Talk

Advanced search

Baking and freezing ahead for Christmas

(8 Posts)
catfart Wed 19-Sep-12 09:49:16

I am topic heaven!

I'm 6 month pregnant, due on 08th December. DH, DS(2 years) and I have moved to quite a remote place, we do have neighbours but easily get snowed in for days/weeks at winter.

I thought I might make some of my Christmas trimmings and freeze ahead, like stuffing etc. Just wondered if anyone else was doing this and what they are doing?

I also like making homemade tags for Christmas gifts but this year am taking the pressure off myself having a newborn and toddler! So yes, is anyone making any lovely things to go in the freezer ahead and if so can you share?

Thanks

DoubleMum Wed 19-Sep-12 10:20:40

We used to freeze stuffing for our catering business and it does go a bit watery, but would be OK if it were going to be reheated.
You can also freeze prepared parsnips - I think Delia recommends doing this for her parmesan parsnips. If you were making your own bread sauce you could freeze that, also bacon-wrapped sausages so they're ready to cook. Mince pies freeze well and if you were doing an alternative to xmas pud you could make sure it was a freezable one. However having said all this if I were having a baby in December (and mine were 2 weeks' late!) I would be making life as easy as possible and making someone else cook xmas dinner, LOL!

Rumours Wed 19-Sep-12 13:49:11

I did last year, and will get round to it soon this year. I made and froze my cranberry sauce, breadsauce, sausage meat stuffing and Christmas pudding. Made life a little easier smile

catfart Wed 19-Sep-12 15:49:45

I'd love people to cook me Christmas dinner, but it won't happen believe me! Lol.

Got Nigellas Christmas book out and thought I'd make and freeze these:

Gingerbread stuffing
Bread sauce
Bacon wrapped chipolatas
mince pies
Chocolate pudding and chocolate sauce
Yule log
Macaroni cheese deluxe for Christmas eve

On a baking and freezing mission anyway with meals so I could portion some it aside and then have bits for a few roast dinners after Christmas as well.....

I'm on it!

DoubleMum Wed 19-Sep-12 16:22:04

Sounds good. : )

girlywhirly Wed 19-Sep-12 17:18:43

I make mince pies, and also stuffing and carrot and parsnip puree for Christmas lunch to freeze, and a pack of chipolatas. I freeze the stuffing in an ovenproof shallow dish so that I can thaw it overnight and put straight in the oven I reserve a small amount in a freezer bag to put in the chicken before I roast it. Carrot and parsnip puree also freezes in a dish and is microwaved on the day (saves hob space)

I recommend making homemade soups and stews for the freezer, for days when you don't feel like cooking, or if there are times when you can't get out. You can freeze blocks of butter and cheese, and bread rolls and loaves, and milk. Most cakes freeze well.

Arithmeticulous Sun 23-Sep-12 18:36:15

Jamie's Get Ahead gravy, frozen in portions. Also bread and cranberry sauce.

Partbake frozen baguettes, cheese and leftovers [heaven]

Moxxie Fri 28-Sep-12 14:14:13

I regularly make too much stuffing and freeze it, bringing it out for roasts or whatever during the year.

I was really disappointed with Nigella's gingerbread stuffing last year though - I thought it sounded really Christmassy but it was just like having cake on your plate. Odd. Will be going back to my usual apple stuffing this year...

You've inspired me to get into the mood though and start planning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now