Talk

Advanced search

Play kitchen- will I regret it?

(35 Posts)
fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 26-Sep-11 14:29:35

I've seen the most beautiful wooden toy kitchen for very cheap locally, but considering the space it'll take up will I end up regretting it? It would mainly be for ds who is 3, but I also have a 7 yo dd and one on the way. Is it one of those things that ends up languishing in the corner or are they generally get well used?

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 26-Sep-11 14:30:46

Ours is languishing in the corner but unfortunately can't get rid of it (DP made it). Visiting children love it though - maybe I should hire it out smile

tabulahrasa Mon 26-Sep-11 14:32:25

yes -either they'll never play with it and it'll sit there mocking you with it's largeness or they'll love it and you'll be forced to pretend to eat pretend cooking, again and again and again....

paddypoopants Mon 26-Sep-11 14:33:55

I bought a lovely wooden one from my sister for my ds who was 2.5. It languished and I got rid. Turned out it languished in dsis house for 2 years and her dd didn't play much with it either. Ds played with it in dsis house but once it was here as soon as he got over the first novelty he never bothered- I kept jigsaws and firenegines in it. Shelves would've taken up less room.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 26-Sep-11 14:35:16

Hmm, maybe I know it will just gather dust. But it would be such a cool present to wrap up and have under the tree blush. I think maybe I'll leave it as a bargain for someone with more space then.

Stokey38 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:38:56

www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/show%20all/Cote-Cuisine-Play-Kitchen-/10000002452 we got this one for DD last year and it's not huge so doesn't take up too much room. I have to say though that she hardly plays with it but my DS loves it and all visiting children seem to as well!

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 26-Sep-11 14:42:13

There are small wooden ones that you can buy, like this which are small enough to fit in the bin cupboard when you are sick of the sight of them.

ELC do one as well but it makes really irritating noises, be warned.

picnicbasketcase Mon 26-Sep-11 14:47:17

DD has one but it lives at GP's house. She loves it and plays with it a lot when we're there, probably because it's not at our house so it's still a novelty. Plus it's not taking up room in my house. Bonus. No chance of any lovely family members buying it and keeping at their house?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 26-Sep-11 14:49:13

Possibly picnic, my dp's parents have a shed that I would have chucked it in til Christmas anyway, so I might see if its somrthing they coudl keep there if I do buy it. It's so cool, it's but ridiculously cheap

LaTristesseDurera Mon 26-Sep-11 15:00:11

We got ds2 the Ikea one for christmas last year when he was 1.5. He has played with it loads and ds1 can often be found playing with it too (he's 9). Ds2 loves all kitchen things though. It does take up a bit of room but all his play food, pans etc fit inside which makes tidying up at the end of the day easier.

VajazzleMyFoof Mon 26-Sep-11 15:05:51

We spent £250 on a joint present for the boys last Christmas. I think we were more exited about it as they completly ignored it on Christmas morning to open their other presents and have only played with it twice since Christmas.

I was a bit upset, because i thought they would love it. I bought lots of lovely wooden food and pots and pans.
They are only 2 and 3 though and are little boys. So maybe in a few years it might interest them.

BabyDubsEverywhere Mon 26-Sep-11 15:09:25

Errm, hate to say this, but that is the one I have bought my two for Christmas, its secondhand but looks brand new, came with a tonne of accessories and trolleys for ........£50...sorry blush

stinkyfluffycat Mon 26-Sep-11 15:09:45

Ours gets played with loads - we do have to sit in DD's bedroom eating pretend food a lot though.. Also, they are large but at least they're large and against a wall, not like a train set in the middle of the floor, or a trike left in the hall (can you tell I trip over a lot?)

QuickLookBusy Mon 26-Sep-11 15:14:34

My 2 DDs loved their kitchen and we got years of play from it.

We used to put it outside in the summer and they made a lot of mud pies and grass tea with daisies floating on the top. It was a plastic one though so might be a bit more weather proof than wood.

It was one of the best things we bought toywise.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 26-Sep-11 15:16:04

Babydubs are you in the westcountry? This one's 50 quid too

BabyDubsEverywhere Mon 26-Sep-11 15:19:32

West midlands, it wont be the one you're looking at though, I bought mine through preloved smile If its £50 get it, its a solid kitchen and if they dont like it you'll get your money back for it anyway (can you tell how i rationalised it grin )

Petisa Mon 26-Sep-11 15:21:57

Hmm I'm wondering whether to get one too. And which one to get. 50 quid sounds great.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 26-Sep-11 15:22:40

That's what I'm thinking baby, I told them I'd call them with a definate answer tomorrow, if between now and Christmas, or even after, I change my mind, I figure I can get my money back. Argh, don't know what to do. At £50 it is a bargain.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 26-Sep-11 15:27:18

Depends. DD had one, which we fecked out into the bin garden when we thought she'd lost interest. Then a kindly uncle bought her another one and 2 years later she's still addicted to it. Will often drop what she's doing to go and make us a cup of tea. Unfortunately she's only 3.8 so it's not the real deal but soon, we're training her up!

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 26-Sep-11 15:28:59

tbh if it's only I'd buy it for £50 then ebay it before Christmas <mercinary>

SummerRain Mon 26-Sep-11 15:31:19

We got one when dd was little and it's had tonnes of use through 3 kids. I just wish I could have afforded a woooden one as they've wrecked the teeny tiny plastic one that we could afford and I'm lusting after that kiddikraft one now grin

They'd all use it too but the christmas lists are too long (read expensive) already [arrghh] If it was 50 quid I'd get it in a heartbeat!

thisisyesterday Mon 26-Sep-11 15:33:31

no get it!

we got one and all 3 of my boys LOVE it

Floggingmolly Mon 26-Sep-11 16:44:53

Fuckity. When I clinked on the eBay link the current bid was £155? Fab kitchen though.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 26-Sep-11 17:40:08

I'm not buying from Ebay molly, don't worry. I was just tryign to find a picture of the kitchen. If it's still available tomorrow I'll buy it I think. It will make a fab present

soverylucky Mon 26-Sep-11 20:31:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now