Talk

Advanced search

When does the poncetastic start?

(72 Posts)
WaitingForMe Tue 28-Aug-12 08:24:15

I'm asking because if we want to force bulbs (a la Sarah Raven) then we need to start doing it soon. I was too late/renovating my house in the run up to last year and swore this year I'd be doing it all.

I feel the need of poncetastic gurus to help me choose bulb containers etc

trumpton Tue 28-Aug-12 08:37:51

I force paperwhite narcissii every year and do them on pebbles in hurricane vases. The tall glass sides help to support the height of the flowers and as the bulbs sit on top of the pebbles rather than in soil it it easier not to over water them. I generally start mine on bonfire night.

WaitingForMe Tue 28-Aug-12 09:17:52

Thank you. I got my dates mixed up about planting and think the note to myself was to start looking got vases/bulbs.

Hurricane vases sound brilliant. I'll look out for some then bide my time for a couple more months.

TerraNotSoFirma Tue 28-Aug-12 16:30:20

It's usually fellationelson that starts the poncetastic thread I think. Last Sunday in September if memory serves.

BeaWheesht Tue 28-Aug-12 17:21:46

It was sept 24 or thereabouts the last 2 years.

FreeButtonBee Wed 29-Aug-12 11:12:09

Oh I have been waiting for this thread! FN! Where are you!?

Unfortunately this year I am PG with twins (due at end of Jan) and am ponce-ing my house for sale and we have zero storage so I can't do anything that takes up any room at all. So no narcissii for me.

I am also banned from buying anything that involves bringing things into the flat. sigh. Will have to be a minimalistic poncetastic christmas for me, at least until the flat sells.

But I will be making a christmas cake so need to decide on a recipe.

girlywhirly Wed 29-Aug-12 11:42:03

Yes that's right, the 24th Sept. Last year she was bemoaning the fact that she was unable to be as poncetastic as she would like because she was living somewhere hot, and the makings of such a Christmas were difficult to come by.

Starshaped Wed 29-Aug-12 15:49:21

Oooh, I'm waiting for the poncetastic thread too. Marking my place for updates!

buzzgirly Wed 29-Aug-12 17:01:17

I wa thinking poncetastic thread today. This year I want to go very poncy!

WantAnOrange Wed 29-Aug-12 20:16:04

I have checked everyday for The Thread! I am about to move house so this year I will have space and a real fireplace! I may even invite the ILs. I will however have a 2-3 month old baby.

oreocrumbs Wed 29-Aug-12 20:29:24

Poncetastic sounds right up my street....but erm what do you do?

I was on here last year and saw the threads but didn't read them. This year I have time on my hands and quite fancy a bit of poncing!

buzzgirly Wed 29-Aug-12 20:31:51

I know I was wondering the same thing ... How do we get our poncy Christmas? grin

WantAnOrange Wed 29-Aug-12 20:38:44

This is where you start:

www.mumsnet.com/christmas/top-tips-for-a-poncetastic-christmas

oreocrumbs Wed 29-Aug-12 21:04:25

Ha! Oh that's fabulous! I have a labrador - well I have 3 and a goldie so that's the Christmas walk covered, just the rest to do grin.

Count me in!

WantAnOrange Thu 30-Aug-12 07:52:30

envy of Labrador! I had one when I was a kid but we are in rented house now and DH says no anyway!

LordFlasheart Fri 31-Aug-12 17:00:59

Marking place. I started off well last year, then lost interest/motivation in December and just stuck tinsel everyhere. In fact the dining room looked a bit wanky tbh.

This year I will, WILL be making pine cone garlands to string up the stairs and making life hard for myself in lots of poncey ways. Oh yes.

Runoutofideas Fri 31-Aug-12 17:34:48

Would love to be more poncey - failed dismally last year!

Caerlaverock Fri 31-Aug-12 17:38:31

I am going ,to start crocheting my own baubles this weekend, I always leave it too late

trumpton Fri 31-Aug-12 18:44:12

I knitted Norweigan baubles on 5 needles last year . There's poncy for you ! It was like wrestling a porcupine to begin with but fascinating to work .

Caerlaverock Fri 31-Aug-12 18:45:11

Oh trumpton link!

LordFlasheart Fri 31-Aug-12 18:48:55

I might do nordic/naturalistic/pineconey/candles in storn lanterns with green moss-ey/ for a theme this year. Link pleeeease trumpton!

Caerlaverock Fri 31-Aug-12 18:49:59

Maybe I could do mossy Christmas in moss writing on the living room wall?

OlympiaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:50:03

<lurk>

TwllBach Fri 31-Aug-12 18:50:58

<Also lurking>

LordFlasheart Fri 31-Aug-12 18:53:41

snurk grin

Big mossy 'FFS' on outside wall Caerlaverock? Maybe try with large paintbrush dipped in yoghurt now- so it has time to green up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now