Talk

Advanced search

Delia's Christmas cake help

(12 Posts)
banjaxed Fri 14-Oct-11 11:53:35

So, I've got my fruit stewing in brandy, I've got my ingredients, but I've just realised my cake tin is 9" not 8" as specified. I am a baking novice. Will it make a blind bit of difference or do I up my ingredients, and if so which ones? Also, what is she on about with the brown paper around the outside of the tin? Is that just a rim higher than the tin on which to rest the paper lid?
Sorry for the numpty questions.

mmmmmchocolate Fri 14-Oct-11 12:09:32

I'd say it's fine in a slightly bigger tin, I don't think I had the right size last year to be honest. But because the mixture won't be as deep then check it earlier than the recipe says as it may cook quicker.

Re. Greaseproof paper- butter he tin and line it as you would but make the paper higher than the tin. THEN you wrap a double thickness of Greaseproof around the outside of the tin and secure it with string. It stops the outside burning.

Does that make sense?

mmmmmchocolate Fri 14-Oct-11 12:11:10

Also the paper lid actually sits on top of the cake mixture with a little hole in the centre. Hth

banjaxed Fri 14-Oct-11 12:35:46

Ok, so my ideas on lining a tin were all wrong. I thought you just put gp paper on the base of the tin and then clipped on the springform bit. So I need to put paper around the inside of the sides too then? And then the outside. Got it. I think.

Kingsroadie Fri 14-Oct-11 12:57:11

I think tin size will make no difference although as mmmmmchocolate said, perhaps just watch the cooking time a bit as it will be shallower. I baked mine about a week ago and didn't bother doing the sides (fully lined the tin and left quite a lot over the top so folded it down around the outside and used the hat on the top. It seems fine - not burnt. BTW you might also want to adjust the Delia cooking time for a fan oven. I baked it for just 4 hours rather than the 4 1/2 or 4 3/4 hr she suggests (and then says can be another half an hour on top of that). Just checked it with a skewer...

banjaxed Fri 14-Oct-11 14:52:02

Thanks all. It's all ready for the ovensmile

Now how do I stop myself from eating it?wink

banjaxed Fri 14-Oct-11 15:15:17

Sugar. Used the wrong stuff. I knew it was going too well! Bought golden granulated for something else and used it intstead of soft brown. Fart.

Kingsroadie Fri 14-Oct-11 16:25:10

Again, I think it will be okay... smile

OhYouBadBadGhostie Fri 14-Oct-11 16:31:52

It will be fine. Its a very forgiving recipe smile (and by the time it has half a bottle of brandy in it it will be even better)

banjaxed Fri 14-Oct-11 21:50:57

Lovely. All cooked and cooling away. I don't have a tin big enough for it so it will have to survive in tin foil. Do you feed it from the base or from the top? I've heard an egg cup full weekly?

mmmmmchocolate Sat 15-Oct-11 08:10:48

Wrap in Greaseproof and then in foil. I kept mine in the garage last year, nice and cold.

To feed it skewer holes into the cake and then once a week (I used to do it on a Sunday) pour the brandy over- an egg cup amount is fine. Then wrap it up keeping the cake the same way up so that the brandy soaks down throughout the week. The following week open it up and turn the cake over and pour the brandy on that side. By Xmas it will be lovely and moist!

I really need to get my Xmas cake made....

banjaxed Mon 17-Oct-11 15:54:03

Cheers wine It always pays to ask the experts smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now