Talk

Advanced search

No room for a Christmas tree? I have possible solutions.

(4 Posts)
girlywhirly Fri 23-Sep-11 14:46:49

No floor space, or need to keep your tree out of reach of marauding DC and pets? Try a wall mounted tree! Basically a Christmas tree cut in half along its' length.

I have been looking on xmasdirect.co.uk and they have two types, plain or one with berries and a little basket over the trunk. The plain are available as 4ft, 5ft, 6.5ft, and 8ft and prices start at £35.99. The berried one is either 4ft or 5ft and start at £47.99.

I imagine you'd need a fairly big screw in the wall to take the weight of the large ones! However, you can put lights and decorations on them as usual.

For those with just no floor space, they offer floor standing half trees, a 6ft costs £71.49!

Interesting that half a tree is more expensive than a whole one. However, I think you could modify your existing artificial tree or buy a cheap one or pre-loved one to create the same effect.

With a tree that has hook on branches, simply leave off the back ones and stand the tree against the wall. For hinged, leave the back branches upwards. This can also be done if you want to stand your tree in a corner. A cheap tree could have its' branches bent a bit to make the tree appear more full. A wall hanging tree could probably be created from the top parts of a full tree in this way, and you could devise some way of covering the base of the 'trunk', and a loop of something to hang it by.

I have two small half trees myself, and they are brilliant. I was lucky though, because I bought them in a post Christmas sale and they were really good value. Since then there have been very few on sale anywhere, and last year there were a few requests on the Christmas topic for some sort of space saving Christmas tree for the reasons above, so I thought I'd put my ideas up for grabs so that mnetters can consider whether they really need to fork out for another expensive tree, or can save a bit of money by making something themselves.

GalaxyWeaver Sat 24-Sep-11 11:41:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

girlywhirly Sat 24-Sep-11 14:59:45

My mum used to have a 2' 6'' tree that she put on a table or sideboard, it saved it from the rabbit!

I was thinking more of small rooms and limited surfaces, if someone is temporarily renting or something like that. And my DS childminders' tree was in daily peril from her mindees, but she had nowhere else to put it except her lounge.

TheOriginalNutcracker Sat 24-Sep-11 15:02:12

Yeh my dad did this one year. He just left all of the branches off the back of the tree and made a bracket for it to hang on the wall. It looked quite good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now