Talk

Advanced search

Present help for nearly 7 year old DS1?

(11 Posts)
ihearttc Wed 12-Oct-11 21:31:25

Am completely stuck for idea's for DS1 this year so after a bit of help. He's a bit of a challenge bless him as he doesn't really like typical 7 year old boy toys -has no interest in Ben 10,Star Wars,Bakugan etc.

He loves trains and has a very basic hornby train set which we could extend but have a nearly 1 year old as well so it's a bit of a nightmare where to put it. He has loads of playmobil which we've got him over the last few years and which he really plays with but am reluctant to get him anymore. He's got a DS but doesn't really play with it much and we've got a wii and tbh he's not really bothered about that either. We've got loads of lego (it was actually DH's which mil kept but) but he gets really frustrated with it!

Stocking fillers are fine...horrible history books,top trumps and some random extreme train dvd which he's been eyeing up for months but am completely stumped for his actual main pressie.

Only thing I did think of was a little telescope...it's the sort of thing he'd love but have no idea how to find a decent one that doesn't cost a fortune.

Any other suggestions? It's his birthday just after christmas as well but we think we're doing a special outing like we did last year...took him to see Lion King so wanted to do an actual present for christmas!

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Wed 12-Oct-11 21:44:10

Toys r us is a good place for child friendly telescope,

Another idea I got my cousin who was 8 a microscope and slide kit for around £20 it was good, he loved making his own slides up too

ja9 Wed 12-Oct-11 21:47:29

Also john lewis good for a telescope.... Will see if i can find link...

ja9 Wed 12-Oct-11 21:52:58

here. Im actually wondering if the one i spotted in store was the £45 here that has poor reviews... Sorry! Perhaps the others might be of interest to you?!

ihearttc Thu 13-Oct-11 09:45:28

Oh a microscope might work as well never thought of that thank you!

There's one on John Lewis for £40 which looks quite good so will perhaps order that one. He mentioned last night that he'd quite like a scalaletrix so might have a look for one of those as well and grandparents could get the telescope.

dilbertina Thu 13-Oct-11 09:57:05

My ds is a bit younger but has declared he wants a metal detector. His plan is that I will hide coins around the garden and he will have treasure hunts. Would that grab your ds? Amazon do decent looking one (not toy one!) for £25 ish.

ihearttc Thu 13-Oct-11 10:23:13

oh yes that would...am wondering if we share the same child lol!

He does like to make things interesting for me...his one request last christmas was to meet James May who is his absolute idol but bad mummy didn't manage to pull that one off!

myBOYSareBONKERS Thu 13-Oct-11 13:51:13

A science kit

Easy to look after pet eg goldfish or a sea monkeys set

www.toysrus.co.uk/browse/product/learning/science;jsessionid=15EE06FB5190B185352F57AE9FF72B70.app05

myBOYSareBONKERS Thu 13-Oct-11 13:53:34

magazine subscription to an interest of his eg trains

myBOYSareBONKERS Thu 13-Oct-11 13:55:10

Tesco do a steam railway subscription via their clubcard points

mistlethrush Thu 13-Oct-11 14:04:42

My ds (6.5) likes lego, mechano (some great sets that have batteries), got a pair of binoculars for his birthday and subscription to the junior version of RSPB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now