Talk

Advanced search

Board or other games to play with a 5YO that won't make me want to kill myself

(27 Posts)
CristinadellaPizza Thu 29-Sep-11 21:41:37

I hate snakes and ladders with a passion. Hungry hippos is noisy and pointless. We both quite enjoy top trumps and snap.

Any suggestions?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AriNi31 Thu 29-Sep-11 22:04:08

The orchard toys games are fun. My DS (4) loves The Gingerbread Man one, the Three Pigs and also Walk the Plank. He quite likes Kerplunk too.

MrsHeffley Thu 29-Sep-11 22:04:33

Hiss is fab, quite like Eeboo Candy matching game too.

LtEveDallas Thu 29-Sep-11 22:06:36

Guess Who worked best here, closely followed by Jenga, Tumbling Monkeys and Wobbaly

CristinadellaPizza Thu 29-Sep-11 22:11:13

ThinkFun look good but I want something for us to do together ideally because I get really, really bored playing Cars 2 but I'd like us to do more stuff together. We have the Shopping List game from Orchard which is alright so I shall check out the other ones. Jenga is a good idea - my parents have it and that's fun too.

I shall check out all the other suggestions. I want to get games for xmas this year rather than loads more plastic!

Is Operation suitable for a 5YO? I remember loving it as a kid

AyesToTheRight Thu 29-Sep-11 22:14:45

I find Monopoly Junior is good. I think there is an all singing all dancing version now but got ours in a charity shop. DD was 4 I think when we got it and understood it straight away.

yellowsubmarine41 Thu 29-Sep-11 22:15:08

It might be, depending on his fine motor skills and patience.

Someone gave us a set (I was delighted, we never had it as children) and I thinking of cracking it open for my 4 year old when the toddler isn't around.

hungrierhippo Thu 29-Sep-11 22:16:56

What about Frustration?

CocktailQueen Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:24

Junior Monopoly is great! Educational, fun, doesn't last too long smile Orchard toys too here. Crash Bang Wallop is good.

Rooble Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:37

We really like Uno, Rush Hour and Chase the Ace

angelpantser Thu 29-Sep-11 22:23:24

I third Junior Monopoly! DS (4) loves it. Good for practicing numbers too. If the game goes on a bit too long you can always forget to collect £2 when passing go grin blush

Canella Thu 29-Sep-11 22:27:37

Another vote for Junior Monopoly and Cluedo. But the fave game for the last 6 years has been a pirates game somoeone got DC1 as a present from Boots. Great game.
But Ludo is also a good game.

Canella Thu 29-Sep-11 22:28:27

Not cluedo!! Meant to write Uno (was thinking that Cluedo is prob too hard at that age!)

Carrotsandcelery Thu 29-Sep-11 22:33:28

There is one called "Tummy Ache" which we had as kids and loved and my dcs now have the modern version and love it too. It is very simple and easy to grasp the rules and a good laugh.

You basically each get a place setting at table on a card. You then take turns to choose a card from the pile. Some are yummy things to eat. Some are disgusting things with spiders or worms in them. The card will also have a cup or fork etc in it to show you where on the place setting card it should go. The first person to get a complete edible meal wins.

Quick, simple and fun.

Carrotsandcelery Thu 29-Sep-11 22:35:24

The House That Jack Built and Beetle are also simple and good fun.

The Lego games never go wrong.

Connect Four, Guess Who and Kerplunk are also enjoyable although Kerplunk can be a bit frustrating.

Pictureureka (sp?) is simple and fun too.

trumpton Thu 29-Sep-11 22:44:45

Best game I ever bought. I have been playing it with my GD since she was 5 altho the age range recommends 8. ( steath boast)grin

5inthebed Thu 29-Sep-11 22:46:19

Pumpaloons. Honestly!

I thought "what a crap game" but my three love it after trying it at a friends house. Im getting one of them it for Christmas.

DimDimmy Thu 29-Sep-11 22:58:27

UNO!

Have 5 and 7 year old DCS. We have the following Orchard ones.

Tummy Ache is popular with all of us (see who can make the loudest groaning and yuck noises when you get the tummyache cards).

Bus Stop is tedious to adults but enjoyed by children.

Ladybirds is simpler but still quite enjoyable

Greedy Gorilla is loved by the DCs.

Other than Orchard ones, we all like Coppit, Guess Who, Connect 4. Kerplunk takes too long to build. Operation is too hard. Uno is good.

sevenoften Fri 30-Sep-11 19:39:22

Junior Cranium is excellent but must have at least 4. Not sure how big your family is. But it is the only board game that I actively enjoy playing with the dcs. The rest I do to keep them happy - although I agree that many of the ones suggested here are better than the average.

Hiss, Tummy Ache and the Shopping List game were all Orchard favourites. Uno never goes wrong, either.

CristinadellaPizza Fri 30-Sep-11 19:50:54

Some ace suggestions here, thanks so much smile We are but two so any 4 player plus games are a bit beyond us (unless we involve Ted and Mickey but they're rubbish and cheat loads)

attheendoftheday Sun 02-Oct-11 12:20:04

Kids of Catan is pricey but good.

Sagaland says to play from 6, but I think a 5 year old would be fine. It can be played with two people.

Can get both on Amazon.0

attheendoftheday Sun 02-Oct-11 12:24:15

That should have said Kids from Catan. It can be played with two people too.

justcallmemummypig Mon 03-Oct-11 11:01:47

Bingo - they love it and great for numbers! It comes with cards but we bought a book of bingo tickets and dabbers from the pound shop fab!

Guess Who, Pop to the Shops is a favourite & actually loads of the orchard toys games..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now