Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me get excited about Christmas for my 2yo?

(8 Posts)
ArmageddonOuttahere Fri 23-Sep-11 09:28:15

Christmas has bad memories for me, I've often described it as my least favourite day of the year. I've not really celebrated it for years.

But DS is two now and I want him to have the chance to feel excited and involved in the atmosphere.

I know he's still too young to really understand, but what things can I do to give a toddler a lovely Christmas?

ToothlesstheDragon Fri 23-Sep-11 10:19:02

let him help you decorate the house, make little decorations with him. Read him seasonal stories. One snowy night was a hit with my DS when he was 2. Its about little woodland creatures and is pretty sweet. Go for walks, bake together. Basically do everything you would normally but add a little festive flair to it all. Do the christmas eve hamper thing, surround him with the ott magic of the whole thing.

I used to really hate christmas for a long time. TBH this is the year i'm really looking forward to, even if it feels like just another day to you, by making it special for your dc, you'll make it special for you too

"passes you bucket to barf in now"

DoubleDegreeStudent Fri 23-Sep-11 11:33:19

Try and make it all about the week or two before Christmas Day, so you don't pin all your hopes on making one day perfect. In my experience that is when it all falls apart a bit.

Do a Christmassy thing each day like snowy/frosty walks, going to a grotto, going to hear carols and then your DS will be so wrapped up in the magic of it that the day will be great whatever happens. Hopefully you will get in the mood a bit too, but if not then your DS will have had a lovely few weeks and you'll gradually get better at feigning excitement.

Do you bake? Make homemade tree decorations out of gingerbread, or a gingerbread house which DS can help you decorate.

One of the most important things in our house was that everyone got to stir the Christmas pudding and make a wish. Anyone in the house at the time HAD to do it (even workmen!). I had some friends who were living abroad come and stay when I was at school and my mum delayed the pudding making so they could join in.

If all else fails, on Christmas eve snuggle up with The Snowman or The Muppets Christmas Carol on DVD, get some mulled wine/warm milk/ribena. Think of this as a trial year to work out what works well and what stresses you out/isn't enjoyable.

ShowOfHands Fri 23-Sep-11 11:41:44

It's such a magical time for them at that age. I think 2 is the perfect age to start creating positive associations. For both of you.

We made paperchains, baked orange slices and strung them up, gingerbread tree decorations, glittery paper snowflakes on every surface, singing carols, telling stories etc. We made it a couple of weeks of lead up and a simple advent calendar to visually express how long it was until the day. We also started the Christmas Hamper tradition on the 24th at that age (new pjs, a book, a film, hot chocolate, mug etc) and did the whole floury footprints, leaving out a mince pie/carrot for FC and the reindeer etc.

We also took dd along to church services, helped out with the local soup runs/Christmas dinners and donated toys and gifts to the local shelters to reinforce other important aspects.

MonsterBookOfTysons Fri 23-Sep-11 11:44:45

I started taking ds to see Santa in his grotto at 18 months old. It is a tradition now that we go and get a photo. It helps get me in the mood for christmas.
Also I am not into going to church but do like the carol service. smile

ArmageddonOuttahere Fri 23-Sep-11 12:44:16

Thank you everyone, that's really inspirational stuff. I'm not the world's best baker, but I can have a bash grin and DS would love sticking paper chains together and the like. You're right - now's the time to make our own traditions.

Now I just have to inspire grumpy old DH..

girlywhirly Fri 23-Sep-11 13:35:55

You can make very effective paper chains by cutting Christmas wrapping paper (especially metallic type) into strips and sticking together with tape. The lick and stick maufactured sort tend to come apart a lot. DS will be so proud to see decorations that he has made displayed in your home.

Even going to garden centres and looking at their displays can be magical for a toddler, or looking at peoples outdoor lights displays after dark in the neighbourhood.

strandednomore Fri 23-Sep-11 13:42:51

Every year we chose a new decoration for the tree (one for each of us), we go to the same place each year to buy it (well, we have when we are in the UK, we have had a Christmas overseas and last year we returned home four days before Christmas so barely had enough time for presents let alone decorations!).

I agree with others, try out new traditions now and see what sticks. I like the hamper idea...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now