Talk

Advanced search

How many people do you buy for?

(32 Posts)
Carrieonsticking Fri 30-Sep-11 12:42:53

I've just written my list of people to buy presents for this Christmas. There's 44 people on it! And that's with some couples/ families getting a joint gift. Why did I fall in love with a bloke with such a large family?

cat64 Fri 30-Sep-11 12:55:13

Message withdrawn

reckoner Fri 30-Sep-11 13:02:35

probably about 15.

angelinterceptor Fri 30-Sep-11 13:04:49

I have a big family too - even leaving out the parents there are loads of neices & nephews and I can't work out if there should be a cut-off age for buying them anything.
some are in their 20s - hard to buy for, and plus I only can afford to spend about £10 each on them nowadays.

We have both sets of Parents, 18 neices/nephews, 2 great aunts - so only 24 plus some sundries which i will add on for sports coaches etc

PonceyMcPonce Fri 30-Sep-11 13:07:05

LSt year I bought for 63 people, plus the dds.

Never again. I'm trying to be family gifts rather than individuals.

LeoTheLateBloomer Fri 30-Sep-11 13:10:59

DD, parents, niece, nephew = 5

DSis and I have an agreement not to buy presents for each other and thanks to splitting up with DD's dad this year I now don't have his family to buy for. (Although I suppose DD should get him something so make that 6).

gregssausageroll Fri 30-Sep-11 13:12:59

It used to be loads. Then with the exception of children we did a secret santa for the whole family. £50 was the limit and that was the gift from everyone.

Now we just do children!

Carrieonsticking Fri 30-Sep-11 13:28:53

63 PonceyMcPonce!!
I'll stop complaining. I actually love all the Christmas planning and shopping but when you see it all written down it just seems so much.
I

PonceyMcPonce Fri 30-Sep-11 13:30:52

Often small thank you type gifts, but all need to be sourced within a budget and wrapped! Thank goodness we got snowed in for four days. Was q festive.

Dinosaurhunter Fri 30-Sep-11 13:33:50

30! That's mostly children as we now have the rule just buy for the children .

saythatagain Fri 30-Sep-11 13:34:59

Very few! DD, 5 x DN's, Ma & Pa
Many, many moons ago we (brothers & inlaws) decided to knock buying for the adults on the head.
I'm sooooo glad too!
Another bonus - most of the nephews are now getting to an age where they prefer money. Not very Christmassy/gifty but v v easy!

PonceyMcPonce Fri 30-Sep-11 13:37:20

I like to buy for adults! So often unappreciated.

I also make a point of taking single friends children out shopping for mums gift, as some absent fathers don't grrrr!

That is always fun!

PonceyMcPonce Fri 30-Sep-11 13:37:43

I mean the people are unappreciated, not the gifts!

olibeansmummy Fri 30-Sep-11 14:18:19

Wow!

Just ds, dh, 3 nieces, 1 nephew, 1 teenage brother and my parents.
All the adults have agreed not to do presents but we get something for my parents as they spoil us and especially ds rotten!

AyesToTheRight Fri 30-Sep-11 15:09:25

DS, DD
My mum and dad
My sister and her DH and their DC (as yet still in utero but will be here before Christmas smile)
Am not sure about position of H's family as we have separated but might get something for his brother's children. My DC will need to get something for him.
My god daughter and her brother

Think that's it. Which is managable I think smile

ToothlesstheDragon Fri 30-Sep-11 17:03:15

havent actually worked this out so will do now

in-laws
my parents
dc x 2
DH
My gran
Best friend and her dp
another friend, her 2 dc and her dp
friend, her dp and her dc
next door neighbour

i think thats it, so 18 in total. not too bad

peeriebear Fri 30-Sep-11 17:20:52

DH, DDs
Mum, dad, 2 sisters, 1 sister's bf
2 Grandparents, auntie+ her partner
2 friends
That's about it really! I don't buy for people just for the sake of it, I'll only buy if I know them well enough to choose something they'll hopefully love.

BabyDubsEverywhere Fri 30-Sep-11 19:06:40

34 including me Dh and our two. Will have to do a secret santa at college this year I think as well. Brass buttons dont seem to buy very much either unfortunatly sad

BabyDubsEverywhere Fri 30-Sep-11 19:15:53

Forgot the ds teacher, and my tutor...well its not really a problem, nothing stretches just as far for50 as for 5 i spose smile

Squitch Fri 30-Sep-11 20:20:52

I buy for 9 (and that's including myself - I always buy myself a couple of things that I know DP won't buy me and I'm always slightly suprised when I unwrap them Christmas morning - I have the memory of a ....)

TheOriginalNutcracker Fri 30-Sep-11 23:03:05

My 3 dc
Dad
Mum
Brother x2
Brothers gf
The dc's nephew
The dc's dad

So 10 in total.

OvO Fri 30-Sep-11 23:07:37

2 x DC
3 x nephews
2 x parents

And that's it. 7. Sounds a bit crappy really. But I have a huuuuge family and it could get a bit silly and very expensive.

CherryMonster Fri 30-Sep-11 23:37:59

my four dc's
my brother and sister
my parents
my best friend, her bloke and 4 kids,
my other good friend and her ds

15 in total, plus always get myself a few little bits to unwrap for the kids benefit.

MercyDulbottle Sat 01-Oct-11 09:00:54

DC's, my mum, DH.

agreed a few years ago with siblings not to do them, neices/nephews. Huge collective sighs of relief all round.

Soooo easy and enjoyable now.

gigglepin Sat 01-Oct-11 09:09:06

17 kids
about 10 adults.

Been saving all year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now