Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else working on Christmas Eve?

(20 Posts)
maryquant Sun 30-Sep-12 12:52:13

Feeling a bit sorry for myself.
Not back in work until the 4th of Jan though.
DH is off so hopefully when I get home all the prep will be done!!!

crazynanna Sun 30-Sep-12 12:54:09

Me.

Working 'till 1pm Christmas Eve...back 2nd Jan sad

knackeredmother Sun 30-Sep-12 12:54:35

Won't most people be working? It's a Monday isn't it? A normal working day for me and most others I assume.

TimothyTumblespring Sun 30-Sep-12 12:56:22

I will be working Christmas Eve until about 6pm I expect. Then I will have the 25th and 26th as my days off and be back hard at it from the 27th.
Spare a thought for those of us who work in retail and catering over Christmas sad

ProudNeathGirl Sun 30-Sep-12 13:12:03

I think everyone has to work on 24th Dec, unless you specifically book a day off out of holiday allowance. It's a normal working day.

olivo Sun 30-Sep-12 13:15:56

I worked over Christmas for years- in a restaurant/ bar/pub. Loved it, better than enforced family jollity grin

Earned a fortune in tips and drinks and we got to play all the cheesy Christmas music, decorate the place etc.

I miss those dayssad

BlueSuedeStiletto Sun 30-Sep-12 13:20:39

Working till 2300 on Christmas eve then overnight Christmas day and boxing day. Great fun! confused

crazynanna Sun 30-Sep-12 21:32:45

Made a mistake there.

Meant to say working until 1pm Christmas Eve...back 27th Dec.

Gumby Sun 30-Sep-12 21:34:49

Working to 4pm on
Xmas eve

Back 27th dec

ENormaSnob Sun 30-Sep-12 21:38:24

I will probably be working Christmas day sad

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 30-Sep-12 21:43:02

I've offered to work on Christmas Eve so that an extra colleague who lives miles away can get longer off to spend with their family.

I've worked every Christmas Eve that I can remember so am more than happy to work it again

crazynanna Sun 30-Sep-12 21:47:28

How lovely that is of you IWish smile

ChestyNut Mon 01-Oct-12 09:48:42

I'm waiting with bated breath for my Christmas shifts but am 99% sure I'll be working Christmas day sad
Hopefully will get boxing day off

<<crosses fingers>>

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 01-Oct-12 09:51:37

I expect to be working either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, it's part of the job.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Mon 01-Oct-12 09:56:01

Its very likely that I will be at work til 11pm on Christmas ever however this will.mean I get Christmas Day and Boxing Day off which Id prefer as DD is too you to know Christmas Eve and DH goes away for a fortnight the day after Boxing Day. Very likely ill be in late / early on NYE / NYD too.

georgie22 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:07:34

Not sure you'll get much sympathy OP - Christmas Eve is a normal working day. You're off till the 4th Jan!! Spare a thought for all those individuals where Christmas and New Year working is just an accepted part of the job. I did it for years!

RillaBlythe Mon 01-Oct-12 10:13:00

We are awaiting the Christmas rota still. Last year DP was off Christmas Eve & Day but worked Boxing Day. I expect he will be working Eve this year but really hoping he has Cmas Day off as DD really gets Christmas this year.

But almost everyone will be working it, as it's just an ordinary Monday.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 01-Oct-12 10:22:51

I always work Christmas Eve. We have set shifts, only close for Christmas day, for some reason Christmas Eve always falls on my shifts.

Last year every single 'special' shift fell on my working days so my boss let pick which one to have off. We never really do much on Christmas Eve, so I chose Boxing day as we were having a party the day after and I wanted to be able to get ready for it.

This year I will be working Christmas Eve and boxing day but I have NYE and New Year's day off. My sister is working those because Christmas Eve fell on her shifts but she doesn't want to do it as they have Christmas Eve traditions. I've always worked or DH has (we try and work jobs where when one of us is home, the other is working to cut down on childcare costs) so we've never had the chance to start Christmas Eve traditions.

DH worked Christmas Day last year. That was odd. It's the first time since having children any of us have had to that. The kids were over the moon when they were thrown out into the park while I prepared Christmas tea for the masses. They normally have to do family time but I didn't have time. Hosting a Christmas buffet for 20 people for the first time ever is not a sensible thing to plan when you are left alone on Christmas day for the first time ever.

HiHowAreYou Mon 01-Oct-12 10:27:36

DH always works at least a half day on Xmas Day. And Xmas Eve, and all the other days!

Self employed. Nobody else to do it!

BobbiFleckman Mon 01-Oct-12 10:31:47

Our office is almost certain to announce that the cost of opening up the buildngs for one day on MOnday is not worth the expense vs productivity of people coming in for a few hours to talk about how p*ssed they got at the weekend. THey'll do it as late as they possibly can so that people like me who have family will have already booked it off as holdiay - a perk for the childless whov'e covered for the rest of us a few times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now