Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Skylanders? What, where, how???

(21 Posts)
BertramBertram Sat 22-Sep-12 18:09:24

Can anyone enlighten me on Skylanders? DS2 (4) has been banging on about this for weeks and is desperate to have it for Christmas. I honestly don't get it! Initially I thought it was a lot of little characters you collect like Moshi monsters or something but it seems that there is a computer game as well.

DS1 is 6 so will be able to take over help DS2 but is it a bit too adventurous for their age? It seems like you have a lot of additional things to buy to get full functionality but can it be played without?

Any advice/help welcomed!

Geordieminx Sat 22-Sep-12 18:15:38

You need a ps3 or wii or Xbox?

We bought ds the starter set for his 5th birthday this year, think it was about £30 for game, USB thing and portal of power (eats batteries). Each sky lander costs about £7, and they enable you to get to different parts of the game, and they all have different strengths.

It's actually quite a fun game, not violent and encourages them to think. Ds loves it, although be warned there are over 30 of the feckers to collect... (((realizes we have spent over £200 on plastic crap since may))))

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 22-Sep-12 18:21:54

you can play it on PS3, xbox, Wii and the PC. Amazon has starter packs and add on packs

BertramBertram Sat 22-Sep-12 18:36:22

How did your DS get on with it Geordie? Wasn't sure if it was too old for a 4 year old & don't want to have to sit there with him whilst he plays it (although isn't that the job for DH?!).

We have a Wii so thats not a problem but £200... DS2 has a birthday in April so we can 'top up' then.

What exactly is it though? I've asked DS2 and he replied 'mummy, it's cool. You wouldn't understand' confused

Virgil Sat 22-Sep-12 18:41:29

It's a computer game which comes with a plastic portal. The game and portal and starter characters (2) is fifty pounds. When you put the little character onto the portal it enters the game onscreen (which is very clever). You then switch the characters. Be warned you will end up buying lots of characters which are between seven and fifteen pounds depending on whether they are rare or not. DS2 played it at 4.5 with Ds1. They both love it. Skylanders giants is the new game which comes out in a few weeks. New characters but you can also use the old ones in it too.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 22-Sep-12 18:59:01

ds(8) got it last Xmas and enjoyed it. We have most of the characters and adventrue packs apart from Boomer and the ledgendary ones so have spent more that £250 since Xmas (ds spent his birthday/pocket money on them too, which is better than the normal plastic tat he buys with it). He doesnt play much now, but still wants Skylander Giants when they come out next month.

the game is good, but ds wouldnt have been able to play it at 4 yrs old as there is a little bit of reading and he wasnt very good at the type of game where you had to walk about searching for things, he only really played mario kart type games at that age.

have a look on youtube and you can see some videos of what the game looks like.

missmapp Sat 22-Sep-12 19:01:42

ds1 had this for his last bday(7), he has justy mastered it, ds2(just 5) cant really do it, but enjoys watching ds1!!

Geordieminx Sat 22-Sep-12 19:02:13

Ds got on with it fine, he is great on it.

You don't need to buy the. All at once, ds tends to get one every few weeks as a treat

5inthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 19:02:31

I hate the blasted things. DS1 got this for Christmas last year and now has all of the 32 figures. He is banging on about the new game coming out in October with another 20 figures.

He does pay on the game though to make use of all the figures.

missmapp Sat 22-Sep-12 19:07:56

I feel really mean now, Ds only has 4 figures!! He has asked for more for christmas though, but plays quite happily with only 4 of them!

OvO Sat 22-Sep-12 19:43:59

It's brilliant! grin I love playing it. blush

My boys are 4 and 7 and love it. You can do 2 players so they can work together. It's easy enough for a 4 year old to do the levels without help, but there's lots of extra areas (within the levels) that require more thinking that is great for slightly older kids.

To get most out of it you will need at least 1 character from each element. I think there's something like 8? I've forgotten. You don't need all the characters. Though we have 34. blush

Waitingforastartofall Sat 22-Sep-12 19:58:51

My boys love it. Got it at easter and have collected all 32 from various birthdays.pocket money ect. Last two are on their way this week thanks to his pocket money saving. He was 4 when we got it and needed some help from ss who is eight but he's learnt quickly, its not at violent and has memory and other thinking games. We have preordered giants akylanders for Christmas. Like others said it does cost a lot once you factor in collecting figures ect and some are harder to het hold off. We have it on wii and the best tip I can pass on is invest in rechArgeable batteries it swallows power. You can also use the codes from the figure packs to play online with your skylanders in like a virtual skyland. Asda have recently started selling the strategy book which ds loves as lots of handy tips,.and only about four pound. I clearly have too Much time on my hands cause I love playin it too!

DilysPrice Sat 22-Sep-12 20:21:54

You'd need the Skylanders: Spyros Adventures Starter Pack which costs about 40 quid from Amazon. That will keep a 4 year old going for ages, and if he gets really into it you can collect some extra characters to add extra goodies.

We've got 3 Skylanders players in the house (aged 7, 9 and 40) and we've got one of each element (there are 8, and you get 3 in the starter pack) which has set us back less than a hundred quid.

I'm not sure how much a 4 year old would get out of it though - it's quite tricky.

BertramBertram Sun 23-Sep-12 08:12:38

I think DH will love won't mind helping DS with it. DS1 hasn't shown much interest in it but I bet he will try & take over if we get it for DS2!

Might have a looking eBay...

BertramBertram Sun 23-Sep-12 08:13:33

Might have a looking eBay?? Might start having a look on eBay/Might start looking on eBay!

Waitingforastartofall Sun 23-Sep-12 08:29:27

Be careful on ebay they go for alot more than they are worth especially if they say rare. In my experience any can be difficult to get hold of depending on stock so dont pay over the odds. They retail in asda forvseven pound a single figure. Seventeen an adventure pack. In grainger games they are ninecpound a figure. Twenty an adventure pack.

ChippyMinton Sun 23-Sep-12 08:39:51

There's a new thing coming out - Skylanders Giants. No idea what it involves, but just a heads up in case you get even more confused.

My DC enjoy it, and take their figures to friends' houses to play.

Tesco usually have a good choice of figures. And get some rechargeable batteries for the portal.

BertramBertram Sun 23-Sep-12 15:57:06

Thanks for the tips! Will have to start having a look when I go shopping. I wonder whether the original might get cheaper soon if there is a new one coming out or whether I should just get the new one.

Must have been easier for parents when it was a choice of keplunk or guess who!

DilysPrice Sun 23-Sep-12 16:22:53

I'd definitely get the old one first. Original (Spyros Adventure) starter pack is 40 quid on Amazon, but the Starter pack for Skylanders Giants (the new one) is 60 quid, you'd just be paying an extra 20 quid to have the new one and your DS won't care.

Choufleur Sun 23-Sep-12 16:35:43

We got ds the original starter pack from asda the other day for 38 quid and two other figures for 7 each. Ds is driving me mad constantly talking it but he clearly loves it. A lot of his friends have it too.

VikingVagine Wed 19-Dec-12 20:03:16

I'm bumping this because I just ordered the first starter pack from amazon for €33 (less than £30).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now