Talk

Advanced search

Electric scooter

(9 Posts)
LovingBeingAMummy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:27:25

Help, please! Looking at getting DS 8 and 10 an electric scooter each for Christmas.
Any ones to avoid? Any tips on what to look out for? Detachable a good thing? Many thanks

QuintessentialShadows Mon 24-Sep-12 14:29:15

Just curious, why electric? Do they have mobility issues?

As otherwise, I think they are fun for about 5 minutes. You might be better off getting them stunt scooters where they can go to the nearest skate park and have hours of fun with lots of other children.

LovingBeingAMummy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:34:52

Both hyper mobile so don't really 'enjoy' normal scooting - always prefer the bike. Thought this would make them enjoy scooting around the park as can't fit 2 big bikes in my car.
Oh no no no to skate park - can't face another A&E visit with dislocated elbows.
Thanks

Sirzy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:38:03

If they don't enjoy normal scooting why do you think they would like these? Can they not just run around in the park instead?

LovingBeingAMummy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:39:59

yes they can and do run round the park as well as play games there. We saw a child riding / "driving" an electric one and thye both said "cool2 so i thought it would make a nice christmas present.

QuintessentialShadows Mon 24-Sep-12 14:40:11

I can see why you would want to avoid that!

Have they had a go on an electric scooter before? They are not very fast.
My sons had a go on a neighbours electric scooter, but they use stunt scooters and skateboards, so for them it got a bit boring. It was fun to start with, but I imagine that the situation would be different for your two. It sounds brilliant for scooting around the park without the risk of getting hurt!

Sorry, I dont know anything about brands and cost!

LovingBeingAMummy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:42:47

Did your sons like riding the electric scooter?
DS 10's best friend has stunt scooter but we have BANNED him from trying to use it!! Don't think he would tho as he is very aware of his hypermobility ... doesn't like the xray business at the hospital...

QuintessentialShadows Mon 24-Sep-12 14:48:57

They did for a bit, but they are really into jumps and spins, so "only" riding got a bit boring when the novelty wore off. You could only really ride them carefully along a proper paved path, going slow all the time.

LovingBeingAMummy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:54:26

Thanks for the feedback - all helps the decision making. Don't want to throw money away on a fad.
Might stick to a big lego set - at least they play with it over and over

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now