Talk

Advanced search

aibu to have started xmas shopping?

(40 Posts)
altinkum Sun 16-Oct-11 15:56:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MegBusset Sun 16-Oct-11 15:57:45

Yanbu, I'm a bit late starting this year but normally got it all sorted by November, going to the shops in the six weeks before Xmas is my idea of hell!

No, yab sensible. I've usually got mine all done by this time of year. Have too many late-in-the-year birthdays to buy for to leave it all till the last minute.

t0lk13n Sun 16-Oct-11 15:58:18

I did some in August...my dad died and just after the funeral I went to Oxford overnight for a break and my husband and I went to Bicester and I got few bits and pieces there. I find it easier to buy items when I see them and not when others think it is a suitable time to start! So to that YANBU!

troisgarcons Sun 16-Oct-11 15:59:56

Some people will be anal enough to have finished it already...And already for christmas 2012, 13 and 14 ....

TBH, its only 2 paydays until Christmas, I would assume most people are picking up bits and bobs.

ScaredBear Sun 16-Oct-11 15:59:58

trixymalixy Sun 16-Oct-11 16:00:49

I started in August. Got loads half price in the Boots sale

LifeIsButtercream Sun 16-Oct-11 16:01:06

YANBU - as long as I'm not BU for having nearly finished it!

Good financial strategising - AND - we get to put our feet up with a mince pie and something festive on the telly while everyone else runs around the shops madly in the final run up!

altinkum Sun 16-Oct-11 16:01:34

hellokittyruleswastink Sun 16-Oct-11 16:02:27

i am buying my girls xmas pressies middle of next month dont like to get any earlier encase i change my mind

jester68 Sun 16-Oct-11 16:03:01

No not unreasonable at all.

I have already completed the main shop for my 2 daughters. Have got all I wanted/eldest has asked for, most in the sales so have saved a lot of money.

Have also started/nearly finished my 6 nieces/nephews.

I prefer to buy when I can see good offers. Have left it till late before and it was a nightmare as deliveries were delayed, and some stuff I was after was out of stock.

So now aim to have all presents for everyone out the way by mid November, then only have food/drink to worry about getting

Birdsgottafly Sun 16-Oct-11 16:03:17

I got my Christmas chocolates in weeks ago. I bought the rest of my wrapping paper/bows on the way home from work on Friday. I am getting my cards next week, whilst the shops are empty.

I don't understand why everyone is stressed out every December, running round like a headless chicken, Christmas falls on the same date every year, you more or less know who you have to buy for, if you have the money, why not buy the stuff you need as soon as possible?

DramaInPyjamas Sun 16-Oct-11 16:03:24

Got most of the presents done..
Have started to buy in some of the food as well.. Can't stand shopping in December.

altinkum Sun 16-Oct-11 16:03:28

altinkum Sun 16-Oct-11 16:08:01

supergreenuk Sun 16-Oct-11 16:11:03

1. Start early to spread the cost.
2. You have plenty of time to search for the bargain price for the chosen item.
3. Reduces stress nearer the time.
4. Kids popular toys are always out of stock on the lead up.
5. Isn't there enough to do in December as it is e.g food shopping, parties, relaxing and staying out of the cold.

PassTheTwiglets Sun 16-Oct-11 16:12:04

I've nearly finished too. People get cross and don't like it when you tell them for some reason (maybe it's like a reminder to them that they still have to do theirs?) I do mine early for several reasons:

1. Spreads the cost
2. Not such a panic at the last minute
3. Shops not crowded yet but will be in December
4. Can enjoy run up to Xmas doing things I like (eg. Xmas baking)
5. Have time to do lots of Xmassy crafts & activities with kids instead of saying "sorry but Mummy has to go shopping".

It's a no-brainer, innit?

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Sun 16-Oct-11 16:13:33

YANBU.

Jawbreaker Sun 16-Oct-11 16:15:27

YANBU

I have usually finished most of my shopping (online) by end of October and then can pop out stress-free in the few days leading up to Christmas and buy any last little bits that take my fancy. So much more relaxing than faffing around in toy shops in December!

reelingintheyears Sun 16-Oct-11 16:18:11

My Mum gets all her wrapping paper and cards in the January sales then puts them away till December!

She always got bits and pieces throughout the year.

saffron Sun 16-Oct-11 16:22:36

There is a box in our bedroom which is my xmas box. It is nearly full, all of our family are brought for and wrapped my cards are written and the kids stocking fillers are nearly finished. DH works nights and I xmas shop online grin

I think you have to spread the cost, who suddenly has loads of cash to splash one month of the year? I have all of DDs done, and DH's so just family now. YANBU.

t0lk13n Sun 16-Oct-11 16:23:29

Thanks...Dad liked Christmas and his birthday was Boxing Day so it will be a very different Christmas this year. However I like Christmas and will celebrate it just a little differently. smile

twinklytroll Sun 16-Oct-11 16:24:23

I don't think yabu but I don't get it. I pop out on 23rd December, but something for dd, job done within an hour including stopping for a coffee.

twinklytroll Sun 16-Oct-11 16:24:54

I have started my Christmas cooking though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now