Talk

Advanced search

Best presents for an 18month old?

(17 Posts)
HollyFP Wed 19-Oct-11 10:54:32

My DD will be nearly 18 months at Christmas. I need good present ideas to suggest to friends/family please - she loves books, we have mega blocks already, and she has recently taken an interest in her cousin's toy cars and dumper truck!
I'd like to get her creative toys, educational but not where I need to be too involved.
Ta

HollyFP Wed 19-Oct-11 10:55:46

Oh I thought of getting that Aquadoodle thing - any good?! Suitable for this age?

ragged Wed 19-Oct-11 10:57:13

I always think shape sorters, peg board puzzles, etc.

gushofbloodtothefloor Wed 19-Oct-11 11:01:42

Aquadoodle is great for that age (though my son spends most of his time sucking water out of the pens hmm)

No problem with getting cars/trucks for girls - were always on the top of my DDs list!

They start to get into the simple puzzles at about that age - little 2 piece ones or the peg board type.

Anything music making. DS is getting a small electronic keyboard (ELC do a very popular one, think it is on sale too)

Ride on toys, like wheely bugs or Fropper

HollyFP Wed 19-Oct-11 11:07:14

Oh yes gush I thought of a xylophone as she loves banging hmm so it might as well sound nice grin

HollyFP Wed 19-Oct-11 11:09:40

We have something similar to the Fropper but no-one can make it work blush DD just falls off the end or stands and walks with it. Maybe she's still too young.

Kingsroadie Wed 19-Oct-11 12:25:06

Aquadoodle great idea (my daughter also sucks water out of the pen - she is 22 months), the rainbow one particularly. And also the Tomy Colour Doodle - she LOVES it. And it makes no mess - bonus!

girlywhirly Wed 19-Oct-11 14:05:58

An activity centre for the bath, with functions like scoop, water wheel, tap, squirter etc. They like filling and emptying at that age.

Pigleychez Wed 19-Oct-11 14:15:58

My DD will be 19 mths at xmas.

She has tons of ELC Happyland stuff coming as her main present. Other presents include wooden building bricks (different shapes/sizes), Peppa pig related stuff,
Leapfrog Counting phone.
Currently debating a trolley and some fake food ( just thinking where it would live though!)

She's also into trains and loves pushing a dolly about in her little umbrella fold buggy.
Her Scuttle bug is also a favourite.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Wed 19-Oct-11 17:07:48

Best present I ever got my two was the playschool 'poppin park' drop balls in and the whizz round and shoot out the top, great for entertaining and keeping them active and also they have to concentrate to put the balls in and set it going, my two got it at 10 and 26mnths and its still hugely popular at 3 + 4yrs!

Aqua draws are fab but my two also suck the water out hmm

Shape sorter, peg puzzle, that's not my... Books, stacking cups,

latrucha Wed 19-Oct-11 20:03:21

Those popper things are great.

I can recommend Wow toys. Great quality, no batteries and very durable.

Got camper van for DD at that age. DS now loves it. He's geetting one for Xmas too.

Second the buggy too.

tassisssss Wed 19-Oct-11 20:25:11

scuttlebug or wheelybug?

indoor trampoline?

Happyland

Dolly and first pram?

lilyj2010 Thu 20-Oct-11 20:22:17

hi, my dd will be 17 months xmas eve. She loves her weebles treehouse we got her for her birthday so got her few happyland sets from santa, she also gettin a small kitchen and vegetable to chop up (elc), piles of books, mrs potato head silly suitcase, baby alive, crayola color wonders, crayons, etc. i also got her a singing minnie mouse and few in the night garden toys. Trying to think now of what else to get her tho. my mum got her molly the kitten (asda £15), dance star mickey and disney dvds (bogof hmv). so far my dps mum has got her a hetty hoover as she is obsessed with my henry. hope this helps

HollyFP Fri 21-Oct-11 09:45:47

Ooh loving the Mrs Potato Head suitcase! grin

PartialToACupOfMilo Fri 21-Oct-11 23:30:59

I know it's a bit of a downer but I just wanted to warn against the cut up vegetables at that age. I bought a set from amazon (look just like the elc set) as my dd (22 months) is obsessed with cutting up, play doh etc. Didn't make it to Christmas and I gave it to her after work one evening this week blush

Anyway she was happily chop chopping away on the coffee table and I was half dozing on the sofa when she decided to put a section of the carrot into her mouth and it got stuck. It was horrible, I was instantly wide awake and hooked it out with my little finger. It wasn't fast to do and I was absolutely petrified, so was she - it was just behind her teeth and pretty much the same size as her mouth so she couldn't do anything to help getting it out sad She didn't want to play with it anymore afterwards and there was no battle when I put it away - she can have it back when she's a bit older.

My set says for 3+ and she isn't, but I thought she'd be OK as she doesn't put random stuff in her mouth and hasn't for ages, but I guess if it's actually shaped like food it's quite tempting to do just that.

hophophippidtyhop Sun 23-Oct-11 19:21:11

my dd loves the happyland london bus,. Also a plastic teaset and this animal shape sorter

fifitrixibell Sun 23-Oct-11 22:19:04

I can 2nd Wow vehicles - my DS has a few and loves them. DM is getting him the rescue helicopter for Christmas.

How about a simple rail track set that isn't too hard to put together.

Also wooden blocks - we have some Haba ones which are great - all my DCs love building castles etc with them and DD1 is 8 and still plays with them.

Scuttlebugs are great too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now