Talk

Advanced search

Christmas tree v's baby

(10 Posts)
chirpchirp Thu 22-Sep-11 19:50:06

I have a 6ft tree (sadly artifical at husband's demand) and a DS who will be 13 months at Christmas. Can both co-exist peacefully, or am I going to have to re-think things until his curiosity to eat/shake/throw EVERYTHING wears off?

PizzaEmpress Thu 22-Sep-11 19:52:31

The tree will be fine.

Grumpla Thu 22-Sep-11 19:54:00

Well, I'd leave off the fragile glass heirloom baubles for a year or so but apart from that I wouldn't worry about it. If it's plastic it's presumably not that heavy, so if he does pull it down on top of himself he'll probably survive!

HarrietJones Thu 22-Sep-11 20:01:25

I had a fireguard around mine for years as dd2 kept climbing it.

neversaydie Thu 22-Sep-11 20:12:46

Buy a playpen and then put the tree in the playpen!

Bollocks2u Thu 22-Sep-11 20:23:37

I did the play pen thing blush

SazZaVoom Thu 22-Sep-11 20:27:39

Mine were told to leave it alone and were mostly fine as babies of 13 months/16 months. It was tied to the beam to stop it being yanked over by accident.
All children are different, but i reckon you should at least try with it up, repeat that he must not touch it and see how you go. You can always remove it if it turns into a right PITA/battle of wills

sunnyday123 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:43:51

should be fine as you wouldnt leave a 13 month alone anyway - its just whether you'll get sick of telling him off!

Doilooklikeatourist Thu 22-Sep-11 20:53:32

DS was 8 months old first Christmas and not bothered about tree ( didn't crawl or bum shuffle so easy ) 2nd Christmas he loved the tree , I ( stupidly) didn't understand why all the lovingly tied on chocolate baubles were disappearing until I realised DS smelt of dairy milk ....
Tie the chocolate out of reach , and the glass sparkly touchy feely things .
Possibly think of dear child as you would a naughty kitten ?

girlywhirly Fri 23-Sep-11 10:18:26

Definitely use unbreakable stuff on the tree, DS was 16 m on his 2nd Christmas, but was really good. We allowed him to touch the tree (a real one) but it was a bit prickly so he wasn't bothered. If he touched the decs we said 'gently' as we did when he touched the cats.

In fact, it was the cats who hoiked the odd bauble off to roll about during the night, DS was fine. It helps if you reduce the time that the tree is actually up, because we had a real one it went up mid Dec, so down again by 6th Jan.

I still have to be careful with tree decs even now, because our current cat took to climbing the artificial tree!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now