Talk

Advanced search

Non-fruit Christmas cake

(9 Posts)
Rumours Mon 01-Oct-12 11:18:54

I always make a 'normal' Christmas cake, round about now, but lately dried fruit has been disagreeing with me, so I'm looking for alternatives. So what special cake could I make for Christmas that doesn't have currants, sultanas or raisins. Everything else is fine and we love cherries.

LeFreak Mon 01-Oct-12 11:23:42

A chocolate log?

girlywhirly Mon 01-Oct-12 13:35:44

Make a cherry cake and ice/decorate it, it won't keep long like a rich fruit cake but will look just as festive. Use the roll out fondant type icing.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 01-Oct-12 13:42:25

Ooooh, cherry and almond smile. Soak the cherries in Amaretto and do a Maderia Cake sponge so it's denser than a sponge cake.

And of course a Chocolate cake wink

Or what about making a Stollen but without the dried fruit?
Few things as good for getting rid of pre-Christmas angst than kneading a nice sweet bread dough (not a sweetbread ,that's entirely different) blush

Gingerbread cake with orange icing

I always find this quite christmassy smile

Rumours Mon 01-Oct-12 15:31:48

Mmmmm I will do a chocolate log and a cherry cake I think, and the gingerbread one looks good too. Good job I've got time to think about it smile.
Can't do any with nuts in, ds2 is allergic.
Thanks for all your replies.

VikingVagine Mon 01-Oct-12 15:33:46

You could watch GBBO on Tuesday and see if you fancy making a gingerbread house.

Rumours Mon 01-Oct-12 15:44:03

I tried making one of those last year, it didn't work out very well, I had to prop it up with lots of condiments. At least I tried. I will watch the GBBO tomorrow though to see where I went wrong.

girlywhirly Mon 01-Oct-12 16:35:58

You will need to make the cherry cake mixture rather stiff to prevent the cherries sinking to the bottom, it usually has ground almonds in to help prevent this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now