Talk

Advanced search

What are you buying your 5 year old boy?

(56 Posts)
ceebeegeebies Tue 18-Oct-11 19:41:00

Can't think what to get him as his 'main' present this year so looking for ideas smile

He would go nuts for as DS but me and DH have decided we don't want him to have one just yet...but am stuck for other ideas!

Have looked at the Imaginext sets but he doesn't really do role-play/imaginative play so not sure he would really enjoy it (DS2 otoh would adore them!) He gets bored with lego once DH has built whatever it was meant to be.

Heavensmells Tue 18-Oct-11 19:47:25

What about one of those vtech tablets (I think that's the name, can't do link as on iPhone but I know toysrus sell them)
My 5yo was looking at them at the weekend and now really wants one. They look quite educational and a little mire hardwearing than a DS.

Wallace Tue 18-Oct-11 19:48:34

Ds2 got a new bike for his birthday. Not sure yet about Christmas.

AmazingBouncingFerret Tue 18-Oct-11 19:50:33

What about the leapfrog explorer?

I'm getting DS this He's yammered on about it for about 2 years so I predict much excitement when he sees it!

NickNacks Tue 18-Oct-11 19:50:52

As above - getting DS2 a bike.

BadRoly Tue 18-Oct-11 19:53:03

Dd2 will be getting a DS for her 5th birthday next month (but she has 2 older siblings - no way dd1 would have gad one at 5). She will probably getting some more playmobil for Christmas.

JKSLtd Tue 18-Oct-11 19:54:05

Not really sure yet so watching for ideas.

Feel the same about a DS here - though i know some of his friends are getting one.

So far thinking:
- castle, but haven't decided which one + figures
- Power rangers figures (he has 2 handmedown ones and loves them)
- Transformer vehicles (he has one he got for a present)
- anything Ben 10

Am trying to relax my grip on the 'nice' and tasteful and allowing him to amass plastic tat this year, lol! though the castle should still be a nice one.

trixymalixy Tue 18-Oct-11 19:55:09

Imaginext spaceship and playmobil pirate ship.

ceebeegeebies Tue 18-Oct-11 20:18:07

Thanks for the ideas so far smile

I do wonder if I am being a bit PFB about the DS - he plays for ages on the Wii and the laptop but me and DH just think the DS is a bit too much. However, I have a friend who is buying her 5 year old DD one which is fine but then said that she was going to have to buy her 2 year old one as he would get jealous confused

Anyway, he loves Transformers and Ben 10 but we have so much plastic tat figures in the house that I am loathe to buy anymore and they are not really a main present are they?

JKSLtd Tue 18-Oct-11 20:22:51

No not so much a main present. if i can decide on the right castle and i think he will enjoy it that will be his main present. if not, he won't really get one main thing, just a collection of bits.

the advantage of any figures is that they 'merge' into the 'people box' and don't add to the household clutter so much - in theory anyway!

SmallShips Tue 18-Oct-11 20:37:09

Scooter. That's as far as I've got.

The girls are so easy to buy for! DS on the other hand... <sigh>

MurderBloodstabsandgore Tue 18-Oct-11 20:39:51

Mine does like the small world type stuff, so probably Batman imaginext.

I have a (nintendo) DS. It's not his, it is mine. That works well as he's not on it all the time but I can keep him quiet with it out and about when I need to smile

ceebeegeebies Tue 18-Oct-11 20:46:07

Murder I got an Imaginext catalogue the other day and he looked through it and said he wanted the Batman cave but we bought him the Toy Story rubbish tip one for his birthday last year and he has probably played with it twice - imaginative play is just not his 'thing'

MurderBloodstabsandgore Tue 18-Oct-11 20:51:21

what does he like then? something outdoorsy? trampoline?

earlyriser Tue 18-Oct-11 20:53:06

Think we will get ds (4) roller skates after his sister got a pair for her birthday and he has worn them more than her!

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Tue 18-Oct-11 20:58:01

Mega Blocks need for speed cars. Lego, a couple of board games. Don't buy a large gift, more lots of smaller bits.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Tue 18-Oct-11 21:30:57

Ds couldn't choose a 'main present' he'll be 4.5 at christmas but already full time school sad so desperate to be 5 lol. He's having, 2 beyblades and an arena. 2 small nerf nstrike xi guns, a kiddiminiz

sam84uk Tue 18-Oct-11 21:53:13

Imaginext Batcave (actually this is for his birthday next month), Lego minifigures or small sets with the minifigures (small cars, toy story car etc) he's more interested in the figures and changing/swapping their bits than the actual building of lego, transformers trackset (like hot wheels) - bit worried this will be one of those things that takes too much setting up though and won't get used that much (bought it on offer at a silly low price), moshlings (DD who's 6 is fascinated by these so I think it's rubbed off on DS a bit).

Does he like cars? Maybe a garage and road mat type thing?

My little boy has broken 2 DSs now by dropping them! The 2nd one was bought secondhand from an attic sale for £12 (it was pink lol) and lasted about 2 weeks. He did love it though, it may sound a bit stingy but I'm considering getting it fixed as part of his birthday present as DD is getting a secondhand Dsi for Xmas.

Zeeky Wed 19-Oct-11 06:49:39

Jks we got DS1 a castle for his 4th birthday which he & DS2 (18mths) both love! It is the Melissa & Doug one with a hinged side so the whole thing opens up. It cones fully constructed & is very robust - would definitely reccommend.

Was thinking of getting one of those Tag reader thingies for DS1 for Christmas. He has just started in Reception class.

Abgirl Wed 19-Oct-11 08:11:48

DS1 is 6 and DS2 is 4 - they're getting a big trampoline for Christmas. DS1 has asked for a DS but I'm not very keen - we may get him one for his birthday in April if he still wants one then.

I'd really recommend the ELC castle of doom, or whatever it's called these days. We bought it for DS1 when he was nearly 4 for christmas and it still gets played with every day. I think it's half price during half term too.

Carpediem2007 Wed 19-Oct-11 23:17:43

DS (4) is getting a readybed for sleepovers and holidays, a dumptruck for the sand pit (though he has loads of diggers already), a leap pad (his main present) and some toy tools as he is desperate to use mine (drill or saw, I do most DIY at home). H wants a cleaning trolley but I don't want yet another large piece of plastic in the house.

Carpediem2007 Wed 19-Oct-11 23:23:35

I forgot to say that he got a batcave for his birthday but never plays with it nor with the medieval castle.
He is very busy with Duplo, the medium size legos, making huge towers on top of the duplo truck etc which means that we are getting a lie in on Sundays while he plays with this in his bedroom, hurray!
He had a bicycle for his birthday and loves this. I am ignoring his request for roller blades as he is cycling a lot and I'd rather he uses his bicycle. I think that his friends tend to use either their scooter or their bicycle a lot but not much point having both as they favour one and let the other gather dust. DS is a cyclist, not a scooter fan.

feedtheghoul Wed 19-Oct-11 23:24:15

Ds is 5 at the moment but will be 6 by Xmas. He got a ds last year and has a lot of playmobil and lego already.

He has asked for a scalextric and (more) Hex bugs along with a couple of slightly leftfield choices of a zooble (he has specified just the one!) and a sylvanian families dog family. Just a little odd as he has nothing to go with them and says he wants just those!

simpson Wed 19-Oct-11 23:27:20

DS is 6 and I have already got his Xmas pressies blush

I have got him a light to fit onto his bunk bed, some cheap roller blades from argos and a leappad.

simpson Wed 19-Oct-11 23:32:03

JKS - DS is obsessed with power rangers and he has the sumuri ones I think there are 6, (actually there is one colour he does not have, maybe Santa can get it wink) from tescos (he got them for his birthday) and they are played with every day and even go to bed with him sometimes grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now