Talk

Advanced search

the best christmas cake recipe?

(23 Posts)

Never made one before. Want to make two this year. One for us and one for the ILs.

I could google, but I will end up with a million recipes from Nigella, Delia, Jamie etc etc and no way to differentiate.

So what are the best ones? Any tips or advice?

TIA

TeaTowelQueen Wed 26-Sep-12 14:58:22

Delia every time smile

LillianGish Wed 26-Sep-12 15:04:57

Another vote for Delia.

sybilvimes Wed 26-Sep-12 20:04:33

Definitely Delia. It's fantastic and practically foolproof.

sybilvimes Wed 26-Sep-12 20:06:30

In the sense that even I can make it, not that you're a fool, obviously blush

Taffeta Wed 26-Sep-12 20:08:01

Delia. Without a shadow of doubt. Tried others, none as good, or as trad.

SecondHandNews Wed 26-Sep-12 20:13:11

Delia forever.

Delia it is then grin thanks

Oh, meant to ask, will cheap brandy do? And how often do you feed it, with how much brandy each time?

maclover Wed 26-Sep-12 20:19:28

Another one for Delia! Her mincemeat recipe is really good too.

SecondHandNews Wed 26-Sep-12 20:23:36

grin I actually find Delia a bit stingy with the brandy (I put more in than she suggests for the preliminary overnight soaking, and I do it for longer), or maybe I just like booze! I use 2/3 capfuls every time I feed it - which is once a weekish (possibly more frequently). And personally, I don't think it needs to be expensive brandy - just standard - obviously one which is rough as rats may mean the cake doesn't taste quite as nice!

Thanks Second!

Ooooh mincemeat! I forgot I wanted to make my own mince pies this year.

culturemulcher Wed 26-Sep-12 20:35:05

After years in the wilderness (Nigella, etc), last Christmas I went back to Delia - and everyone's right... it's the best one out there.

Close your eyes Delia-ites. What I'm about to say is heresy. I actually doctored her recipe a bit. I think she uses too many currents, so I replace about half of them with juicier raisins and sultanas and more candied peel, keeping the proportion of fruit to other ingredients the same. Result - even more delicious.

I think I might do that too culture. I find currants very hard.

Taffeta Wed 26-Sep-12 20:41:35

yy to greater ratio of sultanas and more brandy grin

I tried Amaretto instead of brandy one year, as I love Amaretto, but it was Not Right.

kiwigirl42 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:56:21

I can't stand Delia so it really fucks me off that all her bloody recipes work. including the Xmas cake. I leave out all the currant/ raisins and use golden sultanas - can't stand hard lumps in cake.

grin Kiwi

She reminds me of my Home Ec teacher in school!

sooperdooper Wed 26-Sep-12 21:02:49

I've always done the Delia one and it's always come out great, and it has a great line in it about how if it starts to curdle don't panic cos a cake with this much good stuff in it can't fail to taste great - and she's right!

SecondHandNews Sun 30-Sep-12 07:35:55

Culture - I agree on the currants - I also play around and reduce currant ratio - think they are a bit overrated! Same with more candied peel.

WipsGlitter Sun 30-Sep-12 08:24:19

I do a mix of Darina and Rachel Allen, but basically make it up as I don't like nuts or candied peel!

When do people do theirs?

SecondHandNews Mon 01-Oct-12 10:27:56

Now! grin

itsstillgood Mon 01-Oct-12 11:53:10

Delia.
I leave out the nuts and replace some of the currants with cherries and use cherry brandy (a lot more than what she suggests - can get drunk on my cake!). Usually soak fruit for 48hrs so it has a proper chance to absorb the alcohol (and put in extra as I'll treat myself to some of it spooned over good vanilla ice cream after I've made the cake).
The whisky dundee cake is nice too, usually make one for my sister.

Will make mine this week to allow plenty of feeding wink

culturemulcher Wed 03-Oct-12 11:33:50

All the supermarkets seem to suddenly declare that it's cake-making week by knocking all their dried fruit and marzipan down to half price or bogof. cheapskate that I am that usually reminds me to make the cake.

itsstillgood like the idea of making more fruit/brandy to go over ice-cream. you're a woman after my own heart. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now