Talk

Advanced search

I really like the idea of baking a Christmas cake and slowly soaking it in booze...

(19 Posts)
Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 12:39:27

... but I don't actually like Christmas cake.

I like the marzipan and icing but not the cake, which rather defeats the point.

Is there anything else I can do this weekend or next weekend that will be good preparation? (After that I have very few free weekends before Christmas)

DiffedAgainDachs Sat 08-Oct-11 13:00:15

i assume you don't like xmas pud either? you can do the same with that...

or mincemeat?

<sulks because she still has loads of mincemeat left from last year so no excuse to make more...>

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 13:01:24

Ooh yes mincemeat.

I like mince pies!

Is this going to cost a fortune and not be any nicer than stuff in a jar?

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 08-Oct-11 13:02:49

What about making some chutney, or chilli jam (to use your lovely chillies!)

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 13:04:47

Chutney could be good. Not that I like chutney that much but I have little jars from last year and could give it to people.

I made chilli jam last year. It used loads of chillis, made my eyes sting with boiling vinegar, and then tasted almost exactly like the sweet chilli sauce that I can get 900ml of for £2 at the chinese supermarket.

DiffedAgainDachs Sat 08-Oct-11 13:06:28

home made mincemeat is FAR nicer than any shop bought stuff..... smile

DiffedAgainDachs Sat 08-Oct-11 13:06:54

(and much more boozy.... or it is the way I make it! smile )

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 13:12:02

Do you have a favourite recipe?

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 13:13:21

(that goes for both actually)

DiffedAgainDachs Sat 08-Oct-11 13:16:14

I'll have to look out my recipe - I'll pm it to you if you like smile

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 13:18:24

Ooh yes please smile I like to see personal recipes.

brookeslay Sat 08-Oct-11 14:33:47

Can i be cheeeky and ask for the mincemeat recipe too I made the Bettys mincemeat but I want one more alcoholic. Thanks

DiffedAgainDachs Sat 08-Oct-11 14:38:33

• 1 lb finely chopped suet
• 1 lb currants
• 1 lb raisins
• 1 lb chopped apples
• 1 lb sugar (I use a mix of light brown and dark brown)
• 1/2 lb sultanas
• 1/2 lb shredded mixed candied peel
• 2 lemons
• brandy or rum (I think the original recipe said 2 -3 tablespoons, but I use loads! (I start off with about 1/4 pint and add more until it looks nice and moist - sometimes use more than 1/2 pint - it depends on how juicy the fruit starts to look)
• cinnamon, allspice, ground ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves

1) Soak the dried fruit in brandy, ideally overnight. (I soak it in about 1/4 pint, then add more after I've mixed the sugar in the following day)
2) Mix in finely shredded lemon zest and the juice of the lemons.
3) Mix in spices to taste – I usually use about 1tbspn ginger and half a tbspn of the others, with just a small hint of nutmeg, but I like mine really well spiced. Other recipes recommend teaspoons rather than my tablespoons &#9786;
4) Chop the apples finely, into small cubes (I chop mine to about 0.5cm cubes)
5) Mix all the ingredients together until well mixed and the sugar has started to dissolve slightly into the liquid. Pack firmly into clean jars. Make sure you push it down well. Cover with brandy so the top doesn’t dry out.
Mix all the ingredients together, pack into jars, cover and keep in a cool, dry place. (Best if left for at least a month but can be used after a couple of days as long as it look well mixed and the sugar doesn’t look too undissolved)

ENormaSnob Sat 08-Oct-11 18:32:37

I want to make a Christmas cake too but I don't know anyone that likes it!

I might make some flavoured vodka and decorations instead.

Trills Sat 08-Oct-11 18:35:22

Oh yes flavoured vodka is good and easy and keeps well.

ENormaSnob Sat 08-Oct-11 18:57:14

I have a weeks annual leave early nov so going to make it then. Bet it doesn't last til Xmas wink Need to find some nice bottles to decant it into.

I have also washed out a million muller light pots so that dd can make some bells.

PassTheTwiglets Mon 10-Oct-11 09:43:07

I also hate Christmas Cake but love making it. So I just make one and give it to my family instead. Am doing it this afternoon in fact smile

vixsatis Mon 10-Oct-11 18:20:21

I'll settle for just slowly soaking in booze

brookeslay Mon 10-Oct-11 20:15:09

sounds gorgeous thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now