Talk

Advanced search

Scooter help!

(14 Posts)
tummytickler Mon 17-Oct-11 11:49:27

I want to get ds a scooter for Christmas. They obvious choice is a mini micro scooter thingy, but they are so expensive, so I was hoping you wonderful lot might know of a decent, but cheaper scooter for a 4 year old! I looked on ebay, but they were still going for plenty of money, even second hand.
Any other ideas? Will the scooters that look the same, but are £30 odd cheaper, be crap and fall to bits after 2 minutes?

ParkerRocks Mon 17-Oct-11 12:03:00

Personally, from experience, the micro scooters are 100% the way to go! My son had 3 scooters before and they all broke within 6 months. He's now had his micro scooter well over a year and it's brilliant! How big is your 4 yr old? I'd be tempted to buy the maxi micro, and use it on the lowest setting unless your LO is small. You'll get years of use from it! My friend has just done this for her 4 yr old and he's managing perfectly with it!

tummytickler Mon 17-Oct-11 12:14:53

Blimey - the maxi is £80/90 !!!! I would love to get him one of these, but I really don't think I can afford it. My dd has had 2 scooters stolen in the last couple of years (luckily cheapo ones), so I am really reluctant to spend that on a scooter, I would be beyond gutted if that got pinched!

AitchTwoOh Mon 17-Oct-11 12:16:13

i'd be more inclined to get a micro mini second hand, i think.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Mon 17-Oct-11 20:39:03

My two have mini micros and they are amazingly tough, they've had two years of hard use and it doesn't show, and they will have years more to go.

Elc do a 'twist and roll' which is around £30, I got it for my brother £19.99 in the sale, it is identical to mini micros but is cheaper looking plastic and foam handles, works the same, my ds prefered it as its red hmm I'm sure argos do it now in blue

cazzybabs Mon 17-Oct-11 20:41:58

Sorry but we have replaced dd's old scooter with a new micro one!

bumpybecky Mon 17-Oct-11 20:59:19

I've been looking on eBay and have found this.. scooter

Any scooter experts tell me if it's genuine? looks ok to me, but I know very little.....

maclover135 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:01:25

I'd also recommend a mini micro - we bought DS's after a number of friends who had gone for the cheaper option first replaced their broken ones with micros. A second hand micro will still be miles better value for money than a brand new but less robust one.

tummytickler Mon 17-Oct-11 21:38:18

bumpybecky I saw those scooter, but wondered if they were cheap rubbish that would fall to bits.
So I just bought one second hand for £40! That seems to be the cheapest (including postage) on ebay for a while. Hopefully he will get a good year out of it, and then I will maybe get him a new one, I don't know - now I feel guilty because the other dc don't have one!

plipplops Tue 18-Oct-11 10:44:01

We've got the mini micros I'm afraid, but best things we ever bought. I'm sure you could sell it on afterwards to recoup some of the money? We bought a different one for our niece some time ago (the cosmic light one), and it's rubbish (she's got a mini micro now). We live in the country so crime isn't really a problem (left DD1s in a car park last week and it was still there the next day), but I have let them scrawl write their names on them in permanent marker, so they can identify them and also they're less tempting for anyone to take.

tummytickler Tue 18-Oct-11 10:59:31

We live in a really quiet, country town, so i was a bit surprised to have it nicked!
I am now worried he will be too big for it. He is only just 4 (in August), and not a particularly big 4 year old! He will get a good year out of it, surely?
They are obviously the way to go, so we will see!

plipplops Tue 18-Oct-11 11:33:27

DD1 was 4 in June but is still pretty small (about 98cm I think). I think she'll still be on hers a good couple of years, so yes I'm sure he'll your money's worth!. It's one of the very few things of theirs that we actually spent a decent amount on and they really are worth every penny if you can stomach spending it. Good luck!

smackapacca Tue 18-Oct-11 19:51:54

Micro scooters only! DD is now 'handing' hers down to DS, and we've bought her the next one up.

Anything else is a false economy <bitter experience emoticon>

gegs73 Tue 18-Oct-11 19:59:11

Micro scooters too, though if you could stretch you would get more years out of the maxi scooter. They are more hardwearing than the micro (thicker plastic) and last until they are about 9 or so I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now