Talk

Advanced search

Share what toys were a hit/miss...

(21 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Thu 20-Sep-12 08:25:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 20-Sep-12 08:39:46

A couple of years back, DS asked for a car that can go up walls (can't even remember the name) >It was pants, I don't know what kind of wall it's meant to go up, but none of them in our house hmm

And a Schreecher - a lizardy/dinosaur that makes a noise and spits water. Got a bit meh after 35 seconds a while and I was itching to take the batteries out.

DS has a birthday in December so his list of birthday/Christmas sometimes overlaps.

He's 13yo this year.
Good things have been
Nintendo DS
X-Box
Adventure Days out- ( climbing, 4x4 driving, lasertag and archery) was what he did.

We've booked him a Young Driver Lesson (it was meant to be last year but we didn't get round to it.)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 20-Sep-12 08:41:10

And for my DD (now 10yo) Sylvanian Family <<sigh>>

KinkyAllTooOrangeDorito Thu 20-Sep-12 08:59:03

Imaginext all the way for young DS (mine, 3, Dnephews 2 and 3). I think I should be on commission for them...

Miss: Smokey the Firetruck - after initial excitement does very little.

I still think action figures are best bet, whether imaginext style or other toys with cars/things to shoot and fiddle with. Or construction bits - lego/duplo/mega bloks.

Waitingforastartofall Thu 20-Sep-12 10:08:46

HIT- playmobil, lego, trashies ( i think their gross but whatever)

MISS- triorps creatures, ant world,

shinybaubles Thu 20-Sep-12 10:32:46

trains - have been played with for 4 years running now, and are still asked for by both dc.
imaginext
tonka truck

lego and playmobil cause a lot of intial excitement but then as bits fall off etc they quickly fade, and get chucked in a box.

DoubleMum Thu 20-Sep-12 12:49:38

Fail: go go hamsters!!!

CoffeeGoneColdAgain Thu 20-Sep-12 13:09:57

FAIL> Biscuit the bloody dog. Searched High and low and paid over the odds for the sodding thing to be sat on the landing since 25/12/11!
It never worked like the you tube videos show either! sad

DoubleMum Thu 20-Sep-12 14:58:29

Snap too, forgot about Biscuit. DD wants to sell him now but am not sure if there's a market for a large fluffy dog anymore.

wavesandsmiles Thu 20-Sep-12 15:08:20

All time win - Kapla. Both DS and DD LOVE it almost as much as me

I think DD was 4 when I first got a set for them, and DS was 5. We still spend loads of time using it, and have added to the original set with coloured planks and new design books.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 20-Sep-12 15:49:29

Oooh Triops were fabulous!

Until we had 3 massive ones left (they were about the size of my fingernail).
One dissappeared confused. Then one of the remaining ones ate it's companion.
Then died.

Nasty little things, but interesting.

CoffeeGoneColdAgain Thu 20-Sep-12 16:40:29

Yes Doublemum I thought the same, no one wants a huge dog taking up space grin

Waitingforastartofall Thu 20-Sep-12 19:31:45

i think becasue theyve been put on top of the wardrobe hes forgotten them, i might bring them down and give it a go!

LeFreak Thu 20-Sep-12 20:29:14

For 5 yo DD

Hits have been, in order of most played with:

Scooter
CD player and audio books
Books
DVDs
Basic craft stuff, felt pens, gel pens, paper
Play food and tea set
Any type of doll you can dress
Teddies
Dressing up clothes
Orchard games
Lego (but only the basic blocks)

Misses:
Wooden dolls house
Most small world toys
Bike
Fancy lego sets
But I know other kids love these so it just goes to show how child-specific it can be.

SkiBumMum Thu 20-Sep-12 20:33:40

Dd1 3.5
Hit - ELC Build It starter kit, kitchen & food etc, shopping trolley, ice cream cones
Miss - trains,

BeaWheesht Fri 21-Sep-12 11:24:59

Ds (5)
Imagibext ESP batman stuff
Hats - eg soldier, train driver, policeman
Disney cars
Star wars
Miss- Disney cars tracks, imaginext dinosaur, zhu zhu hamsters, Ben 10, armouron

Dd (2)
Wooden kitchen
Cars of any description
Baby and buggy
Medical set
Ball
Craft stuff
Mega blocks
Happy land
Miss- dollies that aren't babies, tv specific toys, keyboard

BeaWheesht Fri 21-Sep-12 11:25:23

Oh and they both love fuzzy felts and animal figures

OvO Fri 21-Sep-12 15:29:40

Hits:
Lego
Wooden building blocks - these are played with every single day by both my DS's (almost 5 and almost 8)
Lego and playmobil figures
Play food

Misses:
Every other bit of playmobil that isn't a person or a dinosaur. They never play with the sets.
Sylvanian Families - have the big hotel and it's never been played with despite much begging for it.

Onadietcolabreak Fri 21-Sep-12 16:03:59

Hits:
Annuals
Happy land
Toy food
Ben 10
Littlest pet shop

Misses:
Any soft toy that moves (got all those darn fur real toys, but not one has been played with)

Stinky the garbage truck, DS had nightmares about it!

Anything I payed alot for!

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sat 22-Sep-12 16:32:24

HIT
Duplo (mine are too young for lego)
Sylvanian Families
Cars of any descripton as long as they dont rely on batteries and can just be pushed around
Innotab- but only with an adaptor as it eats up batteries at an alarming rate.
Stacking Cups

MISS
Moon Dough
Bounce and Spin Zebra- clunky, hard to store and DD didn't like it as much as she liked her cousin's hmm
Barbie Puppy Water Park- is now in the back garden collecting rain water. Only got it as it was one of the few things DD asked father christmas for.
Any large character doll. They tend to be very heavy. so heavy that your 2 year old buckles under it's weight and soon gets fed up with it and decides to then name one of her dolls Iggle Piggle instead. (Shame she couldnt have just done that before instead of insisting daddy father christmas must spend 40 quid on the damn thing!)

Startailoforangeandgold Sat 22-Sep-12 17:33:33

Hits mostly DD2, DD1 doesn't do toys, never did. Likes art craft and now reading.

So DD2 hits Playmobil especially vehicles and hospital,

Toy vehicles of all kinds, pink and purple ones are always appreciated, but boys ones too.

Baby dolls and pushchairs.

Happy land (sadly road now only on EBay)

Both DD1 and DD2
Duplo
Brio and cheap copies, we have loads (nice aunts Xmas presents) keep all ages including adults quiet.

Build a bear soft toys and clothes- yes they are expensive, but they are cuddly and the clothes are easy to fit.

Misses
Poly pocket, badly made

Legosad my favourite, but modern stuff has just to many fiddly specific bits. I guess they were too small when we introduced it. Never got to like it.
Keep saying I'll get it out now they are older.

Barbies-these have gone in the bin.
Hopeless, go fuzzy hair and clothes that rip. Like wise some ELC dress able dolls for slightly younger DDs that were as bad.

Wooden dolls house people and furniture.

Dolls house is used a lot, but as a playmobil house, school or hospital.

The other total miss is Geo Mag, you can't build anything that doesn't collapse it's hopeless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now