Talk

Advanced search

Wyevale have started..when do you put your tree up...

(28 Posts)
ByTheWay1 Sun 23-Sep-12 13:46:43

OMG - not yet please.... 2 fairly cute willow reindeer were out today - it is September.

On another note do you buy real/imitation and when do you put up/take down..

We are torn this year - I like a real one - but have a new dog.....who lives where the tree normally goes...

Ours goes up around the 14th and down after new year....

starfishmummy Sun 23-Sep-12 14:33:30

In spite of good intentions ours usually goes up on xmas eve!
Small artificial for us, but need to replace this year so may go bigger.

meditrina Sun 23-Sep-12 14:51:06

It goes up some time just after a family birthday in December.

I do think it's weird to have decorations up before Advent Sunday, and even then that's a good 6 weeks until the traditional end of Christmas on 12th Night and I doubt a real tree would last very well for that ling a time.

CherryMonster Sun 23-Sep-12 15:10:35

decorations go up around dec 1st here, but tree not until about 10 days before christmas.

ByTheWay1 Sun 23-Sep-12 16:00:53

A work colleague gets his tree fresh on 1st Dec - then replaces it (!?!?!?!) on about the 20th with another bloomin expensive fresh one which stays up 'til 12th night!

ProudNeathGirl Sun 23-Sep-12 16:14:44

The weekend before 25th, and down the day before I go back to work (usually 4th/5th).
The "C" word is banned in this house before 1/12.

Nat38 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:07:20

We put our tree & decorations up the first weekend of December!gringrin
We have a kitten this year so it`s going to be fun!wink

TaperJeanGirl Sun 23-Sep-12 21:57:26

I put ours up the last weekend of November and take it all down the day after boxing day smile

seabuckthorn Tue 25-Sep-12 13:40:05

1st December.
The tree about 14th.

Petsinmypudenda Tue 25-Sep-12 13:52:40

Tree goes up at the start of the school Christmas holidays.
We usually have a small 3 ft real tree that we buy from a mate of dh's for £10

girlywhirly Tue 25-Sep-12 14:08:35

Tree (artificial) around the 12th Dec, rest of decs next day. I can't face doing it all on one day, even though I love them. They come down just before 12th night.

I spent ages last year trying to find strong plastic crates with lids that would fit through our loft hatch easily, without half the contents falling out! Managed to get some reduced in Homebase in the end.

The cat watches me very solemnly as I construct the tree, I wonder whether she remembers climbing it as a kitten/young cat. She doesn't bother anymore!

LuellaLovesLavender Tue 25-Sep-12 15:51:58

Up around the first weekend of December and down the day after little Christmas! If your going to bother you might as well get your money's worth out if it!

DogsCock Tue 25-Sep-12 15:53:15

Half term here. So end Oct.

BadgersRetreat Tue 25-Sep-12 16:01:28

first weekend of Dec - i have a lovely day doing all the decs. I really enjoy it.

we have an artificial tree - rented for a year and weren't allowed a real one so we got a good fake one and it does the job.

Outside lights go on in Oct/Nov but don't get switched on till December.

(Have to get them up before the house and garden is covered in snow and DH doesn't want to be outside up a ladder when it's -20!)

kay1975 Tue 25-Sep-12 16:26:43

3rd weekend in Nov for me! Takes me a couple days.....I love it!

xmasevebundle Tue 25-Sep-12 21:52:58

17th nov each year without fail. It will change if DS is born before christmas e.g 10th dec, will go up a few days after.

Cant wait for christmasgrin

TerraNotSoFirma Wed 26-Sep-12 01:12:37

2nd weekend in December.
I am going to try and do it whilst the children are in bed, so they come down to it all lit up and looking festive.

Can't wait.

lisaro Wed 26-Sep-12 01:26:57

When the kids were young it was always the weekend before Christmas at whatever time exh was at home (unless Christmas was weekend or Monday, then it'd be as soon as we could all be there together. We always made a point of having everything down before ds birthday in the fourth. Now they're older and my work hours are not normal hours it's whenever it's done, but never until a few days before. Always still down the second or third. Christmas is lovely, but don't get the people who put decs up so early. I always felt the run up to the day should be short but special.

deleted203 Wed 26-Sep-12 01:39:32

OK. You can't do Christmas before Halloween and Bonfire Night for a start.....that's just deeply wrong. Christmas is December, not before. We have a real tree so it goes up Saturday before Christmas because otherwise it is just a sad brown twig by Christmas Day (and the bloody needles are all over the carpet).

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 26-Sep-12 01:59:53

Lights 1st dec onwards, DH does go a bit mad. The highest ones may go up end Nov. because the ladder is banned in high wind or icy cold. However they aren't turned on until dec.
Tree mid dec onwards. Depends on dates of weekends as the DDs like to go out to the farm and chose.

oreocrumbs Wed 26-Sep-12 09:10:13

Tree goes up on the nearest weekend to the 14th (my brothers birthday, so I've just followed on from what my parents did).

I love christmas, I love the run up to it, but it stops after boxing day here! Everything comes down on the 27th at the latest. Sometimes boxing day itself if I'm at home.

I end it so quickly because I love it and want to keep it special. From boxing day onwards we go back to work, it is DP's birthday, and the date my dad died. By getting everything down and ending Christmas on the day I can keep it special and seperate from those other things.

DevaDiva Wed 26-Sep-12 09:38:44

First opportunity after 4th Dec (DDs bday) if it was up to me I'd wait until weekend before Christmas. I want to go for a real tree this year assuming the purchase of our house ever goes through angry

DevaDiva Wed 26-Sep-12 09:39:34

Oh and it comes down on 12th night. I don't understand people whipping it down on Boxing Day confused

oreocrumbs Wed 26-Sep-12 10:20:48

When your dad dies at christmas it takes the shine off things slightly Deva.

JakeBullet Wed 26-Sep-12 10:24:39

Considering not doing a tree this year but getting some twigs and holly etc frm the local woods and spraying them gold and silver with DS.

Won't be done until mid December at the earliest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now