Talk

Advanced search

Wants to burst! BUT I need to keep this quiet..............

(18 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Mon 24-Oct-11 17:38:07

We've decided our dd's have enough stuff, we recently did out their rooms and they have both had birthdays since then so for christmas we have rolled a family holiday, xmas, my 30th birthday and our 10yr anniversary into one and booked a holiday to florida!

SO I want your ideas on how to tell dd's on christmas day and tips on how to keep quiet, how to get dd1 a passport on the quiet.

Dd's are age's 12 and 6yrs. We are going 7-8wks after christmas.

EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkkk!

I should possibly add we have never taken our dc's on a plane hmm They have been on a plane and so have we but we have never been on one together. So tips for entertaining dd's on the plane would be good too.

shhhhhhhhhhhh

purplewerepidj Mon 24-Oct-11 17:48:22

How exciting!

Can you make a dvd/internet movie on a flash drive for them about what you'll be doing? Or an itinerary with lots of pictures and put it in a nice card?

Wrt to a passport picture, invent a letter from school asking for a pic for something or other and use a booth

grin

How exciting!

There are some lovely videos on youtube. One was linked to on MN recently: the Mum packed her DD a rucksack with trip essentials.

Here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOpOhlGiRTM

Have an excitable weep on me grin.

Uglymush Mon 24-Oct-11 17:50:42

Not sure how to tell them, but that is a fab present - can I come too?? As for entertaining on planes, there maybe the in flight movies or do you have Nintendo DS's or anything similar. My friends swear by them when taking kids anywhere and you can use them from after take off to just before landing.

Make sure you have plenty of boiled sweets to hand - I was on a flight recently and this poor girl must have been 6/7 yr old and she was in lots of pain from her ears - shared my sweets - parents very grateful

RJRabbit Mon 24-Oct-11 17:52:52

You could get one a small toy aeroplane to unwrap and the other her passport (also wrapped) and have them open them at the same time. They'll be baffled and then you can explain what it's all about! Or get them both swimsuits...

RJRabbit Mon 24-Oct-11 17:54:18

Just to add, don't worry about the flight - there'll be movies to watch and the excitement will help, as well as the kids packs they hand out.

GoodAndBluts Mon 24-Oct-11 17:57:59

How exciting!

We had to get DS1s (8) passport done on the sly this year and when we went for hispassport photos we told him it was for a new bus pass as I'd lost his other one.

We go next week to DLP, they will find out on the day!

When are you going? Soon after Christmas or next year? Maybe a countdown calendar? A backpack filled with stuff they will need on the plane?

GoodAndBluts Mon 24-Oct-11 17:59:14

Just saw you're going 7-8 weeks after Christmas. Two advent calendars counting down? grin

GypsyMoth Mon 24-Oct-11 17:59:31

A mickey mouse cuddly toy with a tag round his neck asking to be taken 'home'?

GoodAndBluts Mon 24-Oct-11 17:59:33

Or new celandars with the date marked out for them?

LoveMyGirls Mon 24-Oct-11 18:15:55

I'm considering mickey helium balloons weighted down with a roll of dollars each and wrapped in a huge box.

We are also considering buying a camcorder to video their reactions and to take with us - does anyone have any reccomendations?

No sorry Ugly you can't come, they both have ds's, mp3's and dd1 has an ipod touch. Boiled sweets yes I def need those I'm a nightmare when it comes to taking off and landing, lots of sweets, ear plugs and a book to distract me, I look like a right weirdo trying to hoold the earplugs in and turn the page at the same time!

They already have disney cuddly toys from when my mum went and then when we went to DLP, I could pinch them and wrap them to help with the effect though, I'm sure they wouldn't mind grin

GoodAndBluts - have you been before? When are you going?
Two calendars counting down would be good!

Passport - do they need photos for bus passes? Dd1 did ask me for a bus pass the other day!

Pigleychez Mon 24-Oct-11 18:22:35

Yeah the bus pass thing could work!

Ohh how exciting! Love the balloon idea too smile

If your planning disney then how about getting hold of one of their promotional DVDs and wrapping that up with a mickey mouse stationary set ( notepad ect) and tell them to start planning what they want to do when they get there.

Any handheld electronic device will be good. We are on holiday in June. Our first trip abroad with the kids too and are planning on taking the ipads to keep them amused. They are also getting leapfrog electronic things for xmas that we will take with them.

GoodAndBluts Mon 24-Oct-11 18:29:53

No I've never been to DLP. We are going next Friday! Going for a meal before for a birthday and have had some cupcakes made with a Disney theme for pudding we will then tell them where they are going. Sooooooooo excited!

Yes, photo needed for bus pass, would be a good idea if she has been asking for one.

get them both a calendar, theme of their choice, and mark the date with the destination. When they open the calendars (an yawn at the boring present) tell them to have a look at February/March.

Oh I am so excited for you!

kaumana Mon 24-Oct-11 18:34:33

How exciting - Most planes have the seat back tv/movie channels on long haul so that should keep your kids happy, best to check with your airline though to be on the safe side.

LoveMyGirls Mon 24-Oct-11 18:42:59

Wow I bet you can't wait for Friday to come! How old are your dc's?

CestTout Mon 24-Oct-11 18:45:23

We had this once as children. Parents wrapped up various presents associated with the trip and we gradually guessed but didn't dare say it out loud in case we were wrong!

Maybe a couple if Disney/America related presents then both their passports wrapped up with printout of "you're going to DW on ..."

Have a fabulous time!

GoodAndBluts Mon 24-Oct-11 20:23:21

They are 8, 6 and nearly 3 smile

I like the idea of giving them their passports, obviously taking them back to put in a safe place. Could you get them before that?

babydreams Mon 24-Oct-11 20:25:22

Have you been on a website called the Dibb it has some great tips on planning a holiday to Florida and people post their holiday stories, photos and planning stories. How about a disney themed treasure hunt with the treasure being their holiday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now