Talk

Advanced search

Nice (but reasonably priced) adult stocking fillers?

(11 Posts)
NoHank Sun 16-Sep-12 09:10:24

DM has suggested this year that rather than buying lots of gifts for each other which we usually do, we stick to one nice present each. This is great as we are on a much tighter budget this year, however in addition to buying her a main gift I would like to do her her own stocking filled with some lovely little gifts.

She is so good to us throughout the year and I know she will spoil the DC's rotten too so any ideas for some nice but cheap treats would be much appreaciated

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Sun 16-Sep-12 09:42:44

A little umbrella she could pop in her handbag?

Small box of chocs from a nice shop?

Gloves/hat/scarf?

Hand cream?

Little yankee/woodwick candle wax tarts or samplers?

notnowImreading Sun 16-Sep-12 09:51:50

We do this in my family, but as there are ten adults and we all buy one stocking present for each person the stockings are in fact by far the best bit of Christmas. We have a price limit on stocking gifts of £4.

This year the trawl included: a fancy red satin shower cap with bow; pots of lovely chocolate sauce to go on ice cream; a cheese knife; a pie funnel shaped like a blackbird; a pair of slipper socks filled with chocolates; a mini bottle of sloe gin; lip balm; a book of sudoku puzzles; a tiny bottle of Moroccan oil (I think it was a free sample); posh ground coffee. I love Christmas. smile

SuePurblybilt Sun 16-Sep-12 14:58:49

We do this on Christmas Eve, combined with a treasure hunt. Agree - lip balms, small pots of nice things etc. Nice hot chocolate or coffee, mini bars of Green and Blacks, little candles, old fashioned sweets, a christmas decoration, favourite miniatures (hic!). Lots of the supermarkets have just put out the Christmas chocolates and are doing 3 for £1 on the Lindt reindeer, santas and bears.

YouOldSlag Sun 16-Sep-12 15:07:20

Yy to hand cream- every woman needs hand cream!

Also posh coffee is a good one.
Slippers and socks
bubble bath (I always love a bath on Christmas Day)
Last year Poundland had proper chocolate liqueurs, Famous Brands, I think.
Cath Kidston mugs are only £4
TK Maxx do incredibly nice soaps and soap sets for a few pounds
M and S toiletries are excellent.

Basically anything that's a bit of luxury that a woman would feel self indulgent in buying them for herself.

parttimedomesticgoddess Sun 16-Sep-12 15:14:54

There were lots of great ideas on this thread a couple of months ago, in particular the later (enormous) post by BiddyPop on the second page.

NoHank Sun 16-Sep-12 17:16:51

Brilliant, thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I can put together a nice stocking now.

anything that's a bit of luxury that a woman would feel self indulgent in buying them for herself I think that's exactly what I should be going for. The things I know she loves but wouldn't necessarily buy as she would be worried about being extravagent (in small measures!)

HoneyKate Thu 27-Sep-12 16:47:53

A whoopee cushion! Honestly - never has so much fun been had by so many for such a small price. Appeals to all ages I've found.

TommeeTipsy Thu 27-Sep-12 17:06:28

I got a couple of nice things in Tiger the other day including nice note books and a post it note pad which has a cover shaped like a bar of chocolate.

Katienana Thu 27-Sep-12 18:31:39

If you shop in Boots you could buy things using the £5 off No7 vouchers they do quite often. The Sumptuous bath range is very nice. They also have lots of mini toiletries in the travel section (they are often on 3 for 2 as well). What about socks and underwear too? It wouldn't be Christmas without new socks!
I know it's not 'luxury' but I also like little kitchen things in my stocking, random stuff like a set of measuring spoons or a spaghetti measurer. Little things that make life easier over the year! I would also like a bath pillow I might put that on my list this year.

4forkssake Thu 27-Sep-12 20:24:44

Miniatures of her favourite stuff eg bottle of alcohol, jams, chocs, sweets, toiletries. Coffee shop voucher, nail polishes, manicure set, bookmark, something relating to any hobbies she might have. Maybe make a few things, in sure she would be made up.

I love stockings grin (in the Christmas not hosiery sense wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now