Talk

Advanced search

Present for a 6yo boy who loves drawing?

(25 Posts)
MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 25-Sep-12 20:58:27

That's it really. He sits at it for hours...

Any ideas lovely MNetters?

TIA!

DianaVreeland Tue 25-Sep-12 21:35:16

A REALLY big pad.
http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/childrens_painting_and_sketching.htm

Artifolk do a big drawing pad for £6.99, I regularly buy them for my son as he loves drawing too. It's bigger than A2 but not quite A1.
Also he loves Sprayza pens - you blow through them and get an airbrush effect. Argos sell sets of these.
Hope that helps!

nimbs Tue 25-Sep-12 21:38:47

My son who is 8 loves drawing too - he has these which he likes

www.amazon.co.uk/Draw-Horrible-Stuff-Step---Step/dp/1848584237/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348605422&sr=1-1

www.amazon.co.uk/Draw-Horrible-Science-Tony-Saulles/dp/1407111019/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348605445&sr=1-1

have a look here: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=how+to+draw&x=0&y=0

shineygoldpenny Tue 25-Sep-12 21:39:26

How to draw books. You can get lots of different ones. ds had a set of them that taught flowers, people, animals etc. I think they were DK, but not sure.

Catsdontcare Tue 25-Sep-12 21:43:24

Lurking for ideas!

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 25-Sep-12 21:46:00

Thank you all!! Lots of ideas there. We do a lot of large rolls of lining paper from B&Q but it would be lovely for him to have his own pad. And not tear any pages out so I can keep his lovely drawings forever!!

Amazon's good - we are on Prime so nice and cheap.

Those how to draw books sound amazing. DK are fab, aren't they?

Thanks again x

ProphetOfDoom Tue 25-Sep-12 21:50:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 25-Sep-12 21:56:44

Ah good - we have the Usborne 'Lots of things to find and colour' so this might be an option. There are lots of reductions I'm finding this evening in my online shopping; the card's taking a pounding!

I figure we can gift them for birthdays etc if it's too much tho.

Thank you!

purpleroses Tue 25-Sep-12 21:58:50

Fabric paints and a couple of cheap white T-shirts would be my suggestion. Both my DCs have had heaps of fun with painting (and wearing) t-shirts

purpleroses Tue 25-Sep-12 21:59:24

Oh, and the "Anti-colouring book" is great too!

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 25-Sep-12 22:04:06

Anti-colouring eh? Sounds worth a gander!!

lljkk Tue 25-Sep-12 22:04:56

Very nice set of felt pens. I am thinking to get some for DS 4.5.

purpleroses Tue 25-Sep-12 22:09:05

Here's the link anticolouring book

cairnterrier Tue 25-Sep-12 22:36:00

Spirograph?

zipzap Tue 25-Sep-12 23:19:30

go and check out thebookpeople.co.uk - they have loads of different drawing books, colouring books, crafty books - for all ages - and usually much cheaper than amazon!

I have a 7 yr old ds who adores drawing - one of his best presents last year was a cheap ream of white paper that he had all for himself. I also got him a little plastic wallet file so he could keep his special pictures and another so he could have things that were ongoing projects with him. Asda had a good laptop cushion with a hard surface fixed onto a cushion so he could sit down somewhere comfortable and have somewhere to draw on has also been good - there's was particularly good as it didn't have raised edges like lots of the laptrays around

just looking at book people now, the following look good and all are cheaper than amazon... (ds has a couple of them and loves them, he got an origami book for xmas last year and loved that too - they have a different one this year, but looks same sort of thing, might be worth a look at)
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=304194
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=252917
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=226910
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=252925
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=269551
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=304170
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=285274
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=296666

StarryEyedMama Wed 26-Sep-12 07:39:10

Quentin Blake does a brilliant drawing book which is available on Amazon. It's been a hit with every child I've brought it for!

WeAllHaveWings Wed 26-Sep-12 13:26:50

ds(8) loves drawing and what he likes best is good quality fibre pens, pencils and paper they wont bleed through.

We get him Staedtler Triplus Colour fibre pens, I think they come in 1mm and 0.3mm and he enjoys the fine line ones for details. Their pencils are good too. Normally they are £5-7 for a pack of 12, but Tesco have them reduced to £3-5 at the moment so I have bought already for for his Xmas stocking. You can also get packs of 24 with more colours in them.

For paper he's happy with packs of printer paper 100gsm which we get for around £4 for a pack of 250 sheets.

Have bought him various how to draw pokemon, cartoon characters etc but he didnt take to them, prefer to draw his own pictures.

I've thought a little about getting him a light box this year as he enjoys tracing pictures (he current sticks them to windows to do this).

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 26-Sep-12 13:47:07

WeAllHaveWings that sounds just like my DS! Thanks for the info about the posh felt tips - I wouldn't know where to begin. We've had comments about him from friends who walk past our front room and have seen him up at the window tracing stuff.

The laptop cushion sounds good too and the Quentin Blake book. My DM has bought him the Doodlepedia book too, StarryEyedMama - I hope he likes it!

Good old MN. Always saves me buying duds. smile

FireOverBabylon Wed 26-Sep-12 14:12:39

Have you looked in the Works? they have cheap art supplies - easels, pencils, pads etc. You'd get more for your money there.

haggisaggis Wed 26-Sep-12 14:23:40

When dd was about 6 or 7 I put together a big box of art stuff for Christmas - decent felt tips, coloured pencils, different colours of paper etc etc - she played with it for ages. Also - check out places like Hobbycraft - I got a proper A3 drawing pad and pencils reduced to £5 during the summer.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 26-Sep-12 20:11:15

I agree with a really good set of pens or pencils. Staedtler Triplus are fantastic pens. The colours are really vibrant and make any pictures look extra special.

I think someone has already mentioned a packet of printer paper - get the better quality stuff not the cheapest (still under £5 for 500 sheets at Tescos). It makes a big difference to the finished pictures.

I think a lightbox is a great idea, my dd would love one, makes copying pictures so much easier.

4forkssake Wed 26-Sep-12 20:17:08

What about a Super Grafix. Can't link on phone but on Amazon & other places.

panicnotanymore Wed 26-Sep-12 20:22:02

I'm with cairnterrier - you have got to get him a spirograph. www.amazon.com/Hasbro-67009-Spirograph/dp/B00000DMD6
I used to draw for hours and hours as a child, and when I was given one as a xmas present I thought I was the luckiest kid on the planet. I wouldn't have read a book on drawing, or used a colouring in book tbh.

The other thing that was a very special birthday treat was scraperboards and scraperfoil. You can get ones with a preprinted picture to scrape off as well as plain ones for his own drawings. I'm getting v nostalgic now - I LOVED them!!
www.economyofbrighton.co.uk/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=scaperboard

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 26-Sep-12 20:22:21

I love the idea of a lightbox too - he's doing OK with the window for now though! And sadly no Hobbycraft near us though MIL can be persuaded easily to the one near her!

Such wonderful ideas. smile

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 26-Sep-12 20:27:38

Perhaps like this? We have another Klutz book and it's brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now