Where can I buy a gingerbread house?

(33 Posts)
LubileeJubileeJayde Wed 29-Aug-12 11:27:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hopeforever Wed 29-Aug-12 11:28:04

Ikea do them at Christmas

NettOlympicSuperstar Wed 29-Aug-12 11:28:23

I've seen them in Tesco.
I'm going to attempt making one this year, from the great bristish bake off book

takingthestairs Wed 29-Aug-12 11:30:21

You can make one from scratch, here's the recipe or if you have a Carluccios restuarant near you, they sell them in the run up to Christmas. As far as I remember, John Lewis sold them last year as kits. The structure of the house was pre-made, you assembled it and decorated it yourself.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 29-Aug-12 11:31:11

Lidl do them for a fiver nearer Christmas.

rockandahardplace2012 Wed 29-Aug-12 11:31:16

Last year my nan bought one from Aldi i think it was it was about £6

rockandahardplace2012 Wed 29-Aug-12 11:31:33

It might have been lidl actually!

ByTheWay1 Wed 29-Aug-12 11:35:10

We did these 3 years in a row - no more..... was fun in the making of it, but you end up with a great big confection with no where to put it - who has the space around at Christmas!!

and only a bit gets eaten as the kids want to eat their sweets and chocolate and mince pies and cake and........ So I eat the gingerbread house as I do love it - but there is only soooooooooo much I want to eat...

This year we will be making Gingerbread Christmas tree decorations - there is somewhere to put them, still get the fun of doing it, and I can eat a few of them! (I know Ikea do the blank ones, or we might make our own - who knows!!)

greenhill Wed 29-Aug-12 11:35:59

A decent garden centre that sells food will usually open up a Christmas shop on the run up to Christmas and will normally have gingerbread houses along with attractive wooden tree decorations, door decorations/ wreaths etc.

Bigger supermarkets will have them too and department stores such as House of Fraser or BHS.

oreocrumbs Wed 29-Aug-12 20:26:40

Lakeland do a lovely one, but I'm going for the Aldi one this year. Its half the price and looked just the same.

I agree with ByTheWay1's points though, once its made it just kind of hangs around getting moved from table to windowsill and back!

It's a nice christmas activity though, and it is going in as one of our advent calendar activities!

NoComet Wed 29-Aug-12 20:43:40

Ikea!!

We did two as a sleep over activity, they are hard to stick together, we ended up using loads of regal ice.

One was decorated by 3 teenage girls, the other by two younger ones. You can guess which group thought an avalanche of icing sugar would look goodwink

duchesse Wed 29-Aug-12 20:49:29

We got them in Lidl last year, much closer to Christmas though!

DoubleMum Wed 29-Aug-12 21:21:20

I had the Lakeland one last year and it was fantastic - really easy, the pieces just slotted together and it looked great. Every time I've made one myself there's been something gone wrong - the gingerbread spreads too much so it doesn't fit together properly , a wall collapses - it's too much stress! So a kit is the way to go for me, not Ikea, but will check out Aldi before returning to Lakeland.

DoubleMum Wed 29-Aug-12 21:23:05

To add: ours is the alternative to xmas pud, so it gets pulled apart and pretty much gobbled up by teenagers.

krisskross Wed 29-Aug-12 21:24:13

ikea normally have them.

TwoIfBySea Wed 29-Aug-12 21:25:21

We tried to put together the IKEA one a few years ago, it ended up looking like it belonged to a war torn country.

DowagersHump Wed 29-Aug-12 21:41:44

We have a lidl one every year. It goes on the windowsill in the hall, DS eats the sweets off it after Xmas and the gingerbread goes outside for the birds.

It's fun and easy to make and is a tradition in our house smile

pumpkinsweetie Wed 29-Aug-12 21:44:35

I got mine from Lidls last year.
Im going to attempt a homemade one this year, just hope it doesn't fall apartgrin
Im going to make it look like Hanzel & Gretel sweetie housesmile

Viperidae Wed 29-Aug-12 21:48:55

We always had Ikea ones when DCs were younger but last year had our first Aldi one and it was much bigger, better and tasted just as good.

OhTheConfusion Thu 30-Aug-12 09:18:01

I got several last year from M&S. They were in the 3 for 2 christmas offer and were ideal to take to gatherings where the hosts were either pregnant or didn't drink.

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Thu 30-Aug-12 09:36:43

With the ikea ones melted sugar works much better than icing (just don't bloody touch it) they're about 4 quid each iirc. I love them!

ObiWan Fri 31-Aug-12 07:57:30

We always get the Aldi one, and stick it together with melted chocolate.

Fizzylemonade Fri 31-Aug-12 19:53:18

I am planning to make one this year, I'll be buying the one from Ikea.

Having done some extensive research, have a look at these two videos, in my defence I haven't tried them out yet but I will be. The woman is clearly very talented and sells her gingerbread houses, watch her decorate them, amazing.

She also makes cookies, incredible iced cookies, <way too much time on my hands>

royal icing recipe you can buy powdered meringue online

putting house together and decorating them

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 31-Aug-12 20:04:06

I did the ikea one last year using a tube of Wilsons ready made icing. It worked a treat and was a great xmas eve activity with ds who loves gingerbread.

Elizabeth22 Wed 19-Sep-12 19:42:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now