Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

which christmas cake recipe?

(7 Posts)
loudee Fri 14-Oct-11 19:26:46

I've seen Nigella's and Delia's, which is better? Or any other suggestions for a baking novice please smile

LordOfTheFlies Sun 16-Oct-11 11:12:46

I'm not a fan of Nigella TBH (just like I can't stand Anthony Worrell Thompson so I couldn't eat anything he cooked)

I have an old Delia Smith book and sort of follow her recipe:

I use all sultanas, not currants/raisens (too dark)
soft brown sugar not dark
more cherries
whole chopped almond and brazil nuts
Amaretto not brandy/sherry.

I think as long as you flollow the flour/eggs/butter/sugar measurements you can customise it a bit .

Don't forget: taste it before it goes in (quality control grin )

All ovens vary so keep a close check the last half hour

Good luck.! And don't forget to feed it.

ThingsThatGoFlumpInTheNight Sun 16-Oct-11 21:32:40

I've always used Delia's traditional Christmas cake recipe. She's a bit tight on the brandy though, I think it says two tablespoons to soak the fruit in overnight whereas I just glug it in grin

TreacleChops Sun 16-Oct-11 21:50:26

i used delia's this year, last year i used good housekeeping - and up to the feeding stage now and i prefare the good housekeeping one so far as the delia one seems a lot dryer!

HappyAsIAm Mon 17-Oct-11 09:43:07

My mum always does Delia's and her cake is fabulous.

I did Sarah Raven last year, and it was cooked an hour before she said it would be, and wasn't as nice as the Delia recipe.

Delia forever. Especially at Christmas.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Mon 17-Oct-11 09:47:29

Delia is good, although as someone else said stingy with the brandy. Last year I did nigella's boiled cake with cocoa in it - it was lovely, very rich, but I think I will be going back to Delia this year.

loudee Mon 17-Oct-11 14:34:11

thanks everyone, it's so hard to know where to start when you haven't got a clue what you're doing grin

i shall look up the other recipes you've mentioned and then get to the supermarket. i had no idea you could start this far in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now