Talk

Advanced search

goose.

(18 Posts)
smallwhitecat Thu 20-Oct-11 20:35:28

Message withdrawn

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 20-Oct-11 20:38:33

I cooked goose for the first time on a Christmas day (following a Delia recipe) and it was amazing.

Saying that, I'm not sure that you are going to be able to get one large enough to feed 10 people, so you may want to reconsider doing it for Christmas day and perhaps do it over the season when you don't have quite so many to feed.

fivegomadindorset Thu 20-Oct-11 20:39:31

I love goose, my mother always does it, however you would struggle to feed so many out of it.

LordOfTheFlies Thu 20-Oct-11 21:17:25

(Vegetarian here-never cooked or eaten geese. But have given some of them the evil eye at the local lake)

They don't produce alot of meat for their weight.
They do produce alot of fat that you have to keep draining off (supposed to make the best roast potatoes BTW).
I think you cook it on a rack, and some chefs put a small loaf in the cavity to soak up the fat.The thought of forcing a loaf up a gooses' bum makes me feel a bit wibbly.

What about one of those 4 bird roast things.They look really stunning, and there's no waste.

(Would children eat goose .It seems quite a dark meat)

belledechocchipcookie Thu 20-Oct-11 21:19:57

I'd like a goose, they always look huge though. I suppose you could use a turkey baster to soak up some of the fat, then put it in the fridge for a couple of weeks worth of roast potatoes. (yum)

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 20-Oct-11 21:33:45

belledechocchipcookie, Geese are huge, but a lot of that is fat. So much fat that you need to cook it on a rack and pour off the fat (a baster will take so long it interferes with the cooking process). Enough fat is produced to confit half a dozen duck legs and give you months of roast potatoes.

Hmmm. Goose Fat.grin

FreeButtonBoo Thu 20-Oct-11 21:34:41

Goose is fabulous. I cooked it last year and my DH says that there is nonpint having anything else, it's justbthe best.

Agree that its a bit carcass and less meat per kilo. You might want to speak to your butcher and see what they recommend. Might be okay if you have ham as well as goose.

I still have gooe fat for roasties, it's vv good.

smallwhitecat Thu 20-Oct-11 21:35:31

Message withdrawn

MonsterCherry Thu 20-Oct-11 21:42:42

i did goose last year and it was lovely. it was a massive one (cant remember the weight though) and easily fed 10 people.

Poopington Thu 20-Oct-11 21:46:13

I cooked goose last year and got a 12lb one thinking it would be more than enough for 5 adults. Unfortunately, it wasn't but luckily I also cooked a roast joint too so we didn't run out of food!
I got so much fat from the goose that i still had some left over in March. I drained it off 4 times during cooking and filled 3 big tuperware tubs.
Goose is super expensive compared to Turkey (i do think our local butcher was over charging. I ordered it 4 weeks before Christmas at a cost of approximately £45, but when i picked it up at lunchtime on Christmas eve i had no option but to pay the £70 he insisted it really cost!) shock
Having said this, it tastes amazing and everyone loved it so was worth it (i'll just get a bigger one next time and from somewhere else!)

belledechocchipcookie Thu 20-Oct-11 21:49:44

You can keep the fat? I thought it had to be used up quickly confused I usually get a turkey for chrismas day and a three bird roast for new years day (I buy it before christmas and freeze it). I must spend about £70+ on the 2 so it may be cheaper to get a small goose??

cairnterrier Thu 20-Oct-11 21:50:42

Goose is fantastic and does make the best roast potatoes. It is expensive though (poopington, £70 doesn't sound too far out, depending on the size of course) and if you've got 10 to feed, I'd either consider something else or make sure that you've got lots of trimmings/other courses to bulk it out a bit.

We always have goose now rather than turkey.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 20-Oct-11 21:52:12

Use it to confit duck legs. You can get them frozen for just a few quid and it keeps for weeks. The result is top nosh for little cash.

smallwhitecat Thu 20-Oct-11 21:52:37

Message withdrawn

Canella Thu 20-Oct-11 21:57:53

To help with the fat problem, my MIL (expert goose cooker) pulls a lot of the fat out from the ends even before its gone in the oven. This still leaves as much fat as on a normal bird.

It is delicious and makes turkey seem tasteless in comparison.

LordOfTheFlies Thu 20-Oct-11 22:33:52

Would any shops have geese on Christmas Eve to sell at knockdown sale price.
Not many people would want them after the 25th so you could get a bargain.
Have a back-up roast just in case.

Or is it something you have to order?

oldraver Thu 20-Oct-11 22:57:15

I used to have a Goose each year I got from local farm. You got one bag with the goose in and another with the giblets and fat they had pulled off. I used to freeze the uncooked fat for use later on in the year and the liver made the most gorgeous pate.

I still had to pour off lots of fat while it was cooking and it did taste fabulous. I have a stuffed duck now as they are not as many of us.

I have seen a few years in Waitrose vastly reduced geese, but not sure I would want to take the chance of relying on it for the main bit. The last time I bought one it was £55 (9 years ago now)

attheendoftheday Sun 23-Oct-11 18:13:33

I did goose 2 years ago - was beautiful. I did it for the first time on Christmas day too. The Delia recipe worked well.

We got enough goose fat to store for roast potatoes for a good while from it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now