gifts for his first Christmas (he was 7 months old) as we knew he would get spoiled rotten by our friends and family!

minimouse88 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:13:27

We bought our dd at 1 a Noah's arc with all the little plastic animals. She loved it then and still loves it now that she is 2 playing with it all the time. We also bought a multi coloured nylon tunnel from amazon - another big hit and can be put up on a rainy day indoors and outside in the summer, great for crawling and chasing through. I really couldn't recommend either of these highly enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00361F3XE

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3483947.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:3483947%7Ccat:toys+and+games+%2F+toys+%2F+pre-school+toys+%2F+pre-school+toys+%2F

smile

Doodlekitty Mon 08-Oct-12 18:23:24

We will have a 3 month old at Christmas and I'm loath to spend much when he will be oblivious. So, my plan is to buy him a good quality personalised Christmas stocking which he can use every year and fill it with small bits and pieces which will be useful for the next 6 months (rattles etc). I also want to get a nice Christmas book he will grow in to.

Leaving it up to GPs to spoil him!

IWillOnlyEatBeans Mon 08-Oct-12 18:50:04

DS was 10 months old at christmas 2010. It was his first christmas so of course we wanted to buy him some presents! grin

From what I can remember, big hits were:

A wooden click-clack track from ELC
Aquadoodle
A couple of the Usbourne 'That's not My...' books
Toy cars
A Vtech Discovery tree

Enjoy christmas shopping and enjoy your DS's first Christmas! smile

Baaartimaeus Wed 10-Oct-12 11:12:41

I too thought DS would be more interested in paper and boxes than presents.

He's just had his first birthday and I was totally wrong!

He adored opening his presents (I'd open the end and he'd pull out the present then check to see if there was another one in there grin)

He loves his birthday cards. They're still up 2 weeks later and every day he points and them and wants to see them and inspect them (he checks the front, back and inside to see what pictures there are - totally adorable).

So, for his first birthday, the big hits were :

Books.
He particularly loves the "whose" big flap series, so "whose nose", "whose feet", "whose bottom" etc.
He also loves Where's spot and the Usbourne touchy feely series (e.g. That's not my tractor/monkey/monster etc.)
He also got a couple of musical books which he is obsessed with.

For books we read to him he loves the Gruffalo, Not now Bernard (I had to read that 7 times in a row this weekend), The very hungry caterpillar, Mr Gumpy's outing, Room on a broom, Peace at last...

Wooden puzzles - where there are 3 or 4 large shapes with knobs on that you fit into their space (IYSWIM, hard to describe).

Shape sorter.

Is he walking yet? Cos a walker is always a good buy. We got a lovely (non musical!) one that he still plays with despite walking unaided no problem.

Other big hits when he was 10 months ish was a musical activity table (and fortunately he hasn't yet worked out how to turn it on!)

A ball is always good too. Cheap and cheerful.

If I only had to buy one present for DS it would most definitely be a book as he adores them and it gets a bit boring always reading the same ones.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Wed 10-Oct-12 12:33:15

Is there anything he needs? Like the next size up carseat? (Not for right now but in a few months time). Clothes? Lovely big toybox for all the things he'll get from family and friends?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now