Talk

Advanced search

Making my own Christmas cake this year!!

(5 Posts)
Nat38 Sun 16-Oct-11 17:24:46

I need advice please!!
I`m having a go at making my own christmas cake this year!! Hahahaha. I`m following the Delia Smith recipe & have got a couple of queries. Query number 1-does it matter if I don`t put the grated zest of a lemon & orange in it, will it make a huge dirrerence to the taste at all if I missed out these 2 ingredients?? Query number 2-does it matter if I use a 23cm round tin instead of a 20cm round tin as Delia says???
I`ve got my fruit soaking in brandy already, going to make cake tomorrow!! Also thought I could "feed" the cake after its baked & cooled with the rest of the miniture of brandy that I bough & also with some whiskey aswell!! Will this work ok??
Please help & wish me lots of luck with my first attempt of any sort of fruit cake-I`m going to need all the luck you can send me!!

Nat38 Sun 16-Oct-11 19:21:13

Please-is any one there to offer me advice & wish me lots of luck???!!! Or is this topic so common that you cba???? Hoping to hear something!!!

I didn't want you to be alone with your wondering so thought I'd tell you what I do with Christmas cake. Don't worry about the zest, I've never put any in when the recipe called for it and all seemed fine. I made the Delia cake for years then found the Mary Berry one which seems easier, if that helps.

As for the size of the tin, the cake will just be a bit flatter rather than deep. Just check the cooking time - stick the skewer, knife, fork whatever you are using to check its cooked at least half hour before expected finishing time. I seem to remember the Delia one always took longer than she said, but that might have been my oven.

When its cooked and cooled, just stick a skewer or fork randomly over the surface of the cake at regular intervals (perhaps weekly, depending how alcoholic you want it) and pour over a tablespoon of booze.

Christmas cake isn't as difficult as you think - you can do it!

hellhasnofury Sun 16-Oct-11 19:38:30

It will be fine with no zest in. You could stick in a tablespoon of marmalade if you have any instead of the zest. The size of tin will make a difference so keep an eye on the cooking time (it might need less time). You can feed it with whiskey, brandy, sherry etc.

Nat38 Sun 16-Oct-11 19:55:59

Oooohhhh, thanks a lot!! I`ll finish the brandy off then from the minature that I bought & then top up with Famous Grouse whiskey that DH likes!! Me-I hate fruit cake!! But the 2 people that normally bake it for DH, one has sadly passed away about 4/6 weeks ago & the other one is sadly too old & arthritic!! So I thought that I could give it a go-I love baking, love the smell that makes my house seem really homely!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now