Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake with the wrong tins?

(18 Posts)
pallymama Sun 25-Sep-11 07:14:42

If I cook christmas cake in two shallow round tins, and stick them together with a layer of marzipan before icing, will it work? Or are they likely to be nasty and dry?

I only have shallow cake tins, a loaf tin. The only thing I have that's the right size and shape is a big caserole dish! confused Would any of this work, or do I need to go buy a deep tin?

pallymama Sun 25-Sep-11 09:01:54

I'm not brave enough to risk ruining it! Heading out in a bit to hunt for a suitable tin.

KinkyDorito Sun 25-Sep-11 11:55:41

Good luck! grin

Imnotaslimjim Sun 25-Sep-11 11:57:31

I'm glad you saw sense, as no, that would never work. Try Wilkinsons for good quality low cost tins. Hope it goes well, Delia Smiths recipe is fab

hellhasnofury Sun 25-Sep-11 11:58:43

I agree. it wouldn't work.

KinkyDorito Sun 25-Sep-11 11:59:20

Imnotaslimjim I want to make the Delia cake (my first ever cake). I want to use amaretto to soak the fruit. Do you know when I should start soaking and when I should bake it? I would really appreciate any help as I am quite clueless!

pallymama Sun 25-Sep-11 14:03:47

Just got back from a rather lengthy ikea trip! Got a big tin and a lot of pretty crap I don't actually need! I am also using the Delia recipe, although without candied peel. I read on an old thread that you should soak it for at least 24 hours, but even up to a week would be fine. I think I'll give it 48 hours, then make and bake.

hellhasnofury Sun 25-Sep-11 14:22:34

I'm not Imnotaslimjim but I can answer if it helps.

I soak my fruit overnight if I can be bothered (it really doesn't make a huge difference to be honest) and you can make the cake any time. I've done mine today, they'll keep well if you wrap them in greaseproof and store in a cake tin. I open mine up every so often and drizzle more alcohol over it then rewrap once the alcohol has sunk in.

deemented Sun 25-Sep-11 14:27:44

Mines baking at the moment.

I should have used a round tin, but have used a square one instead as it'll be easier to cut into squares.

I haven't soaked my fruit either.

Bunbaker Sun 25-Sep-11 14:28:12

Onw of the golden rules of successful baking is to use the right size tin, so the answer is no, you will get a very dry and possibly burnt result. Cake tins can be picked up very cheaply at Wilkinsons or any supermarket. It doesn't matter if the tin is non stick either as long as you use baking parchment not greaseproof paper.

KinkyDorito Sun 25-Sep-11 14:35:42

Thanks for all the help! I am shopping tomorrow so will get some fruit and a cake tin.

startail Sun 25-Sep-11 14:47:29

Yes, two layers of baking parchment, well greased and any cheap deep tin will do.
Then soak the fruit for at least 24 hrs.
Dried fruit etc is too expensive to risk shallow sponge tins, I'm sure it would be dry.
I had a horrible fan oven in my old house and the only way to get edible Xmas cake was to tie several layers of newspaper round the outside of the tin so they stood a good 3cm higher than the top. Else the stupid thing dried the sides and top of the cake, without cooking the centre.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 25-Sep-11 18:14:45

Yep, doesn't make a huge^ amount of difference to how long you soak your fruit for. I've done overnight and I've done a couple of hours and they've both come out the same

If you find the cake is getting too brown on the top, fold a shet of greasproof on half then cut a hole in the middle and place on top, that will keep the heat off

prolificwillybreeder Sun 25-Sep-11 19:02:18

Dumb question but: I'm halving my recipe thus halving tin size that ok?

Imnotaslimjim Sun 25-Sep-11 19:38:36

It doesn't quite work like that. If you think that four 4 inch tins would fit inside an 8 inch, if you are halving the recipe, you need a tin a quarter of the size. I've explained it really badly so I hope you can see what I mean

Bunbaker Sun 25-Sep-11 19:48:01

This link might help you work out the correct recipe for your tin size.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 25-Sep-11 20:06:57

I use Amaretto to soak my fruit and feed the cake.
I don't like a dark ,heavy cake so I use caster sugar, sultanas, nuts and cherries.
I make my own marzipan (with Amaretto of course)

My cakes are already done (I made 3 as I was doing my parents Wedding Anniversary cake, so I've already sampled one. Yum)

prolificwillybreeder Sun 25-Sep-11 22:08:23

Ah Delia! Brilliant thank you! I now understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now