Talk

Advanced search

boxing day - leftover veg/bubble & squeak

(7 Posts)
justcallmemummypig Sat 08-Oct-11 11:35:48

does anyone have a good reciepe for bubble & squeak?

on boxing day we tend to eat the leftover turkey/ham etc with chutneys but thought maybe i could use leftover veggies to make bubble & sqeak or similar to go with it.

We usually have carrots/sprouts/parsnips/pots/red cabbage and cauli cheese on xmas day

purpleturtletoise Sat 08-Oct-11 11:38:02

I would just mash all the leftover veg together (maybe not the cauli cheese!), and fry it in a bit of oil. Different every time, but very yummy.

purpleturtletoise Sat 08-Oct-11 11:38:20

(And we'd eat it for breakfast)

maclover135 Sat 08-Oct-11 11:52:35

We just mash it all together with some extra potatoes and fry in a little olive oil. Serve with chutneys and leftover meats - yum. It's our traditional Boxing Day food and we love it so much that we always make sure to cook too many vegetables to ensure that we have enough for bubble and squeak!

justcallmemummypig Sat 08-Oct-11 11:56:29

we have roast potatoes so do you mash them, or do new mashed potatoes to hold it together?

I will def cook extra veg this year to do this with. I always have my parents here from xmas eve to 27th, so by boxing day am getting tired of the cooking/waitressing!

BertieBotts Sat 08-Oct-11 12:06:12

The one Jamie Oliver did in his Christmas programme last year is a really nice and foolproof way of doing it if you can find somewhere to watch it. You want at least 50% potato, he says. Don't pre-mash the potato, but you can boil some extra. I think he just heated some butter and oil in a pan, chucked all the veg leftovers in and then sort of mashed them/broke up big chunks/pressed them down in the frying pan with a potato masher.

wordsonapage Sat 08-Oct-11 12:10:57

You need to really squash it down to make a crust and leave it for a good while before flipping over.. and make sure you take the veg out of the fridge fo a while before cooking or it'll go squidgy and greasy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now