Talk

Advanced search

Family present?

(9 Posts)
Ismeyes Fri 23-Sep-11 20:03:45

We are spending Christmas at home, just the three of us, which is lovely because usually we spend Christmas trying to visit far flung family in between both of us needing to work and arrange non-existant childcare!

Anyway, I'd like to get a present that I plan will 'appear' under the tree after Christmas dinner for all of us, ideally something we can all do/play together that afternoon. DD is five and likes board games, computer games (we have a wii) and making stuff. Does anyone having a recommendations of something that will ideally be great fun and appeal to all of us?

belledechocchipcookie Sat 24-Sep-11 15:18:20

Twister.

suntansue Sat 24-Sep-11 17:30:13

We got picturika last crimbo for the family and the Boys really liked it, they were 6 and 4 and played it well along with nanny and grandad grin I got it from toys r us in the 3 for 2 offer

belledechocchipcookie Sat 24-Sep-11 18:18:06

The cranium type games are fun, there's one for little people where they have to draw/use play dough.

MowlemB Sun 25-Sep-11 16:40:09

I'm looking to get the new pictionary family 25th anniversary game as it has got two levels of clues - one for children aged 4 - 8 and one for children and adults.

[[ www.amazon.co.uk/Pictionary-Family-25-Anniversary/dp/B004JHQLJ4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1316964797&sr=8-12]]

Alternatively, the other game we all love playing together is Uno extreme. My 4 year old DD needs a bit of help with her cards, but its a game that is fun for both adults and children alike. And as a card game, it is not too tedious for adults.

www.amazon.co.uk/Mattel-Uno-Extreme/dp/B000051ZL0/ref=sr_1_4?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1316964961&sr=1-4

Otherwise, we all like playing Sorry - but this game is no longer available in the UK. You could either ship from America or get second hand off ebay. basically, it is like Ludo except you go round the board and try to kill each other. As we adults bear grudges, the game seems to go on forever, as my DH and I are always trying to get revenge win.

www.amazon.co.uk/Hasbro-00390095-Sorry/dp/B00000IWD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1316965042&sr=1-1

Otherwise a Wii game - My DDs (7 and 4) love the dancing games, or raving rabbids or winter olympics.

HTh

dannyblanchflower Sun 25-Sep-11 16:50:22

We do this - although it is a present from the cat and it sometimes appears on Christmas Eve or Boxing Day instead depending on family visits, who is at work etc. It is lovely to have something to do as a whole family that isn't building lego models (old days) or synching phones (now they are older!)

What the cat buys depends on his finances but recently we have had Mario Kart, Game of Life, Rock Band for the Wii (my fave year!), rummicub, cranium, etc. Last year we had new monopoly which comes with a gadget that keeps track of all the money etc. It time limits the game and there's no counting up at the end - makes it a really good game!

Cat is thinking about a Wii dance game this year - not sure how DS (18) will react!

mummymccar Tue 27-Sep-11 14:11:04

Debenhams do a great little game for £5 which is like Russian roulette but with chocolate. You spin the picture of the gun and eat the chocolate underneath the number it lands on. One of the chocolates is actuly a whole Chili covered in chocolate. Maybe one more for the adults but great fun! We've played it every year for the last 5.

Ismeyes Tue 27-Sep-11 15:26:42

Thanks for all these suggestions they all sound great, now I just have to choose!!

MowlemB Tue 27-Sep-11 20:08:57

We play the chocolate roulette game too - my girls love it!

To make it last a bit longer, we use it between rounds of cards - so whoever loses the cards has to have a go on the roulette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now