Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think an Ipad could be a shared present between

(30 Posts)
skrumle Sat 22-Sep-12 16:01:51

12yo DD and 5yo DS?

There's no way we would spend the money to buy one each - even as a shared present it's above usual budget. I do think they'd both like it and obviously DD stays up later than DS so she would have some times that she could have it to herself...

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Sat 22-Sep-12 17:20:25

My DH and I spent last weekend discussing this! We have DD 9 and DS 8, and came to the conclusion that it would end up being DD's present! Like you we would not buy 2 Ipads, so we have decided to buy them each an Android Tablet - about £100 each so will be cheaper actually.

OrangeImperialGoldBlether Sat 22-Sep-12 18:12:02

I wouldn't buy a joint present between children of such different ages, OP. I'm sorry as I know it would be a lovely present. Is there any way your older child could have it and your younger child have cheaper (but physically bigger) presents?

MarjorieAntrobus Sat 22-Sep-12 18:26:25

YABU. It is really difficult to share an iPad. I bought one a year ago, and DH commented that, as I was so bad at sharing it with him wink (my wink, that is) he would have to buy his own. Which he did.

DCs can share playstations, or dolls house or train sets. I really don't think they can share iPads.

Anyexcuse Sat 22-Sep-12 18:27:24

Why don't you make it a family gift? We got most of an iPad as a family gift last year (we contributed a third) and it has really worked for us (5 of us, dcs 15,13 &11). If it belongs to you all I think it would sort of dilute the tension between your kids iykwim. We all love it and wouldn't be without it now. Go for it!

MarjorieAntrobus Sat 22-Sep-12 18:28:30

Sorry, my point is that even nominally sensible adults cannot share iPads!

No hope of a 12yo and a 5yo sharing one.

BellaVita Sat 22-Sep-12 18:30:43

Err this will not end well between a 12yr and 5yr old.

YABU expecting them to share.

I would buy the 12yr old one and the 5yr old one something else.

SoupDragon Sat 22-Sep-12 18:31:37

I think you are delusional TBH smile

NettoSuperstar Sat 22-Sep-12 18:32:50

No way.

Piffpaffpoff Sat 22-Sep-12 18:35:18

No

Piffpaffpoff Sat 22-Sep-12 18:36:05

I mean no, don't do it not no yanbu. Impossible to share.

AlfalfaMum Sat 22-Sep-12 18:40:17

I have an iPad and the whole family share it, so I don't see why not. It's not like you'd want them to be on it all day anyway, so surely they can take turns?

(BTW, great for watching 4OD in bed)

rhondajean Sat 22-Sep-12 23:59:44

What about two kindle fires? They are supposed to be really good.

ninja Sun 23-Sep-12 00:03:28

What about ipod touch for DD and cheap tablet for DS?

Adds up to less and the touch does almost as much as an ipad. Otherwise a medium priced tablet.

Floralnomad Sun 23-Sep-12 00:04:11

A definite NO . My DD had one for her birthday last year and we ended up getting another this year which I am supposed to share with my DS . It really bloody annoys me if he touches it and I can usually share quite nicely! having said that we looked at some of the cheaper tablets when we bought our latest one and they were not anywhere near as good IMO.

Floralnomad Sun 23-Sep-12 00:22:25

BTW QVC have a tablet on TSV today that's on easy pay and looks reasonable.

Ok we have a family ipad.
I never get to touch it
DP rarely gets to before its whipped out from under his nose by DS age 3
DS1 gets to but he gets infuriated when his profile on a certain game gets wiped or used by DS2 who likes to remove apps hmm which loses all the data.
DS2 uses it most of the time and can access youtube and some pretty erm not very nice videos so it got removed (youtube app) until i work out how to block unsuitable videos
If you think you can get round that.. lol

IMO you should get two cheaper android tablets .. ipads aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway

BellaVita Sun 23-Sep-12 08:19:19

a good offer from Groupon 12% off

loubielou31 Sun 23-Sep-12 22:15:24

Not a sharing present, just get something else.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 23-Sep-12 22:19:08

Not a good idea imo. Buy it for the 12yo. Get the 5yo something else.

gregssausageroll Mon 24-Sep-12 08:02:00

Again,I would say no. Imagine Christmas day when they both want to play. It will end in tears. 2 android tablets or re think the gifts.

Shinyshoes1 Mon 24-Sep-12 08:05:26

I wouldn't . For that reason I'm getting the boys one each for Christmas

Shinyshoes1 Mon 24-Sep-12 08:06:28

Yh yh android tabs . The galaxy tab looks a reasonable price and they can have one each then for the price of 1 iPad

skrumle Mon 24-Sep-12 08:45:36

thanks all - the comments about apps getting deleted, etc have made me think maybe not.

unfortunately i think that means a no full stop as the galaxy tab 10" isn't that different in price to the ipad, and DD got an ipod touch last year (which she adores) so i wouldn't get her the ipad just for herself (it would be waaaaay over budget too).

gregssausageroll Mon 24-Sep-12 09:01:08

There are cheaper ones out there. Someone mentioned the kindle fire. That is £159. The google nexus is £199. Archos £170. Check quidco and topcashback for any deals and cashback for your purchase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now