Talk

Advanced search

"family present" ideas please - where children are young adults...

(13 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Fri 05-Oct-12 09:46:46

need to get Christmas sorted early this year, as I have no spare time at all in November.

Used to buy for friends' 2 children at Christmas. They are now young adults (20s) but still come home for Christmas. Friend still buys for our DCs who are younger, so still like to give them something. The Mum works for M&S so biscuits/chocolates/plants etc are a bit of a non-present.

Have given them in the past a family game; a "night in" hamper (DVD etc); and last year a bottle of something each (which is also a bit daft as Mum can get it).

Activity vouchers as one has a physical disability; the DCs won't be home long enough for cinema vouchers. So am at a loss really. Any thoughts?

lilolilmanchester Fri 05-Oct-12 09:47:31

* activity vouchers are OUT" that should have said

CaseyShraeger Fri 05-Oct-12 10:06:01

I'd probably cycle back round your 'already-given' list and buy another family game (but that's probably because I like playing games when my siblings and I visit my mother for Christmas).

fossil97 Fri 05-Oct-12 10:08:20

Big jar of oldfashioned pick & mix sweeties - do you have a Mr Sims near you?

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Fri 05-Oct-12 10:09:32

Rapidough... You're never too old to play with plasticine!

lilolilmanchester Fri 05-Oct-12 10:10:14

was thinking that too Casey, but as the "children" are getting older, they are spending less time at home, even at Christmas. Will keep that one up my sleeve as fall-back I think (any suggestions please, as you like games?)

Would welcome other ideas too as really would prefer something different to before if possible

lilolilmanchester Fri 05-Oct-12 10:13:14

sorry, just seen the other suggestions. Rapiddough is out for one of them - but has given me an idea for a present from someone else - thanks - and sweetie idea also good - for others too. Not sure if we've got a Mr Sims, will look, but Costco often has stuff like that.
Thank you for the ideas - keep them coming - I can use all these ideas so far for someone I need to buy for! And it will help other MNers looking for ideas too

hurricanewyn Fri 05-Oct-12 10:20:12

When I go home we love a game of Cranium - although it can get quite heated at times. I'm 31, Dbro is 29 & Dsis is 25 if this any indicator.

FireOverBabylon Fri 05-Oct-12 10:21:06

Could you get away with something naff - same hat & scarf or Christmas jumper for all family members?

big jigsaw puzzle so they can all have a go over Christmas?

Restaurant voucher so they can all go out for a meal together before the children go back home?

CaseyShraeger Fri 05-Oct-12 10:23:21

I love Absolute Balderdash, and Taboo is good, and there's another one the name of which has completely vanished from my mind. No doubt it will pop in again later when I'm thinking of something completely different...

brass Fri 05-Oct-12 10:33:42

music vouchers
books

lilolilmanchester Fri 05-Oct-12 11:41:52

one thing I didn't put on my OP - just in case it helps anyone else - last year I got cookery books: cooking for two for the parents and 30 min meals/cooking on a budget for each of the children.

Like the idea of a restaurant voucher - even if they don't have time to go while the children are home for Christmas, they might have another opportunity before voucher expires as the children don't live too far away. I thought about a jigsaw but don't think it would appeal to them all, although my DS and DH always join in if there's a jigsaw on the go - not that they'd ever admit to enjoying it!

lilolilmanchester Fri 05-Oct-12 11:42:22

thank you everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now