Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you run a tombola?

(28 Posts)
alittleteapot Thu 08-Dec-11 14:16:45

What sort of ratio of winning and non winning tickets should you have in hte bucket? How do you make sure all prizes are won???

Any ideas and advice welcome

WowOoo Thu 08-Dec-11 14:19:02

Depends how many prizes you have and how many tickets are bought.
Are the tickets pre bought or on the day ones?
If it's on the day just make sure all the ones with prizes are handed out. Do you know what I mean?

ChippingInNeedsSleep Thu 08-Dec-11 14:24:22

Well, usually Tombola's are 'wins' on 0 & 5 (if you keep it this way it will be much easier!!) So a ratio of 1 win to 4 losses. Use those cheap raffle tickets.

Without cheating you can't be sure they will all win. If you aren't beyond a little manipulation towards the end of the day just pull a handful out, check them and only put the 0's and 5's back in smile

alittleteapot Thu 08-Dec-11 14:28:22

And if you were going to do say 3 tickets for 50p would you have to up the ratio? or see how many prizes you have and guess how many people will play and try and sort it that way? all too much like o level maths to me...

cat64 Thu 08-Dec-11 14:30:59

Message withdrawn

rufusnine Thu 08-Dec-11 14:31:05

This is my forte!! Put tickets with 5's and 0's on your prizes. then put corresponding 5's and 0's in bucket along with one set of the ones ending in 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9's. so your raffle ticket book should have the other ones ending in 12346789 still in it!!therefore ratio is 1 in 5 is a winner! If near the end you have lots of prizes and need to shift them either lower the price or slyly remove some of the non winner tickets to improve the odds!!! HOWEVER BEWARE!! Prizes often go walkabout either intentionally or unintentionally so Always have a couple of prizes unnumbered under the table just in case "Number 240" has vanished into thin air. Busiest stall at every event I've done!! 2 people manning it better than 1!!! Good luck!

BigBaubledBertha Thu 08-Dec-11 14:31:33

I helped on a chocolate tombola at the school fair last week and come the end we were giving 6 goes for £1 instead of 4 which had been the norm until the last 10 minutes. As it was, the last couple of customers to have a go had already spent a fortune earier having a go and won nothing so we were very generous in handing out the tickets just to get rid of the stuff. One of them did win a lot of chocolate but she still probably paid over the odds for it!

Depends on whether you think it will be popular. The chocolate ones always are but the other kinds less so ime.

Agree that winning tickets end in 0 and 5 too so 1 in 5 chance of winning.

cat64 Thu 08-Dec-11 14:33:34

Message withdrawn

alittleteapot Thu 08-Dec-11 14:42:27

Thanks all!

So Big, when you were doing 4/6 for a £1 was the ratio 1:5 for each of those 4 or 6 goes? so high likelihood of winning?

that's the bit i can't get my head round...

alittleteapot Thu 08-Dec-11 14:51:15

and how much do you all charge?

cat64 Thu 08-Dec-11 14:58:19

Message withdrawn

alittleteapot Thu 08-Dec-11 14:59:05

thank you vry much, v helpful

alittleteapot Thu 08-Dec-11 15:00:18

thank you vry much, v helpful

if ratio 1:5 Cat then if people by 6 for a pound do they generally win something then?

ChippingInNeedsSleep Thu 08-Dec-11 15:43:24

alittleteapot - in the nicest possible way, you are over thinking this smile

Stick the 5's & 0's on the prizes (throw out the ones inbetween) - their corresponding ones in the bucket along with the other numbers.

Speak to others about what they're charging for stuff and go with that. Towards the end of the day just whip out some of the 'not 5's or 0's' and carry on smile

It doesn't matter what the odds are smile

The price depends on what the others are charging really - it's usually around 50p for one go or £1 for 3 goes, but the school christmas bazaar I went to this weekend was really really brilliant and everything was cheap - 25/30/50 p a go so all the kids could have lots of turns at things and so much more fun for all and just as much money came in I bet.

rufusnine Thu 08-Dec-11 16:36:12

I charged 50p a go or 3 for £1. I had 49 prizes on my stall (all donated!) and came out with £86 profit for the school. I think apart from the raffle this is one of the best money raisers with no outlay at our fair. Doesn't seem to matter how crap your prizes are, people love to try and win them!!! Although after reading some of these posts its given me ideas and I might try a playing card,chocolate orientated version one year with mini mars bars and random bigger choc prizes. Ps OP you will be absolutely knackered when its finished!

BigBaubledBertha Thu 08-Dec-11 16:54:00

We did the same as cat64 - box of chocs donated as the fee for a non-uniform day. The actual non-uniform day was the day of the fair though (just so cat64 doesn't worry that it is the same school smile) and we also have approx 360 children so that is a lot of chocolate.

What astonished me was the amount of money people were prepared to throw at it. If they didn't win they just kept coming back - nobody was working out the odds of winning, they couldn't care less! We must have taken hundreds so it was well worth it plus they apparently had so much chocolate that they had another table at the infants school our juniors share a site (and the fair) with. I didn't get to leave the table it was so busy so I didn't get to see it.

cat64 Thu 08-Dec-11 19:38:30

Message withdrawn

lljkk Thu 08-Dec-11 19:44:57

I worry about the odds...

if ratio 1:5 Cat then if people by 6 for a pound do they generally win something then?

Sort of; Roughly 1/3 will win NOTHING. 1/3 will get one item, and one third will get 2+ items. I loathe those odds & refuse to play at all as a result. I worked the odds out one day...

If I run a tombola, you only get one ticket, and every ticket is a winner.
I don't want a high % chance of getting nothing. It also means less wasted paper, win win all round. I nearly always play those Tombolas because I know it's not a waste of time.

I was helping at a tombola stall the other day & punters were a lot happier when we tilted the odds (removing no-win tickets) so that almost every draw was a winner. And it meant we had less to take home, too!

lilolilmanchester Thu 08-Dec-11 23:25:47

as a PTA veteran I'd like to add something which sounds sooooooooooo obvious, but believe me have seen enough chaos to risk offending you for teaching you to suck eggs.... ensure that you put the stall prizes out in numeric order to make prizes easier to find. Tombola stalls get very busy and you need to work quickly. I know, I know,why wouldn't you but one well meaning group made their stall look very pretty by arranging the prizes by height, and another year put all similar sized chocolate bars together - but as that wasn't how they'd been ticketed it was a nightmare finding anything. Still shudder at the thought.

cat64 Fri 09-Dec-11 00:14:28

Message withdrawn

ChippingInNeedsSleep Fri 09-Dec-11 00:36:46

lljkk - you are definitely in the minority - most people just want to have a bit of fun and make a donation to the cause. This weekend I won 3 Tombola prizes on different stalls (none of the items were of any use to me) so I told them to just put the number back in. They were all pleased to do so (2 of them tried to offer me different gifts - I was shock and said 'No, it's just a small donation and I'm happy to do it' - everyone's a winner. I did keep the lovely fluffy snowman I won though grin

lljkk Fri 09-Dec-11 06:13:46

I mean, if everyone were likely to win a decent prize for each ticket, how would it raise funds ?

Because most of the prizes are low value (worth lot less than £1) and donated anyway.
The tombola I worked on the other night raised close to 200 quid, even though virtually no one left without a prize.

I know, I know, I'm outrageously fussy. And really just don't see the point of any gambling game. Especially when 85% of the prizes are things I don't like or want. DS got 2 boxes of smellies from the school Tombola last week; "You're mum will like them" assured the school fair woman to his blanched face; I donated them straight to the town fair tombola the next evening.

twolittledarlings Fri 09-Dec-11 21:00:01

In our recent Christmas Fayre a couple of weeks ago, I prepared 15,000 raffle tickets ( no winners - included i.e. 0 or 5). This covered 3 stalls - sweets, bottle and hamper stall.

For the bottle and hamper stall, we put prizes in the colours ans also in numeric order. For the sweets, its no use sticking the raffle on the bag as all bags were the same. We threw all the tickets in 2 boxes for each stall (winning and losing tickets). we charge £1 for 10 tickets for all stalls. When I fold the raffle, I fold both left and right hand sides so 2 of each losing tickets number from each pack and save the 0's and 5's until preparation day i.e. making hamper day and labelling bottle day. Then on that day, we just stick a winning ticket on each prize and fold the other to mix with the losers in the box. We use to hold back the winners but one year, the teachers who always runt eh bottle stall forgot to add some of the tickets and it was a nightmare. So now, to be fair, the mix the whole lot. Near the end, we normally up the amount of tickets so say £1 for 15 tickets to ensure all prizes go.

Every year, for our summer and winter fayre at school, we normally make over £5,000 for the school so not bad going.

alittleteapot Sat 10-Dec-11 07:17:36

well, we did it, and it was all over in 20 minutes! so now I need tips on how to make tombola last longer next time and make more money!

BigBaubledBertha Sat 10-Dec-11 11:19:53

How many prizes did you have? We must have had 200 (the 'charge' for a non-uniform day as I said earlier) as we had 1000 tickets in the bucket to pick from. The tombola lasted the full 2 hours of the fair even though it was pretty full on the whole time - we had queues!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now