Talk

Advanced search

Do you buy your animals a Christmas Present?

(18 Posts)
LordOfTheFlies Sat 08-Oct-11 23:39:05

Our cat ( dearly departed about 6 years now) was always a bit meh about Christmas but would happily trough down some duck liver just to be sociable.

We are looking to get some guinea-pigs soon and I'm sure my DD will insist they need presents.
I will shred the wrapping paper for them to play in and give them some sprouts.

feedthegoat Sat 08-Oct-11 23:44:33

Given the crazy rate I am already being suckered into spending on arm and a leg on our hamster, I expect so. Only had him about 5 weeks and he is costing more than the cat ever did.

I think it is because I feel guilty knowing that he is caged and relying on us for entertainment solely.

MonsterCherry Sat 08-Oct-11 23:44:38

yes- last year i only had rabbits and they had some treats. dog and cat will get a toy each and some treats too. no wrapping paper though as stupid dog wouldnt know what to do (she doesnt do playing or anything like that so her toy will be a teddy as she likes something to cuddle)

Hungrydragon Sat 08-Oct-11 23:45:03

yes blush but tbf my dog loves Xmas

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 08-Oct-11 23:56:19

Cat gets bits of giblets or, if he's lucky and I'm feeling rich, a whole raw pork steak to himself.

babycham42 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:58:23

The cat drank the milk put out for Santa in a glass under the tree,if that counts...

Carrotsandcelery Sun 09-Oct-11 00:01:37

Yes the dog will get a new tennis ball (will last at most about 30 mins but he will love it for that time) He will also get a little bit of Christmas dinner.
Guinea pigs and rabbits will get chew sticks or similar.
They are part of the family grin

Selks Sun 09-Oct-11 00:02:58

er

yes

<blush>

Selks Sun 09-Oct-11 00:03:44

and they get a turkey dinner <<blush>>

Hungrydragon Sun 09-Oct-11 00:08:13

Turkey dinner here too blush

And she unwraps her present blush

insanityscratching Sun 09-Oct-11 00:08:19

Dd I buy my neighbour's dog a Christmas present blush and what's more we wrap it and he expects it grin
Dd is allergic to animals but nips across regularly to give him a fuss in the garden and they love each other.

PastGrace Sun 09-Oct-11 00:09:38

My dog has a stocking - she gets a special Christmas chew for whilst we have dinner, a cheap toy that will probably last ages, and an expensive toy that will probably last about two minutes but that I thought was sweet. I wrap them all up in paper because she loves opening presents. Her job during the run up is taking the envelopes off cards grin.

She has an advent calendar too - one of those pocket ones and each pocket has a treat in. She has to do something for it, but instead of going to the boring tub we go to the advent calendar.

In my defence, my parents treat her like she's their only child so it only seems fair. And I love Christmas shopping.

Reading it back, we probably do go a bit overboard...

AuntGertrude Sun 09-Oct-11 08:34:48

In the day when we had lots of pets, the dog got a pack of dog treats wrapped up, the rabbits and guineapigs got nibble sticks, the hamsters or mice got a sachet of dried apple bits or choc drops, and the fish got a new bit of weed or decoration for the tank. About a tenner in all. They went in a stocking just for the animals and the kids would enjoy opening them.

girlywhirly Sun 09-Oct-11 14:31:29

Our cat gets a small stocking with lots of her favourite cat treats. It looks a lot, but they last a long time (weeks) and were what she would have had anyway! She gets scraps of our roast chicken too.

rubyrubyruby Sun 09-Oct-11 14:33:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catwithflowers Sun 09-Oct-11 14:58:31

Yes, I buy something nice for our 2 cats and the dog even though I know its really silly but we love thenm so don't care smile

BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 09-Oct-11 15:19:41

I'm getting ALL my animals a gift for christmas....I have:

Dogs x2 - a bone each, pack of treats, toy each.
Cat - treats, maybe a new scratching post if i can find a decent cheap one
Rabbits x2 - treats and a couple of treat balls, new tunnel
Guniea Pigs x4 - treats and a couple of treat balls
Gerbils x3 - treats and something for their cage (new house or something)
Hamsters x2 decent size treat each (but dont think my old girl will make it till Christmas sad
Degu x2 - some nuts smile and a new hidey hole
Snake - some new vines
Tortiose - some dandilion treats

....the dogs also have new coats to go out in over winter (so they get those early) blush

BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 09-Oct-11 15:20:04

<<BabyDubs is a certified nutter>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now