Talk

Advanced search

filtering vodkas... eeek!

(17 Posts)
AmaraDresden Mon 26-Sep-11 18:26:34

I could have cooked dinner in the time it's taken to filter my christmas pudding vodka only 300ml done so far! I'm using cheap morrison's coffee filters, is it my own fault for being a tight arse?

If there's any sediment in these bottles after it taking so long I'm gonna drink it all now in frustration!

How do you filter yours?

SkivingAgain Mon 26-Sep-11 21:23:19

Christmas pudding vodka? How intriguing, please tell me more......

CristinadellaPizza Mon 26-Sep-11 21:25:28

I did mine through a piece of old shirt - very very fine cotton. Although my friend tells me the best way is to do it five times through a water filter (not a cheap option though!)

I've not tried xmas pudding vodka though grin

AmaraDresden Mon 26-Sep-11 21:25:59

Skiving - there's recipes all over the christmas board, I basically mashed mine tho lol, mixed fruit, dark brown sugar, lemon and orange peel with star anise, cloves and cinnamon. Absolutely lethal but sooo warming. It's going to taste fabulous after a cold walk, or with cream soda.

AmaraDresden Mon 26-Sep-11 21:26:00

Skiving - there's recipes all over the christmas board, I basically mashed mine tho lol, mixed fruit, dark brown sugar, lemon and orange peel with star anise, cloves and cinnamon. Absolutely lethal but sooo warming. It's going to taste fabulous after a cold walk, or with cream soda.

AmaraDresden Mon 26-Sep-11 21:27:25

Oooh! I have a water filter we don't use! But then again, I hate the way it makes my water taste lol.

AmaraDresden Mon 26-Sep-11 21:27:25

Oooh! I have a water filter we don't use! But then again, I hate the way it makes my water taste lol.

PastGrace Tue 27-Sep-11 17:52:01

I find coffee filters do take ages with skittles vodka. I favour a few layers of (good quality) kitchen roll lining a fine sieve over a bowl. You could maybe do this and then coffee filter afterwards if you are worried?

SkivingAgain Tue 27-Sep-11 18:17:11

is this a similar idea to sloe/damson gin? Does filtering remove the colour?

<heads off to find christmas board>

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 27-Sep-11 18:24:20

yes coffee filters

don't use muslin, it soaks up too much of the liquor shock

AmaraDresden Tue 27-Sep-11 23:47:58

Boys - definitely will persevere with coffee filters then, I don't want to lose the best bit ;)

Skiving - yes vodka instead of gin, I've made blackberry vodka too but that's not ready yet, filtering just takes the bits out so it is lush smooth liquid instead of full of sediment. The colour is still the same as it was.

AmaraDresden Tue 27-Sep-11 23:47:58

Boys - definitely will persevere with coffee filters then, I don't want to lose the best bit ;)

Skiving - yes vodka instead of gin, I've made blackberry vodka too but that's not ready yet, filtering just takes the bits out so it is lush smooth liquid instead of full of sediment. The colour is still the same as it was.

BiddyPop Thu 29-Sep-11 09:23:58

What about a run through a sieve to get the big pieces out, the through a small piece of muslin or the coffee filters when it's far less stuff to block up the holes?

I've always ended up using a large muslin for my various concoctions, or left a lovely bottom of pulpy fruitiness in the raspberry version (having taken out the large whole fruits).

BiddyPop Thu 29-Sep-11 09:30:25

BTW I can't find a recipe (I could be looking in the wrong place sorry) - but could you either point me in the direction of a recipe or, could you please post the quantities/proportions in yours AmaraDresden please? Thanks, am so intrigued by that notion now!

AmaraDresden Thu 29-Sep-11 14:02:57

I didn't stick to the recipe I found on here but it was about 200g mixed sultanas,raisins, currants, with about 100g dark brown sugar, then I used a milled wine spice pack of cinnamon, cloves, star anise that I found on offer. Not much help I'm afraid, I think I found a basic recipe for it on last year's fellatio nelson's poncetastic thread tho

BiddyPop Fri 30-Sep-11 09:57:04

Thanks AD, it gives me a rough idea about proportions, and somewhere to go and lose hours this weekend having a browse!!

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 30-Sep-11 10:00:27

Biddy, scroll down for the recipe for Xmas Pudding Vodka, tis yum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now