Talk

Advanced search

Do you have new clothes for Christmas day ??

(20 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Wed 12-Oct-11 22:01:08

I always did as a child. It was part of my Christmas present and part of the Christmas morning "routine". I used to go off upstairs to get dressed after opening my presents and use all my new make up, toiletries etc and put on a new outfit. I've mentioned getting a new outfit each for the dc's and he thinks I'm slightly bonkers hmm

So, am I ??

(and, as I don't care whether I am or not, has anyone seen any nice outfits/dresses for girls aged 4 and 8 and a boy aged 2 wink)

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 12-Oct-11 22:01:43

he being DH. Sorry !

mrsm123 Wed 12-Oct-11 22:04:19

i always grew up like that too but we only do it with our 3 if its needed. often theyve just had a few nice winter items/party dreses/shirts etc anyway so i wouldnt waste my money just for the sake of it. its far more important that everyone is happy, not dressed head to toe in brand new stuff.

but hey, if youve got plenty of cash, absolutely go for it.

mrsm123 Wed 12-Oct-11 22:06:06

ps i usually just get them stuff out of next or m&s

Hassled Wed 12-Oct-11 22:07:43

My DCs never have. If I do, it's because clothes are my Christmas present from DH (he's either spot on, or way off the mark. Never in the middle). But it's a nice tradition to have.

Marne Wed 12-Oct-11 22:07:52

I always buy my dd's a new outfit for christmas day and something for myself (dh just dresses how he always dresses). This year we have no one coming over christmas day (for the first time sinse the dd's were born) but i shall still be dressing them and me in new clothes.

MercyDulbottle Wed 12-Oct-11 22:09:20

of course

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.149964/walk.yah.UKFA~U055

wink

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 12-Oct-11 22:09:50

Thanks mrsm. Its probably something I'd buy them anyway but including it in the presents just gives them more to open without really costing me any more iyswim ? It won't be party clothes - just slightly smarter than normal clothes so they'll get plenty of wear out of them

MercyDulbottle Wed 12-Oct-11 22:09:59

that is

www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.149964/walk.yah.UKFA~U055

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 12-Oct-11 22:10:44

I don't, but I make sure that DS does. For me it's all part and parcel of Christmas: New PJs on Christmas Eve and new clothes on Christmas day. But only for DS as I can't afford it for myself.

dyzzidi Wed 12-Oct-11 22:13:54

I always get dd a new outfit and tbh most of the people i know dress their children in new clothes. New pjs christmas eve too.

I don't normally bother for myself though!

ASuitableGirl Wed 12-Oct-11 22:14:20

I always did when I was younger. DD generally has a Christmas season type dress. Used to be able to put DS in a nice shirt and trousers but don't think he would let me now sad

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 12-Oct-11 22:15:09

grin Mercy - I shall be ordering one of those for myself wink

ASuitableGirl Wed 12-Oct-11 22:15:10

Whatever I like to dress up a bit on Christmas day smile

WhatWouldLeoDo Wed 12-Oct-11 22:19:13

We always had something new-ish to wear on Christmas Day growing up - we might have got it before Christmas though to wear to a Christmas party or something at school though.

I definitely dress up a bit on Christmas Day - it's not always something new these days though! DS normally has something new or something that's a bit smarter that he hasn't actually worn much.

Squitch Thu 13-Oct-11 07:52:31

I never had anything new when I was young, but I always get DD a new dress for Christmas day. We usually 'dress up' but i tend to wear something nice that I already have (as said nice thing has usually only been worn about three times - in this years case once - as I never go out)

girlywhirly Thu 13-Oct-11 07:56:20

I don't dress up, I would make more of an effort if we had guests or were going to someone elses. If I had a new clothing item in my presents I would wear it though, same with jewellery.

Nope, never had new clothes for Christmas Day as a child and have never done it for DCs either. I have heard of it as an Easter tradition though, but still have never done that either.

I have given DCs clothes as presents sometimes, but not in the expectation that they wear them on Christmas Day itself.

Each to his own though. smile

ThePumpkinKing Thu 13-Oct-11 08:30:56

We always had new clothes as children, but they were more of a novelty as we typically only had uniforms, a Sunday best outfit, and a few other bits and pieces.

My children have more clothes than they know what to do with grin.

Clothes just don't have the same wow factor for them, but I do still dress them up while I have the chance.

milk Thu 13-Oct-11 21:03:25

Clothes?!? I spend the day in PJs :D My mum hates it though :P

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now