Talk

Advanced search

Kindle for an 8 year old

(14 Posts)
sunnyshine Sun 30-Sep-12 08:20:18

Thinking of getting my dd a kindle. Does anyone have children of this age that has one. What are the free books for this age like?

Marne Sun 30-Sep-12 08:22:59

I was thinking of getting dd1 (8) one too but not sure if she would like it as she likes to hold a book and look at the cover, some of the books that dd likes are just as expensive on the kindle as they are in book form sad.

sunnyshine Sun 30-Sep-12 08:33:42

I agree about the cost of some books, we normally get 2nd hand books as gets through so many and don't want to start forking out £5.98 for a book she will read in a night!

VikingVagine Sun 30-Sep-12 08:52:38

I think it would be a great present for a child who likes reading <glares at 10yo DS> , there are lots of free books (plenty of must-read classics). I think the cheapest one is best (touch screen probably too fragile for a child) and you'd need to invest in a sturdy cover to protect it!

WiseKneeHair Sun 30-Sep-12 08:55:09

Just check that the type of books she likes are available in kindle form.
I've looked at this for my DS2 and only about 50% seem to be on kindle.

Teamumizumi Sun 30-Sep-12 11:12:15

I was going to get one for my 14 year old but i bought one for me and looked at the free books. The directory is mixed with adult books, as in " adult" books so that's a no-no. Kindle books are all black and white and you can still get some great picture books for 8 year olds. Stick to paper and spend the £100 in amazon.

Divawithattitude Sun 30-Sep-12 11:16:42

NOOOOOOO, I really worry about books disappearing if we all read from our lap tops and phones and kindles.

Stick to real boks that she can drop in the bath, leave on a bus, lend her friends, look at the pictures in

insanityscratching Sun 30-Sep-12 11:38:14

Dd (9) is an avid reader but loves books too much to think of getting her a kindle. I have one and love mine because of the instant gratification of a new book without leaving the armchair but I do miss the actual look, feel and smell of a new book. Dd also loves her bookshelves, rearranging them, searching out old favourites and she takes books with her everywhere, not a trauma when she forgets a paperback but it would be if it was a kindle she'd lost. I buy her lots of second hand books too and suspect the kindle versions might be more expensive tbh.

OvO Sun 30-Sep-12 12:25:46

My DS1 will be 8 by Christmas and I just bought him a kindle for chrismas yesterday. Just got the basic model - this one now has parental controls.

He'll still get actual books so won't miss out on any of that. It'll encourage him to read just for pleasure. I'm a total bookworm so happy to buy anything to encourage that.

sonnybeaudelaire Sun 30-Sep-12 12:55:54

Is there a way to stop children accidentally accessing the 'adult' content that is on the amazon site (eg top 100 free list)? I suppose you can turn off wireless and supervise when they want new books, but it's not difficult to figure out how to put it back on.

I haven't looked in to this yet in any detail so sorry if that's a stupid question and easy to manage!

2kidsintow Sun 30-Sep-12 22:35:37

My DD used birthday money to buy herself one last year (because her sister and I have one).

I have never registered the kindle to any amazon account, and haven't set up the wifi either. THat way my dd can't access anything.

On my older dd's kindle, I registered it, downloaded anything that I thought she'd like, then deregistered it and told it to forget the wifi.

My 8 year old's device is entirely full of books from the guttenburg site, not amazon.

diavlo Sun 30-Sep-12 22:38:10

I'm getting one for my dd7, she loves my kindle so hopefully money well spent.

sonnybeaudelaire Mon 01-Oct-12 13:11:50

Thanks for clarifying that, 2kids, very helpful

Am sick of carting loads of books when we go on holiday, so am tempted!

2kidsintow Mon 01-Oct-12 23:17:27

No problem. I love that my kids love reading so much, so I didn't mind them buying their own kindles. And certainly beats carting around lots of books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now