Talk

Advanced search

What to get for dd1 (almost 9), not girly.

(21 Posts)
Marne Thu 27-Sep-12 12:03:55

OK, i know its early but i have started my christmas shopping. Dd2 (6) is easy to buy for, loves moshi monsters and wants Mr Men Books. Dd1 is tricky, she's almost 9 and not girly at all, she loves pokemon so will be getting the new DS game but i havn't got a clue what else to get her.

She loves reading so i thought 'Kindle' but i think she loves books too much (loves holding them and loves the covers) so i think she would lose intrest in a kindle.

She loves the computer, would love her own laptop but to get one good enough for her to access the websites she likes would cost to many ££££'s.

She has also asked for a Wii but we had one before and it was harly played with (so we sold it).

She doesn't really play with toys but likes to collect things.

Any ideas?

jkklpu Thu 27-Sep-12 12:05:03

how about a chemistry set/science experiments kit?

Marne Thu 27-Sep-12 12:11:47

Has to be something that is safe around dd2, she has ASD and gets into anything so not sure if a science kit would be a great idea sad. She wanted Harry Potter lego but again dd2 ends up breaking it up (she had lego last year and dd2 has destroyed it).

jeee Thu 27-Sep-12 12:16:04

DD2 (very non-girly) had her 9th birthday this week. We got her a stunt scooter, which she is absolutely thrilled with.

jkklpu Thu 27-Sep-12 12:29:39

Maybe what she'd really like, given the attentions od dd2, is something she could d on her own with you at times when dd2 was otherwise occupied. So not necessarily science, but anything one-to-one, eg the game Masterming (coloured pegs not Magnus Magnusson), or something like that.

jkklpu Thu 27-Sep-12 12:29:49

*Mastermind

lisad123 Thu 27-Sep-12 12:34:09

Dd2 is 9 and has Asd too. Current obsession is sylvanian familes, books and PC/iPad. She also loves her art set.

Marne Thu 27-Sep-12 12:41:37

Scooter is a no no (have tried them but Dd1 has hypermobility and possable dyspraxia so cant ride one).

Something she could do with me or on her own would be good but has to be something that can be put away out of dd2's reach.

I thought about getting her a 3DS as she has a old DS lite but i'm not sure if she's really bothered (seems happy with her old DS), we have a i-pad (which is really dd2's as it was funded for her), dd1 likes to type which is why a paptop would be great, maybe i could look for a 2nd hand one but will probably still be too much. We soend around £100 each including stockings, can spend this easily on dd2 (Mr Men book collection, Moshi HQ and paper jamz). Dd2 is so much easier as she still likes toys and tat.

heymammy Thu 27-Sep-12 12:46:31

Dd1 is just 9 and is hankering after an iPod touch...tbh I am considering it because it is small and wont take up space! they have a room full of toys and don't really need anymore!

TheWave Thu 27-Sep-12 12:51:08

Depends on personality but may get into puzzle books that she can do with you and then on her own; we like the "sit and solve" series, or children's sudoku.

Also a subscription to First News weekly newspaper delivered to herself.

or Story Box/Discovery Box mags etc, which are delivered only every two months tho.

haggisaggis Thu 27-Sep-12 12:59:40

Micro scooters are good - 3 wheeled so they don't topple. dd got the joystick one for her 10th birthday and whizzes all over on it. A video camera?

Marne Thu 27-Sep-12 13:07:16

A video camera might be good, she likes to make you-tube videos smile.

She would love tickets to the Harry Potter Studios in London but then she wouldn't have much to open.

electricgoldslide Thu 27-Sep-12 13:25:37

My non girly 9 yo has asked for converse (she initially wanted Dr Martens!) and to go to the X factor tour.

skrumle Thu 27-Sep-12 17:01:03

i would get an ipod touch rather than a video camera TBH - DD got video camera christmas she was 10 which was hardly used, ipod touch year she was 11 which hardly left her hand for the first few weeks.

ipod touch is much easier to download funny apps, etc (e.g. she has one where you film someone for 20seconds and then it makes an extended video out of it). not sure of the current price of ipod though - was 140 last year...

Brickle Thu 27-Sep-12 22:29:22

A head torch?

Marne Fri 28-Sep-12 09:49:14

She has also asked for 'a puppy that fits in a tea cup' (apparently not a toy one) smile

I'm really stuck, i dont think she will want a i-pod, she's not really interested as she prefers a computer to type on (rather than play games) and is not really into music. She's not into clothes (likes to wear boys clothes or jogging bottoms, hates clothes shopping).

PiedWagtail Fri 28-Sep-12 10:21:08

Tickets to a theatre show or sporting event if she's into sports? Athletics, swimming meet, football match, eventing?
Sports clothes so she can play her fav sport?
Sports equipment - tennis racket etc?
Doing things - a trip with you to swimming pool.cinema etc?

rhondajean Fri 28-Sep-12 17:11:39

Would she like a cupboard with a lock or something like that, a locker, where she could keep things safe from her little sister?

lljkk Fri 28-Sep-12 17:17:16

Nice Hama bead set.

Himalaya Fri 28-Sep-12 17:21:22

A really good board game? something like Carcasonne or Settlers of Catan. Of course you'd have to play it with her too grin

DS (9) is going through a nerdy board game phase, which is quite enjoyable.

Marne Fri 28-Sep-12 17:41:27

She would probably like Monopoly (a shame they dont do a Harry potter one), a cupboard with a lock is a great idea smile we did fit a lock on her bedroom door but it has been broken by dd2. She's not into sport (hates it) because she has bad legs and struggles with sport. She likes Hama beads but already has loads but would probably like more.

The only thing she's really into is Harry potter and pokemon, she loves to read and is a bit of a nerd smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now