Talk

Advanced search

10 pound limit for DH

(18 Posts)
F1rstT1meMummy Wed 03-Oct-12 11:24:42

As the title says really.... We are totally slint this year so have agreed a ten pound limit for x mas present on each other!

We did this a few years back and DH got me loads... Cheapie MP3 player etc from eBay! And I was v boring and got a DVD!

So can you please help me come up with something's for a tenner!!

MiggleMoo Wed 03-Oct-12 11:30:42

Maybe make something with the ingredients or kit which will cost less than £10. I am making all our christmas presents this yesr (26 in total) and it is costing me a total of about £50. For men some of the things I am doing include an Ipad holder, a scarf, shaving cream and moisuriser, hamper of beer/ jams/ biscuits etc.

mummakaz Wed 03-Oct-12 11:35:13

if you have dc's you could get there picture printed on a mug for him for about £5 in Asda they do other personalised items too

SummerSolstice Wed 03-Oct-12 11:40:27

The mug idea is a good one, I've ordered them before from Photobox and they look great.

Alternatively, buy a cheapie photo frame, get lots of photos (you can order them for about 6p each from SnapFish or Photobox, sometimes postage is free too) and make a big collage. I've done lots and they are usually very appreciated or so I'm told.

F1rstT1meMummy Wed 03-Oct-12 12:05:44

Wow thank you! I love those ideas!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 12:12:14

Just marking my place smile.

steppemum Wed 03-Oct-12 12:25:29

voucher book (homemade) vouchers for a lie-in, breakfast in bed, early night in wink favourite dinner.

ingredients for a fave evening - pizza (picture of) beer, favourite film?

poundshop - I know it is mostly tat, but I am surprised at the little bits you can pick up, keyring torch, screwdriver, seeds and plant pots, and so on. Worth a look.

It is really nice to unwrap several bits, even if it is small.

Watching thread as I need cheap pressies too

ethelb Wed 03-Oct-12 15:32:04

have you seen the other thread?

Btw here's my answer for that:

Some things I'm making for DP:

pajama bottoms (2m of £5 cotton)
Hot water bottle cover (£2.79 bottle plus left over wool but could use cheepy wool)
Furoshiki (I have the fabric but could use cheapy fabric)
Scarf (left over wool as above)

Some things I may buy:
Second hand book he likes, ie scour for penguin classics of his faves (50p-£4 ish)
Second hand/antique decanter - (about £10)

loubielou31 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:27:20

My brother collected hundreds of little sample sachets of his girlfriends favourite perfume which were free because he couldn't afford the forty of fifty quid for a whole bottle. Every time he went into a department store he picked up a few more.

loubielou31 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:28:43

One year I made a twelve days of christmas voucher thing with ideas that could be used for the rest of the year thereby spreading the cost.

F1rstT1meMummy Sat 13-Oct-12 20:44:06

Thank you for your help!

OhTheConfusion Sat 13-Oct-12 22:08:39

DH and I always do a £5 challenge every year. Last year I scoured the charity shops for old maps and a picture frame... I then got one sheet of good quality card, drew hearts around the special places in out lives, cut them out and turned them into a larger heart within the frame. It now sit's on our bedside table.

dreamofwhitehorses Sun 14-Oct-12 21:46:31

Ohtheconfusion I love your map idea! Any chance you could post a pic to help along the less creative!

OhTheConfusion Sun 14-Oct-12 22:05:56

Dream of, if I posted mine I would be aswell giving you my name and address ;-)

I got my inspiration from here and included the following; hospital we were both born, hospital our kids were born, first home, childhood towns, where we were married, honeymoon etc.

I love it!

dreamofwhitehorses Sun 14-Oct-12 22:45:32

We've got a campervan, so I 'm thinking of doing our favourite places we visit. Thanks for the link, I'm impatiently waiting for the page to load as our internet is very slow tonight.

inabeautifulplace Sun 14-Oct-12 22:57:44

I am definitely stealing that map idea! Cheers for the link...

I also think the voucher idea has promise, maybe if he has a time consuming hobby you could make up some passes?

Best thing I have done so far was research into a particular event then do it as a magical mystery tour. Surprise is priceless, event only cost £3 to get in!

MadBusLadyHauntsTheMetro Sun 14-Oct-12 23:00:43

Ooh, another cheapie thread to foist my cheap ideas on!

Nice fresh pair of brightly coloured woolly gloves for winter (£5-£8 from Primark, BHS, Matalan etc), classic paperback for £1, tangerine and chocolate coin.

(For cooks) Single nice bowl/dish/tin/other good kitchenware item from a charity shop, with some everyday storecupboard ingredients in, eg a bulb of garlic, some bay leaves from garden if you have them, a spice.

(For gardeners) As above, except a terracotta pot or ceramic plantholder with seeds in. And some scrubby hand soap for after gardening.

Also, it would take up your whole budget so maybe not right for this, but I keep buying these for people and they are always well received. You can't stick it upside down in a bag, exactly, but mum uses it while gardening and dad uses it in the garage. Anywhere where it's cold and bits might fall in the tea.

OhTheConfusion Mon 15-Oct-12 01:08:21

Hope the link loaded eventually :-)

I honestly enjoy the £10 challenge more than most of the shopping. I found DH a lovely leather bound journal in Tk max this afternoon for £8 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now