Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to buy for a 4 month old?

(29 Posts)
ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 14:11:59

Personally, I think the answer is nothing. I might drape some festive wrap over one or both of my breasts. Which should anger him due to the lack of direct access.

I made the mistake of informing 4yo dd that we won't be buying her baby brother a present this year as he's too young to appreciate the gesture. She, unexpectedly, burst into tears. She offered me her piggy bank and said she would pay for it and this morning I found her wrapping up her building blocks (in toilet roll) as makeshift presents. She is absolutely beside herself at the idea of us neglecting her brother.

So, I have agreed that we will get something for him from her and wrap it up nearer the time. What do 4 months olds like in the way of toys? DD liked my keys and the cat at that age. I've wrapped up the cat before, for kicks. He didn't like it much.

Those terrifying gloworm things that emit hypnotising lullabies and glow like demons. Any good?

girlywhirly Wed 19-Oct-11 16:08:15

Oh bless at your DD.

My DS liked things that he could fiddle with, so toys with different textures, noises and bits sticking out to grab. Perhaps something with all of the above and a teething bit to chew? That can attach to buggy and carseat? The Very Hungry Caterpillar range have toys that would fit the bill.

I'm amused by the draping of the festive wrap! Unfortunately, festive wrap over my breasts would have been seen as a come-on by his dad and no particular obstacle to my DS, who would have ripped it off. He virtually tugged at my nursing bras at every feed.

Napdamnyou Wed 19-Oct-11 16:14:20

Lamaze toys were very popular from 4-8 months here, and Mr Firefly still inspires devotion.

A (festive) helium balloon attachednto his foot on a shiny ribbon delighted DS when lying on his back and kicking. He was transfixed for 20 mins at a time.

Obviously don't let him strangle himself...

NatashaBee Wed 19-Oct-11 16:19:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ToothlessHag Wed 19-Oct-11 17:11:02

what about a taggie? My DD loves sucking on the little tags, let DD choose one. YY to Lamaze and sophie giraffe.

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 17:14:23

I've still got dd's bumbo in the loft. They're ok from 3 months. Might dig that out.

Am wondering how many helium balloons to attach to him to make him float. Plus in the evening the merry adults can inhale the helium and do Gloria Gaynor impressions. Everybody's a winner.

Am off to google some of the suggestions...

nancerama Wed 19-Oct-11 17:16:01

Favourites in our house are Sophie the Giraffe, a chain of 6 plastic loops - useful for chewing and for attaching other toys to buggy, a Chicco spinning top - great for watching at tummy time, and an Asda teething monkey thing - push the heart on his tummy and his face spins around.

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 17:18:03

Ooh like the lamaze firefly. Much better than gift-wrapped breasts. Even dh would agree.

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 17:20:31

Oooh. Lamaze toys are brill. I like dee dee the dragon. For me.

suntansue Wed 19-Oct-11 17:24:44

Dd will be 4months at Xmas also and I've got her a vtech walker and a wooden activity block from mothercare will get a few flashy/noisy things and then just clothes to make it up. I think I would like to gift wrap my breasts and self gift for Xmas day so I can have some champers with me dinnergrin

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 17:28:47

This Sophie the giraffe gets about a bit is popular.

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 17:30:52

DD was 7 months for her first Christmas. I bought her a lava lamp. She still has it on every night.

nancerama Wed 19-Oct-11 17:52:08

Forgot to add that DS shall be getting a Lamaze Octotunes for Christmas. It will be hours of fun for me him.

AheadlesswomancalledHorse Wed 19-Oct-11 17:56:45

Lamaze again; Captain Calamari
Tis a pirate & therefore awesome.

Still like tinsel boobs (could also attach bells to them, babies like jingle bells)!

suntansue Wed 19-Oct-11 18:03:27

I was looking at the Lamaze tummy time, is that any good ?

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 18:12:47

Cap'n Calamari. Sounds like an excerpt from a specials board at a themed restaurant. He's pretty cool.

I'm not attaching jingle bells to my norks. The fountains of milk draw enough attention as it is.

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 18:16:16

The tummy time thing's good. Bit ££ but there are several on ebay.

suntansue Wed 19-Oct-11 18:53:12

I am looking on eBay they are about £10 on there, just won some lego city for ds1 and saved £50 it's still new in the box, can't beat eBay for bargains. grin

attheendoftheday Wed 19-Oct-11 19:00:17

My DD is 5 months now, her favorite toys are Sophie the Giraffe (as mentioned by others), a Whoozit and a Lameze firefly

suntansue Wed 19-Oct-11 19:07:24

Off to eBay to find a Sophie

ShowOfHands Wed 19-Oct-11 19:28:37

Sophie is ££. Why is she so amazing?

nancerama Wed 19-Oct-11 19:34:53

Sophie is easy for little hands to hold, and to chew on. Maybe it's the delicious rubber flavour? Who knows, but DS likes to chew on her most of all.

Lots of other teething toys can be a bit hard, and DS has been known to whack himself over the head when he gets too excited. Sophie doesn't hurt.

Downside is that she can't be attached to a buggy, so could be flung out. I don't let ours leave the house, because I'd be too tight to buy another one.

Napdamnyou Wed 19-Oct-11 20:53:17

I attach Sophie by her neck to a buggy strap using a chain of hair elastics linked together!

suntansue Wed 19-Oct-11 21:02:51

Back from eBay pricing up Sophie and they sell a Sophie buggy strap but it's just as much as the bloody giraffe is, £25 for a teether and strap is re-dick-ulous

attheendoftheday Wed 19-Oct-11 21:11:59

Not sure why the giraffe is so expensive - it looks like a dog toy and my feminist leanings are a little affronted as the giraffe appears to be wearing blusher and lipstick. DD was lucky enough to get one as a present, I wasn't impressed, but she seems to love it, and will choose it in preference to other toys. Possibly at 5 months she doesn't feel strongly about make-up on African ungulants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now